What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Just a quick post - as usual I have been really enjoying reading all your posts but I can't do much typing or using my kindle to post because it really hurts the joints in my hands and then they go buzzy (like electric shocks) and painful. I had the x-rays and blood tests - now just waiting for the results - should be next week if I can get in to see a doctor. I tried to make an appointment with my GP only to be told that they have changed the system back to the previous 'on the day' appointment system (which failed miserably) so I phoned this morning at 8am and it took until 8.40 before I managed to get through only to find that all the appointments had been allocated. Rumour has it that they will be moving to phone consultations for the duration of the Covid 19 virus very soon.

I also found out that the long awaited new GP surgery in this village (there had been LOTS of excitement about this new surgery) and another established surgery in a village a few miles away are going to be run by my existing GP practice (which are based in a village in between). So, basically, they'll corner the market in rubbish standard of care for miles around. My GP's surgery is one of those that received such a bad CQC assessment a couple of years ago that it nearly got closed down or taken over to be administered by the government. It doesn't inspire confidence.

We have got some Corona virus panic buying madness going on in this area. On Saturday we drove past our local (fairly small) Sainsbury about an hour before the store opens only to see a queue of people waiting outside. That afternoon I mentioned it to a neighbour who said there had been a rumour on Facebook that there would be a hand gel, paracetamol and toilet roll delivery to the store so several people had said they would turn up early to be sure to get some. Luckily I stock up with most things we use a lot of when they are on special offer so we would be fine (but bored) for a month without needing to buy anything if a supply chain problem does develop.

ANYWAY.... back on topic.... my food and BGs are going well. I've been having a quick and very yummy breakfast, a sweet omelette made with eggs and double cream and cooked in butter then drizzled with free syrup (carb free syrups from TK Maxx) - cooked until almost but not quite set. This is SPECTACULARLY nice when made with vanilla and cinnamon - much like the filling of a custard tart.

Lunches are generally just about 40-50g of zero carb cheese or green gloup (although I'm rapidly going off of the green gloup - there's just so much raw kale a girl's digestion can cope with!)

Dinners have been veggie curries with paneer or lentils and Bombay celeriac, veggie spag bol with that black bean spag from Aldi, cannellini beans with pesto, garlic and spinach (yum), Jamie Oliver's lentil tabbouleh, veggie chill and an occasional quorn roast dinner. I'm trying to keep as low carb as possible as I find my morning FBG increases if I eat even slightly too many carbs at the previous dinner time - so I aim for no more than 10-15 (mainly as veg).

Bye for now :)

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Lucylemonpip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today’s lunch was 2 x eggs scrambled in butter, along with some bacon and a little bit of brown sauce. Nice.
Main meal will be salmon fillets, feta cheese and salad, followed by double cream and sugar free jelly. Yummy.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just the 24 loo rolls from Newmarket today - I towered above all the stable lads and ladettes but looked remarkably plump in comparison. Godolphin stables seemed to be on a mission to drink all the available wine - no food needed. Sheikh Maktoum may not approve. Solid food eaten in >4 hours due to roaming about sorting flooring, skirting and paint for garage conversion completion and Beavers special trip to their US counterparts. School pickup parking is a free for all with no observance of highway code or any kind of safety hereabouts. Breakfast/brunch: 2 x 700 mls AM Tea - sweetener; CWC + SF caramel syrup; L : 140 gms fresh tuna flash fried in butter, small green salad, chia and flaxseeds, avocado, cheeses, Tea ; Eve: Mushroom and Suffolk salami omelette (Suffolk eggs) with baby spinach, water

