Change

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im posting alot lately as I really am frustrated. This morning at 6,30am my blood sugars were 3.4 so I took a gluco juice and a banana. When I got up to have my breakfast at 9 they were 11.0 then at lunch time they were 15.4 two hours later they were 6.3 and again two hours later 3.4. I'm in Novorapid 4u before each meal and I are Tresiba 30 in the morning but that now is being brought back to 28.
My diet has changed drastically since Christmas from a high sugar one to extremely low sugar.
I won't eat or drink anything with aspartame. So it's hard to find stuff.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds like you need to do a basal test as the severe swings could be connected to that. Also having fixed doses before meals rather than carb counting makes the whole management difficult. However, when you treated the 3.4 low I would say you over treated. I always start with two dextrose then check in 10 mins. I may then have another if it is still under 4. If not I have nothing else. However I can see this with directional arrows on a Libre. The banana is very high in sugars and I eat once in a blue moon and only if I am injecting.
I can understand how frustrated you must be. Time to have a talk with your hospital team.

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds like you need to do a basal test as the severe swings could be connected to that. Also having fixed doses before meals rather than carb counting makes the whole management difficult. However, when you treated the 3.4 low I would say you over treated. I always start with two dextrose then check in 10 mins. I may then have another if it is still under 4. If not I have nothing else. However I can see this with directional arrows on a Libre. The banana is very high in sugars and I eat once in a blue moon and only if I am injecting.
I can understand how frustrated you must be. Time to have a talk with your hospital team.
I did mention to them I want to carb count but it could be weeks before the dietitian sees me. The last low I had just the banana and not the juice. But that's 2 bananas today. I do like them though.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My diet has changed drastically since Christmas from a high sugar one to extremely low sugar.
I won't eat or drink anything with aspartame. So it's hard to find stuff.

I find that reducing my carbs reduces my basal needs as well as my bolus, but I am quite insulin resistant so need to go low carb to stave off my T2 tendencies....

If you like fizzy drinks you could try carbonated water, plain or with a slice of lemon?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
People always say that you need to adjust to diagnosis before being let loose on carb counting. I personally disagree I feel it Leads to the frustration you are experiencing now. I was in hospital Sunday and in clinic Monday morning for an hour. I left with 2 insulin pens and a booklet on carb counting. Had phone support from DN for the following fortnight. If we can be let lose with insulin and pens then we are capable of carb counting. You don’t need a dietician for that.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
You can eat what you want as long as you dose appropriately..........
I love and eat bananas to!

Start carb counting, count everything. It will open your eyes to the difference in carbs you eat at different times.
Banana 25 carbs, gluco juice 15 carbs equal 40 carbs That would have been way too much for me for a correction.

But example of meals
Banana 25 carbs, cup of oatmeal 24 carbs, 4 oz milk 6 carbs 55 carbs
Whole wheat sandwich bread with deli slices 20 carbs
Salad with mixed veggies 10 carbs

But you are taking the same dose per each meal.............and that is what the problem is
So start carb counting, maybe even writing down meals which will help them set you up with different dosing needed for different foods. It will really help you to get more of a concept what the different foods responses are.

Also like @becca59 said your basals are more likely too high and a basal test would be useful. Since you dropped sugar (carbs) in your diet, your insulin needs would also change. You are also probably in what we call the honeymoon period which means you are still making some insulin sometimes and it can be erratic so it is harder to dose on top of it.

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Start carb counting, count everything. It will open your eyes to the difference in carbs you eat at different times.
Banana 25 carbs, gluco juice 15 carbs equal 40 carbs That would have been way too much for me for a correction.

But example of meals

But you are taking the same dose per each meal.............and that is what the problem is
So start carb counting, maybe even writing down meals which will help them set you up with different dosing needed for different foods. It will really help you to get more of a concept what the different foods responses are.

Also like @becca59 said your basals are more likely too high and a basal test would be useful. Since you dropped sugar (carbs) in your diet, your insulin needs would also change. You are also probably in what we call the honeymoon period which means you are still making some insulin sometimes and it can be erratic so it is harder to dose on top of it.

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

But example of meals

Is it possible to be in honeymoon period after 18 years?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@diabetic12yrs Sorry, I misunderstood how long you have been a type 1 because you weren't carb counting yet??? So you are saying you have been a type 1 for 18 years?

Definitely start carb counting!!!!!

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@diabetic12yrs Sorry, I misunderstood how long you have been a type 1 because you weren't carb counting yet??? So you are saying you have been a type 1 for 18 years?

Definitely start carb counting!!!!!
Yeah I'm 18 years with it. And now I have retinopathy so I need to do anything I can to keep it in control

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The basic start point is to allow 1 unit inuslin for 10g carb then adjust from there.
Like you I got into the habit of dosing the same for each meal.
I have now gone low carb to help improve dosing errors and because low carb is healthier IMOI!
So if you eat roughly the same things consistently that really helps.
You may find that an under 10g snack needs no dose but a banana defintiely would.
I would start there but notice that some foods will need less insulin e.g. foods high in fat and carbs such as pizza need more whereas pure glucose (banana, slice of toast) need less...
I find it to be an art rather than a science as there are so many other variables than carbs in type 1 diabetes.