Type 1 Caronavirus

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

I'm Type 1, and due to go skiing tomorrow to Austria near the Italian border. Although there are only 3 case identified in the general Tyrol area - do you think i am taking unnecessary risks by going ? Obviously i do not want to get virus, but we all have to be sensible and live our lives as well - anyone got any views -

Thanks Guys

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Topher, well I can only speak for myself of course but I would go like a shot. I don't know if you're in the UK but we also have cases here so when you are out and about the 'risk' is likely the same. As a person with diabetes you are probably concerned because they keep on saying 'those with impaired immune systems like diabetes' are at as much risk as a 90 year old catching it with a similar prognosis, of course we must all be old and frail and likely to collapse if we leave our doorsteps !. We all have to decide for ourselves but the way I see it, I am fit and healthy, my diabetes is managed well, I exercise a lot, I don't smoke or drink so personally I would be out there on my skis (albeit I've never ski'd before :)). x

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi All,

I'm Type 1, and due to go skiing tomorrow to Austria near the Italian border. Although there are only 3 case identified in the general Tyrol area - do you think i am taking unnecessary risks by going ? Obviously i do not want to get virus, but we all have to be sensible and live our lives as well - anyone got any views -

Thanks Guys

Yes I would definitely go, but make sure your insurance is good or you have a plan if you do catch it. That said, if you're only going for a week or two you may not show any symptoms until you get back

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just make sure that you, and anyone with you is doing the full handwashing routine - for a minimum of 20 seconds (lots of suggestions for choruses of songs to sing for timing). If you are using hand sanitiser when out, then it needs to be a minimum of 60% alcohol and don't just use a tiny blob.

When I am at the hospital I use the gel on the handle and strap of my walking stick and on the tiller bars of my mobility scooter - otherwise it is a waste of time washing my hands! You should make sure the handles of the skis are washed every time you clean your hands. Think about anything you touch - a handbag, a phone, etc and make sure you don't touch them with hands that have been anywhere dodgy unless you are cleaning them too.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
And of course there are alcohol hand or face wipes don't forget the alcohol works by breaking down the virus's membrane which fortunately Caronavirus has not all do, but by the same token over use it on your hands and it will adversely effect the skin on your hands.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hope you have a great break. I hear that there are many bargain ski holidays around because of all this virus and since there will be no more toilet roll in the UK soon perhaps it will be good to leave the country...Take some great quality hand cream too which you will need once your hands crack due to all the washing!
I am type 1 and since I try to keep my sugars down and keep fit, I do not feel especially vulnerable to this and am more worried that we will panic ourselves into a recession (hand gel manufacturers aside).

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Go for it! Keep washing your hands and try not to touch your face. Have a fab time.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Being out on the slopes should be good clean air, so that's good, and it's probably a fairly fit, youngish crowd there, so that may also help. Take care in the chalets or hotels though- if it's warm and stuffy then that might be a worse sort of environment. Still, it's Austria not actually Italy, and I think it should be fine. Just take sensible care of yourself.

I booked a trip that went through Taiwan, Japan and Hong Kong during the Chinese New Year, and although I knew I'd have to be very careful, I went and had a good time- didn't get sick either.
Do have plans ready though- outside of health issues, there may be logistical concerns that arise: the week after I got back from my holiday, they started suspending flights etc, and I would have been stuck. That seems less likely with Austria, but just have some options in mind- travel options, enough insulin in case you're there longer than you intended or whatnot. You very probably won't need it, but no harm to have some ideas in mind.
Hope everything goes great for you!

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Prefect guys, thanks for the positive response