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
2 eggs fried this morning - late because I overslept. FBG 4.2. Tea.
About 9.30 - BG 9.9. Another cup of tea and then went to town - Neil had decided that he needed to go in, so I went today instead of tomorrow. Most of the stuff I wanted in stock, apart from Ecover dishwasher tablets - suspect there's been no rush on them so far. Stocked up on veggies and some fish, but forgot to get another cauliflower. Was going to use the fish for fish pie with cauliflower rice on top but I have got some celeriac and some squash, so those will do the job (tomorrow).
Tea x 2 when I got back. And then another cup about 4.30. Didn't really want it but have to keep the fluids up.
Just about to start preparing something like a mushroom risotto but with cauli rice - I toasted some the other day and still have some left to use up. I will put some parmesan with it as well and some onions.
Only 5 cups of tea so far today - need to have another 3 at least. Might just make them cocoa (made with water) instead. Better than tea anyway.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs never knew Newmarket would be famous for loo rolls, made me laugh, thanks. I guess the youngsters from Godolphin werent stockpiling it was the usual. Yeah the school drop off/pick up is not for the faint hearted. I really like the sound of your omelette. You sound busy busy but I think quite enjoying it all.

Reactions: DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Chook

Definitely not a good idea to eat kale every day.
Thought you might be interested in this link, and the following discussion, from an old thread on green smoothies.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/in-praise-of-green-smoothies.70800/page-2#post-742854

I knew kale was suspect! Never liked it but I did go and buy some today to add to my green soup. It does appear, though, that spinach, Brussels sprouts and watercress, along with broccolli and cauliflower, are just as bad. Can't win.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Managed long walk today into the forest although very muddy and drizzled most of the time - annoying as we set off in sun shine! Still blew away the cobwebs!
During day flask of coffee with lactofree whole milk and a couple of squares of 95% chocolate
Preparing dinner lc seed crackers and walnuts nibbled. Frittata with a couple of home made salads one coleslaw ( with a kick from horseradish) and one avocado, celery and walnuts. Pudding lc jelly and double cream.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Black coffee this morning then a muddy dog walk - well timed as it rained heavily again later.
Lunch was deli roast beef ( 2 slices) 1 h/b egg 2 cherry toms lettuce and h/m mayo then a DGF brownie and cream.
Dinner after collecting girls from school ( agree @ianpspurs it’s an absolute nightmare, would hate to live near the school gates, such inconsiderate parking) they helped make https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-chicken-club-casserole for everybody, which means they also ate it all ( they always eat meals if they’ve helped make them)
@Brunneria thanks for the kale link I didn’t know about it.
@Chook sorry your hands are still bad I hope the test results give a clue as to the problem. Shame about the new GP surgery too. Thanks for the tip off re TKMaxx sugar free syrups - your omelette sounds delicious.
@SlimLizzy good to see you again, I feel the same about posting here - keeps me on track, it’s so easy to slip otherwise.

Ginders

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had light breakfast in the morning(I tend to eat very little in the first half of the day) and made my favorite coffee from freshly ground beans( I love the smell :)). Then, after all the daily work I made a traditional Japanese omelette called Tamagoyaki, it turned out pretty delicious and fluffy actually.
It has a sweet version too, something like a desert, but I will avoid it for now, though I would really like to try it.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

B: bone broth and bovril
L: smoked mackerel with a dash of peri peri
D: goatsmilk yog with cocoa powder and erythritol and cream :wacky:

nice weather for a mutt walk today, and Nos 1 & 2 managed to make the whole trip without mucking up their current ‘Dos’.
(They spent the morning at the spa for a bath, shampoo, blow dry and cut. No 1 looks dashing. No 2 looks svelt and statuesque. No 3 stayed home with me, missed them terribly, and nearly knocked the house down with her wagging when they both came home)

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
09-03-2020
Breakfast nut granola and two fried eggs. CWC x2
Lunch avocado, tomato and sheep's cheese salad. Coleslaw and lettuce. Followed by an indulgence. 2slices of fruited brioche slathered with butter. Used to buy this at one particular small supermarket, which I rarely visit nowadays. So when it appeared in a different store struggled and failed to resist. Did calculate the carbs and decided with a no/negligible carb meal, would just about do. Sadly( or maybe fortunately) its not the same, seemed a little stale. When i checked use by date was another ten days to go. The one I bought previously was noticeably past it's best on the second day. But so good fresh.
Dinner chilli con carne. With added mince cauli rice for me, real rice for MrSlim, brocolli and carrots for both. Except i ate mine raw. Glass of wine and a second as well. Whipped up some Crême Entier for the first time. Takes a long time, but pleased that it doesn't revert to liquid. Served with a few strawberries. Probably Elsanta. The type that go crunch rather than giving that wonderful burst of flavoursome juice.

