Getting used to sugars

Samantha1991

Hello,
I have been diagnosed as type 1 in the last week.
It is all very new for me, and the Diabetes clinic has been really helpful. The only problem is, I have a thousand questions every time I go in... and invariably never ask the right ones!

I am on Insulin, Novorapid and Tresiba.

But, I don’t think I was ever told how often to test my blood sugars. I started every morning and before bed. But, I am getting the impression that this is nowhere near enough. Also, I have heard I would be aiming for 5-7, but is this pre or post meal? Or both? My sugars started at 20 last week. But, I have worked hard to get them down. But, they still fluctuate between 5 and 9ish. Is the 8 or 9 at bedtime normal, or is that still too high?

Thanks for any advice!

Samantha

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Evening, and welcome to the club none of us wanted to join. Side effects of membership include developing resilience, and sheer bloodymindedness :)

First hing in the morning, before you eat, and two hours after a meal is ideal - plus iff you feel lo, high or just a bit off. And if you drive, within 2 hours of setting off and every two hours until the end of your journey. Seems daunting, but it'll give you a much better picture of how your insulin and food affects your levels. Are you on fixed doses?

Ideally we want 4-6 before a meal and up to 8 after, but that's once things settle down into some sort of new normal. 8-9 at bedtime is a good, safe starting point, what do you wake up at?

Come and join our Type 1 Stars thread, there's loads of chat about living with the thing, and a lot of extra random stuff too x
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/type-1stars-r-us.150597/

Reactions: kaylz91

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
I have been diagnosed as type 1 in the last week.
It is all very new for me, and the Diabetes clinic has been really helpful. The only problem is, I have a thousand questions every time I go in... and invariably never ask the right ones!

I am on Insulin, Novorapid and Tresiba.

But, I don’t think I was ever told how often to test my blood sugars. I started every morning and before bed. But, I am getting the impression that this is nowhere near enough. Also, I have heard I would be aiming for 5-7, but is this pre or post meal? Or both? My sugars started at 20 last week. But, I have worked hard to get them down. But, they still fluctuate between 5 and 9ish. Is the 8 or 9 at bedtime normal, or is that still too high?

Thanks for any advice!

Samantha
Hello,
I’m not sure how much help I can be as I am in similar boat, started insulin about 2 weeks ago. I’ve been told to test before each meal and before bedtime. Before driving and if I feel low. I’m actually testing many times a day, as my bs seem to be all over the place.
Like you I also was getting blood sugar readings of 12-21. So I’ve felt the lows this last week. My nurse wrote in the book 5-8 is my target numbers. She said not to test after meals as I will go up but wants to see they’re back down in range before next meal and bed. End of day was always my highest readings!
I’m on fixed doses and finding it quite hard. Between 5-9 seems pretty good to me! But like you I’m used to seeing 16, or 19 etc.
Are you seeing any lows yet? I’ve been dipping under 4.
Best of luck with it all.

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, I’ve just started insulin on Tuesday - basal (Tresiba) only just now but starting novorapid later this month I think. My numbers are starting to come down (think it takes a few days) but still a bit higher at bedtime.
I check when I wake up, before lunch, dinner and bed and if I feel a bit woozy (only once and it was fine)
It’s quite a lot to get your head around isn’t it x

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, I’ve just started insulin on Tuesday - basal (Tresiba) only just now but starting novorapid later this month I think. My numbers are starting to come down (think it takes a few days) but still a bit higher at bedtime.
I check when I wake up, before lunch, dinner and bed and if I feel a bit woozy (only once and it was fine)
It’s quite a lot to get your head around isn’t it x
It is a lot to get head around, I’m so glad I’m not alone there. Good luck starting novorapid and fantastic you are seeing lower bs readings already and hopefully feeling better with that.

Reactions: JMoli

JPW1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, diagnosed late December 2019, I've stopped doing the 2 hour after check some of the time now, because I eat the same things most mornings for example, and no how I typically respond, but otherwise exactly what the others say. It took me about 3 weeks to get the right amounts of insulin, and get my levels into range (most of the time) - but there are still weird results sometimes, and there are so many variables with diabetes. I always test before bed and before meals.

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It is a lot to get head around, I’m so glad I’m not alone there. Good luck starting novorapid and fantastic you are seeing lower bs readings already and hopefully feeling better with that.

Thanks, bit intimidated by the bolus thing tbh. I’m on gliclazide just now (I’ve been on it since early January) but I just don’t think it’s done anything but the nurse insists it has? Having said that she’s told me to stop them once I start the novorapid. I’ve been reading the ‘Think like a pancreas’ book to try and prep for it all but I’ve just made myself super confused!

Samantha1991

Looks like a lot of us are in a similar boat. I do a fixed amount for my basal and then carb count for my fast acting. I’ve had some lows, but also been feeling like I’m having hypos when I am in the 5s. My diabetes nurse said it is like a false hypo because my body is so used to higher sugars it is getting used to them getting lower.

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all
I was diagnosed last april , and in the way home from hospital after a terrible DKA I bought a freestyle libre.
I believe that when the consultant recommended I did this it was the best bit of advise ever.
Really really helped.

Good luck to you all x

Reactions: JMoli

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @Samantha1991
@Mad76 is right a Libre will make everything easier and you will learn a lot more.

But given that, the more you test, the more you will learn and know. But always when you get up, because at some point you will want to make an adjustment/correction to the number, or not, if not needed. Before you eat, because the same principle applies, you might need a correction dose with your meal dose. Personally I don't even eat until I am in my acceptable range. And then after you eat 2-3 hours to make sure you are coming down and not astronomically high. Bedtime can be trickier because dosing isn't always recommended unless you are really off, but you don't want to be too low when you go to sleep.

Learn carb counting as soon as possible. It will make your dosing more accurate. And if you are dropping too much your basal rate could be off and a basal test would be helpful. Plus when you are newly diagnosed it can be more difficult on dosing because you still make some insulin for a while and that can be erratic. It's what we call the honeymoon phase.

But start carb counting asap if you're not already!!!!!