Can you help with a couple of corona virus questions

madfish69

Hi,

I wondered what others advice is on these:

1. As a type 2 for over 10 years and living alone what food items should I stock up on?

If I didn't have to avoid carbs I'd do what all non diabetics are doing/will do....stock up on carbs pasta rice bread etc. We can't do that...I don't have a big freezer so can't buy much protein or frozen veg etc. What would you buy a little supply of as this is going to "spread in a significant way" as it's just been announced :(

2. I've also heard from several sources that having more vitamin D can aid in the fight should one get the virus. But is it safe, ok or advisable to take Vitamin D supplements over the counter?

Thank you.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Toilet roll.
You don't want to be wiping your bum on a flannel all the time if everything shuts down.
Tinned fish cheap cheerful and very healthy.
Pasta .... I cook it and cool it turning it into a resistant starch.
Lots you can do with it.
Spuds .... I know I know but cook them cool them .... they become resistant starch .... I thrn fry them.
Tinned soups packet soups cuppa soups.
Fresh veg .... make a soup stew keeps for days plus you can freeze a few pots in yoghurt pots or even cups with cling f
ilm tops.
Pasta might be hard to get hold of thinking about it as 80% of UK pasta comes from Italy at the rate of three hundred thousand tons a year!
Tea coffee uht milk if you use milk.
For me porridge but not tolerated well by many.
Butter.
Nuts.

Reactions: madfish69

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I wondered what others advice is on these:

1. As a type 2 for over 10 years and living alone what food items should I stock up on?

If I didn't have to avoid carbs I'd do what all non diabetics are doing/will do....stock up on carbs pasta rice bread etc. We can't do that...I don't have a big freezer so can't buy much protein or frozen veg etc. What would you buy a little supply of as this is going to "spread in a significant way" as it's just been announced :(

We have had a discussion about this in my house and amongst the extended family, who are of mixed ages, and different health conditions, with different risk factors and requirements. The general consensus seems to be that there are 2 likely circumstances. The first is that you are self isolating, either to see if symptoms start, or to avoid catching the virus and so that you don't spread it. In this case your appetite will be normal, and you can eat anything that you normally would.

The second instance is that you already have the virus symptoms (or flu, or a common cold, or the norovirus) in which case your appetite has probably disappeared and you just need to get fluids down, any medication, and rest.

So, as a low carbing household, we have discussed tinned soup. tinned meats and veg for when we have an appetite. long life milk, etc.

And for if we are ill, the usual Cold Season home stocks of vit C, zinc, etc.

2. I've also heard from several sources that having more vitamin D can aid in the fight should one get the virus. But is it safe, ok or advisable to take Vitamin D supplements over the counter?

Thank you.

I have been taking Vit D supplements for years now. They sorted out a Vit D deficiency for me, and help prevent it coming back. Definitely a pro in my life, not a con.

I choose to buy Vit D3, since it is more beneficial than Vit D2, and I get one with added Vit K2, since this helps the body make the best, most appropriate use of Vit D. I get mine from Amazon, rather than from a shop, since I get a better range of brands, can choose the price range and quality that I prefer, and then it gets delivered to my door.

Hope that helps.

madfish69

Toilet roll.
You don't want to be wiping your bum on a flannel all the time if everything shuts down.
Tinned fish cheap cheerful and very healthy.
Pasta .... I cook it and cool it turning it into a resistant starch.
Lots you can do with it.
Spuds .... I know I know but cook them cool them .... they become resistant starch .... I thrn fry them.
Tinned soups packet soups cuppa soups.
Fresh veg .... make a soup stew keeps for days plus you can freeze a few pots in yoghurt pots or even cups with cling f
ilm tops.
Pasta might be hard to get hold of thinking about it as 80% of UK pasta comes from Italy at the rate of three hundred thousand tons a year!
Tea coffee uht milk if you use milk.
For me porridge but not tolerated well by many.
Butter.
Nuts.

Thanks very much for that list! Oh and yes I forgot about the pasta "trick" of putting it in the fridge and eating the next day....doesn't spike your sugar much. Thanks for the tips!

madfish69

We have had a discussion about this in my house and amongst the extended family, who are of mixed ages, and different health conditions, with different risk factors and requirements. The general consensus seems to be that there are 2 likely circumstances. The first is that you are self isolating, either to see if symptoms start, or to avoid catching the virus and so that you don't spread it. In this case your appetite will be normal, and you can eat anything that you normally would.

The second instance is that you already have the virus symptoms (or flu, or a common cold, or the norovirus) in which case your appetite has probably disappeared and you just need to get fluids down, any medication, and rest.

So, as a low carbing household, we have discussed tinned soup. tinned meats and veg for when we have an appetite. long life milk, etc.

And for if we are ill, the usual Cold Season home stocks of vit C, zinc, etc.

I have been taking Vit D supplements for years now. They sorted out a Vit D deficiency for me, and help prevent it coming back. Definitely a pro in my life, not a con.

I choose to buy Vit D3, since it is more beneficial than Vit D2, and I get one with added Vit K2, since this helps the body make the best, most appropriate use of Vit D. I get mine from Amazon, rather than from a shop, since I get a better range of brands, can choose the price range and quality that I prefer, and then it gets delivered to my door.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

thanks for your response :) The Amazon one...is this a good one > https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vitamin-40...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Also I just wanted to confirm that for someone who never takes any supplements...I hope it won't create any unwanted side effects in terms of my diabetic meds ( Metformin 2000my daily) and Perindropril 2mg?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Whisky .... don't forget the whisky .... purely for medical reasons you understand.
Some good books you could be isolated for some time.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I would be happy taking that dose of D3, but I would be looking for one that had K2 in it too.
HOWEVER, you need to do your own research on whether you feel K2 is necessary, and if so, at what dose.
It is the kind of thing I wouldn't want to advise anyone else about (brand and dose, etc), because I just don't know their budget, health circs, and priorities.

If you want to check for any interactions between medications, vitamins, herbs and foods, then you can enter the details into one of the contraindication checkers online. Here is a link to one, but there are several out there, if you want to check in different places:
https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html