@Chook sorry your hands are still painful.
love the sound of that omelette.
@DJC3 Thank you for the welcome back.
@shelley262 weather can't decide what to do. Do you have a recipe for the LC seed crackers?

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Chook -- so sorry about the painful joints in your hands -- keeping my fingers crossed they'll figure out soon how to help you.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Two small slices of homemade low-carb Sacher torte.

Dinner: Skirt steak. Cauli mash with onion, garlic, tahini. Sauerkraut with cream and caraway seeds. One more small slice of Sacher torte. Two glasses of dry red wine.

Edited to add late night snack: Half a DD keto roll with butter and smoked salmon.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had light breakfast in the morning(I tend to eat very little in the first half of the day) and made my favorite coffee from freshly ground beans( I love the smell :)). Then, after all the daily work I made a traditional Japanese omelette called Tamagoyaki, it turned out pretty delicious and fluffy actually.
It has a sweet version too, something like a desert, but I will avoid it for now, though I would really like to try it.

Did you make your tamagoyaki in the traditional square pan? I remember @dunelm posting a video link to making these, it looked very skilful.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal and @ianpspurs Mr C went to Asda today so I asked him to look for Schneider brot for me. He came back with this which is 34g carbs - can’t be the one you both have?
IMG_2054.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal and @ianpspurs Mr C went to Asda today so I asked him to look for Schneider brot for me. He came back with this which is 34g carbs - can’t be the one you both have? View attachment 39268

No, it’s the protein bread, which looks like it may have been discontinued. That’s 7.9g carb per 100g.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/..._0T6A8JodKWurrVosWcaAmRmEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Looked on the ASDA website today and it’s not available at my local store - I did take the last 2 packs on the shelf last week. There is something which I’d wager is the same recipe on Amazon, but far more expensive than the £1.56 I paid in Asda: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mestemacher-Protein-Bread-250-g/dp/B00LUIN7II

@ziggy_w your export business might be called upon!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, it’s the protein bread, which looks like it may have been discontinued. That’s 7.9g carb per 100g.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/..._0T6A8JodKWurrVosWcaAmRmEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Looked on the ASDA website today and it’s not available at my local store - I did take the last 2 packs on the shelf last week. There is something which I’d wager is the same recipe on Amazon, but far more expensive than the £1.56 I paid in Asda: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mestemacher-Protein-Bread-250-g/dp/B00LUIN7II

@ziggy_w your export business might be called upon!

Ah! thanks, I’ll have to sneak this pack into the food bank then without Mr C noticing!

Reactions: Goonergal

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just about evening so evening all. @Goonergal hope you are recovering or fully restored. @Chook hope you are reading but not in too much pain. Breakfast/brunch: 2 x 700 mls AM Tea - 1 with sweetener; L: CWC in a supermarket : Afternoon: AM 2 small for me Teas - unsweetened ; Eve: Will be a very big avocado and mackerel (tinned in OO) salad liberally sprinkled with chia and flaxseeds maybe Choclogic Belgian chocolate and/watching football. Garage conversion done except for painting when plaster dries enough -Thursday?. Kitchen next maybe started by Friday. 2 big grandchildren days next:):)

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Don’t think I posted yesterday and don’t remember exactly what I ate - some combination of protein bread, cheese, cream and leftover lamb breast.

Trying to get back to proper meals, but still under the weather so not altogether succeeding.

Had one slice of Schneider Brot with a thick slice of butter this morning, followed up by some Parma ham and salami. Dinner was an air fried Barnsley chop with bacon wrapped Halloumi fries and 20g 90% Lindt mixed with cream.

@Chook lovely to see your post but hugs for the continued pain. Hope you’re able to get an appointment.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

B: bone broth and bovril, small lc hc
L: prawns with Lidl protein noodles (just like Oomi noodles). Lush
D: will be cheesy mnce

Mutt 3 had ‘final checkup’ at vets after her spay. Except it isn’t. Wound not fully healed, still seeping. So this time we have antibiotics.
Not happy.
Still supposed to keep her quiet. :(

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3