Which is the better of the two evils?

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Sugar or Erythritol (with Stevia) (Natvia)?

I know, I know, why don't I just get over my sweet tooth and hurry up about it? I want to, but at the same time, I obviously don't want to badly enough yet (or I'm not sick enough yet)...

But I am trying also to wean my kids off the higher carb foods we were eating (instead of pancakes made with flour and sugar, I use nut flours (almond meal) and desiccated coconut, and try to sweeten it with pumpkin (or sweet potato or banana), although from what I'm hearing, fructose isn't much better for us... Sometimes I still use a small amount of actual sugar when I make them a treat, but usually not enough and they all complain that it's not sweet enough (but eat it anyway :) ).

I'm dabbling with erythtritol but have noticed that it doesn't sit well in my stomach or bowels - bloating and nausea - which I like in a way because it might actually turn me off the sweet things if I feel sick every time I eat them. But how safe is erythritol long term if it upsets your digestive system? And if I am trying to use something to slightly sweeten something that I make for the kids (they love sweet too already unfortunately), which is the better of the two evils?

I know neither is preferable but this is a process so I need a crutch a while longer. Cold turkey ain't gonna work here.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Sugar will keep that insulin pumping out.... often leads to weight gain and various other issues from tooth decay to insulin resistance.

Erythritol doesn't. If it upsets your digestive track then it could be the erythritol or maybe just too much of it. Which can be a bit like a laxative. Personally, I just cannot digest coconut, but I'm fine with erythritol.

Reactions: HSSS

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sugar or Erythritol (with Stevia) (Natvia)?

I know, I know, why don't I just get over my sweet tooth and hurry up about it? I want to, but at the same time, I obviously don't want to badly enough yet (or I'm not sick enough yet)...

But I am trying also to wean my kids off the higher carb foods we were eating (instead of pancakes made with flour and sugar, I use nut flours (almond meal) and desiccated coconut, and try to sweeten it with pumpkin (or sweet potato or banana), although from what I'm hearing, fructose isn't much better for us... Sometimes I still use a small amount of actual sugar when I make them a treat, but usually not enough and they all complain that it's not sweet enough (but eat it anyway :) ).

I'm dabbling with erythtritol but have noticed that it doesn't sit well in my stomach or bowels - bloating and nausea - which I like in a way because it might actually turn me off the sweet things if I feel sick every time I eat them. But how safe is erythritol long term if it upsets your digestive system? And if I am trying to use something to slightly sweeten something that I make for the kids (they love sweet too already unfortunately), which is the better of the two evils?

I know neither is preferable but this is a process so I need a crutch a while longer. Cold turkey ain't gonna work here.
I'd go for Erythritol with Stevia (either one straight is disgusting, but mixed I like 'em perfectly fine), but in tiny little amounts... See whether it's something your insides get used to, and whether it was just a matter of over-consumption. (I know what happens to me when I have too much maltitol or sorbitol for instance... The -tol's can wreak havoc.). I never made those elaborate online recipes that call for a half a cup or more of the stuff, just added a spoon or so in my cinnamon omelette or in my chocolate or cinnamon mug bread. Take it slow, see what that gets you maybe? I ended up using almost no sweeteners at all, save for the above mentioned occasional uses, so after a while that sweet tooth does go... Just give yourself some time. And keep an eye on the kids, you don't know how their guts respond. And far as pancakes go... Maybe this is an option: https://www.grapetree.co.uk/good-good-sugar-free-maple-syrup-250g

Good luck!
Jo

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure I'd want to get my kids used to it....

Just gradually decrease the amount of sugar?
This is one of the instances I'm glad I don't have children. It's hard enough telling the cats they can't have sausage! (They always win). :p

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Sugar will keep that insulin pumping out.... often leads to weight gain and various other issues from tooth decay to insulin resistance.

Erythritol doesn't. If it upsets your digestive track then it could be the erythritol or maybe just too much of it. Which can be a bit like a laxative. Personally, I just cannot digest coconut, but I'm fine with erythritol.

You're for sure right about sugar and tooth issues. I've had plenty of tooth issues over the years and have a small hole in one of my molars at the moment which plays up with I have anything with sugar or fructose in it. Need to keep away from sugars or I'll be heading off for another filling :p

Reactions: Tophat1900

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd like to hear about these? :D
Omelette: eggs, cinnamon powder, cream, erythritol/stevia. Once done I might add some extra cream and blueberries on top.

For the mug cakes just the usual stuff, (15 g of melted butter, 22 g of almond flour and ½ a teaspoonful of baking powder. Mix. Then add an egg and mix. Microwave at highest W for 90 seconds.), with added either cinnamon and erythritol/stevia, or extra dark chocolate drops, cacao powder and E/S. Just to taste, no specifics as I tend to wing it. Sorry. Sometimes I toss in a little goat's cheese, Italian herbs/oregano and garlic powder, but that's not a sweet one. ;)

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Omelette: eggs, cinnamon powder, cream, erythritol/stevia. Once done I might add some extra cream and blueberries on top.

For the mug cakes just the usual stuff, (15 g of melted butter, 22 g of almond flour and ½ a teaspoonful of baking powder. Mix. Then add an egg and mix. Microwave at highest W for 90 seconds.), with added either cinnamon and erythritol/stevia, or extra dark chocolate drops, cacao powder and E/S. Just to taste, no specifics as I tend to wing it. Sorry. Sometimes I toss in a little goat's cheese, Italian herbs/oregano and garlic powder, but that's not a sweet one. ;)

I'm going to throw some cinnamon in my omelette tomorrow and a bit of cream. Berries on top for fun.

I like the cinnamon, chocolate mud cakes... those sound good. Not sure about the herbs, spices version that indicates to me you are dabbling in some sort of weird witch craft. :D

Thanks for the info!

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin

I just had to google "mug" cake because it was written that way so often that it couldn't be a typo confused with "mud" cake. I didn't know mug cakes were a thing! I'm in trouble now:hilarious:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to throw some cinnamon in my omelette tomorrow and a bit of cream. Berries on top for fun.

I like the cinnamon, chocolate mud cakes... those sound good. Not sure about the herbs, spices version that indicates to me you are dabbling in some sort of weird witch craft. :D

Thanks for the info!
If you have time separate your eggs and whip up the whites then gently fold in the beaten yolks, makes a really nice fluffy omelette:)

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have time separate your eggs and whip up the whites then gently fold in the beaten yolks, makes a really nice fluffy omelette:)

Add some hazelnut meal, cocoa and sweetner of your choice to that whipped up egg and you'll get an amazing cake.
I should probably change the subject about now... o_O sorry