What is the best diet a diabetic should be on?

KayImWeird

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been trying to clean up my act and be a better diabetic starting with a diet! But I am unsure of what diet I should try out? Anyone know?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If Type1 you can pretty much eat anything you want as long as you know how much insulin to take for it.
Were you wanting to try a particular diet for a specific reason?

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
You can google Dr.Richard k, Bernstein, MD. He wrote a book called The Diabetes Solution. He is type 1, in his 80's, runs a successful clinic in New York, I think it is. Very healthy. He advocates a low carb diet. The book is great, I have it. Full of information and also covers diet of course. Which is a major part.

He does a lot of youtube stuff also.

Worth checking him out I think.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the best diet is one that you enjoy and can sustain. At the same time constant monitoring and recording should help you achieve that whilst you decide. For some an ultra low carb Bernstein diet works, for others like myself a moderate low carb (between 50 and 100) Others eat lots and manage it very well. Whatever you decide on it should have a good nutritional balance and in my opinion treats should be enjoyed but in moderation. We all need to switch off from this condition every so often.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Agree that eating what works for you is right. You say you want to clean up your act as a T1 - so dosing right, testing, testing, testing and learning about insulin response/ action will be a big part of food selection.

Reactions: Mad76

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just to echo others on this thread, the low carb way works well IMO because it minimises dosing errors because as you know there are so many variables going into your bolus dose that if you can take out a major one i.e. carbs, you are likely to run smoother.
My consultant also recently pointed out to me that type 1 likes consistency of eating, movement and sleep so if you are that type of person who likes a routine amount of carbs at roughly the same times each day that can also work well.
As for any other human a good diet needs healthy sources of fat and protein plus some above ground plant foods. it doesn't need to have starchy carbs in it but could do unless you are trying to lose body fat since insulin resistance is not likely to be a problem for you. What most camps agree on is cutting out processed sugars and starches! Which still leaves plenty of good stuff to enjoy.

Reactions: Peppergirl

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been trying to clean up my act and be a better diabetic starting with a diet! But I am unsure of what diet I should try out? Anyone know?

Hi @KayImWeird ,

Welcome to the forum..

I've seen a fair few "diabetic cook books" in my time.
Most of it seems to focus on some sort of "five a day," lean protein sources. & boiled or baked starches..
Sounds ideal? But no one size fits all...

Your focus looks like tweaking BG management. Good news, glad yer here!

Do you have any other (if any.) health goals beside?

Tell us a little more, are you pumping or injecting? What insulin/s are prescribed.

Any recommended diet won't do it alone.. Working out how that diet compliments your insulin regime is key.
(Or is it how the insulin harmonises with the menus.) :)

When did you last do a basal test.? From a builder's perspective. I'd check the foundations, before any structural overhaul.

tomrose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting topic. Totally depends on the person & what your priorities are.
Don’t they say the best diet is a balanced one in moderation??
I don’t follow that mantra as I’m veggie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Hi there.
One which suits the individual and their management of diabetes, I eat a varied 'diet' but I can't just eat anything, as my body/diabetes can go into a bit of a melt down.
Can you tell us a little more about 'cleaning up your act' :)

Ellenor2000

The one that's easiest to cover with the medication you're using (if you are a type 1 diabetic).

For type 2s it's the one that creates the least increase in glucose.

Usually, the two diets are pretty similar.

Could I interest you in an omelette?

Reactions: Robinredbreast
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
The one that's easiest to cover with the medication you're using (if you are a type 1 diabetic).

For type 2s it's the one that creates the least increase in glucose.

Usually, the two diets are pretty similar.

Could I interest you in an omelette?

I wouldn't say no to an omelette or a frittata :hungry:

Reactions: KK123

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm always a bit cautious when young female T1s talk about "diets", since young women and T1s are particularly prone to eating disorders and "going on a diet" can be a trigger for getting an eating disorder. And eating disorders can be a lot more dangerous than T1.....

Having said all that, matching your insulin to your food is a necessary part of T1 life, and some food choices are harder to match than others ….

Reactions: geekypants

Wayward Blood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kay, and welcome to the forum. I've been following a low carbohydrate diet since 2014, and it's made things so much better with my control. As mentioned above, Dr Richard Bernstein is the authority on this. He's a Type 1 diabetic who started eating a low carbohydrate diet in his 30s, and it saved his life. He's now in his 80s and still healthy! His book 'complete diabetes solution' is an extremely in-depth guide to managing blood sugars. However, it's *very* hardcore. Dr Bernstein was an engineer before he was a doctor, and he discusses things in a very practical, matter of fact way. He's also American so you'll need to convert the US blood sugar system to ours: mg/dl to mmol.

If you want a friendly plug for a low carbohydrate diet, I'd recommend checking out Dr Troy Stapleton. His video here is brilliant:

Whatever you choose, best of luck, and I hope you find a lot of success with managing your diabetes :).

M

Member496333

I believe the best diet for all humans is one that is the least insulinogenic and contains a good amount of essential nutrients. Both macro and micro.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
probably keto, low carb

Sorry, with access to insulin and good management I do not believe that is necessary for all type 1s. Some admittedly may feel more comfortable eating like this. But for many Type 1s there is actually a perfectly happy medium.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd say don't do anything drastic as you're going to have to live with this for a long while yet.
Type 1 is difficult diet wise. My consultant with whom I disagree, advocated high fibre, high carb, but did say something useful which was keep things regular and consistent with your meals so you can find the right dose to cover them.
That is easier said than done and I think it depends on your life right now e.g. do you eat similar things at similar times each day and exercise in the same way or are you keen to feel a bit freer?
If you tell us a bit more we can help!

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, with access to insulin and good management I do not believe that is necessary for all type 1s. Some admittedly may feel more comfortable eating like this. But for many Type 1s there is actually a perfectly happy medium.
Exactly , perfectly put

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Depends on factors such as taste, satiety, goals if any. In your shoes I would ensure I have all of the facts about food that are readily available. I think it is a shame to just eat.

E.g. do you mind processed foods, whole or a mixture. Similarly animal, plant or mixture. Does food quality matter.

My choices are based on what the food does to my organs, health, blood sugar and insulin requirments first and then taste second.