T1 & Norovirus

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Afternoon chaps. Looking distinctly as if I might have picked up a dose of Norovirus from a leaky patient on Wednesday night - the symptoms and timings match up. As on the grounds that "if you can smell it, you've inhaled it" usually hold true, and despite a thorough clean of the ambulance after we'd dropped him off I could still smell it...

Obviously I'm aware of the DAFNE sick day rules, but I've not been this ill since getting my pump. Loop is handling things well enough on the BG front, but I've not attempted food yet today - I managed an avocado yesterday but that's it. I'm keeping well hydrated, plenty of water with lemon juice and salt for electrolytes.

Any T1 tips?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Keep testing the ketones. Stay in bed so not expending any energy. Allow yourself to feel sorry for yourself. Drink lots, eat the occasional jelly baby/dextrose if needed. Keep injecting/pumping shed loads of insulin. Had it last year, worst thing ever and didn’t admit defeat and get help when I should have done. Got told off by medical staff 3 days later. Commiserations!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry to hear that @LooperCat sounds awful - hope it passes soon.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks guys. I'm on the sofa as our bathroom is downstairs, and feeling very sorry for myself.

Bloods running steady in the high 5s so all well there. Ketones at 0.9...

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks guys. I'm on the sofa as our bathroom is downstairs, and feeling very sorry for myself.

Bloods running steady in the high 5s so all well there. Ketones at 0.9...
That is perfect. High 5s to you. I keep a double bolus rate ready on my pump as in my experience my bgs can really spike high even if I am not eating or moving. Hope the NV passes soon for you.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That is perfect. High 5s to you. I keep a double bolus rate ready on my pump as in my experience my bgs can really spike high even if I am not eating or moving. Hope the NV passes soon for you.
BG 5.6; Ketones 1.6 (normal for me, because of my low carbing) - so all going ok so far. Loop keeping me steady.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
BG 5.6; Ketones 1.6 (normal for me, because of my low carbing) - so all going ok so far. Loop keeping me steady.
Didn't realise you were looping. Does that mean your cgm is talking to your pump and increasing doses by itself?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Didn't realise you were looping. Does that mean your cgm is talking to your pump and increasing doses by itself?
Yup! Its brilliant. Not quite as good as an actual pancreas, but the closest we have just now, I reckon. It's working hard today but doing incredibly well. The blue bit at the top of the graph is the basals.

upload_2020-3-7_18-25-7.png

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @LooperCat , hope you're starting to feel a bit better?
You are doing awesome with your readings!
I always found dioralyte, while it might be rank because of the salt, was really good at keeping me hydrated.
Hope you're doing better soon!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @LooperCat , hope you're starting to feel a bit better?
You are doing awesome with your readings!
I always found dioralyte, while it might be rank because of the salt, was really good at keeping me hydrated.
Hope you're doing better soon!
A little, thank you. Symptoms are easing but not gone, however. I‘ve been drinking pints of water with half a teaspoon of lo-salt and a good squirt of lemon juice to keep hydrated, I start the day with that anyway to wash my supplements down.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had norovirus a few years before my T1 and it was 3 days of absolute hell! I was actually advised not to force food down me and just sip water.

By day 3 I could take a few sips of lemonade without coming back up.

It's vile... I'm sending sympathetic vibes.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @LooperCat ,

Wishing you well with your recovery.

Sounds like you have all bases covered.

I feel your pain. My wife & I got caught out with something similar on our travels in India a number of years back.
I never felt so wasted..