Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Thank you for going into this!
I've recently come out of several years of what you call "bad control and denial", and i'm glad to see the other side! I knew and told people i was diabetic but i just didn't care. Now i'm finally I'm starting to lose weight and i feel like i have more energy, me and my partner are hoping for our first child around 2022 so he's helping me work steadily towards that.
I'm definitely not the worst case out there, certainly not the best. No way would i be eligible, as it isn't affecting my life negatively apart from being a pincushion.
Interesting that you are also a pianist and struggle with motor control, for different reasons probably as i'm not on any other medication. When i play i sometimes get spasms in my arms, which causes my hand and fingers to seize up. It's the same at work when i use a mouse or type, although it's not constant. Just a violent twitch, sometimes 2 or 3 together. It's really affected my confidence with playing and i don't practice much any more because of it. I'm actually waiting for an appointment with a neurologist so they can maybe put a name to it and potentially treat it. I suspect dystonia, in part because the triggers i've found online are weirdly similar to what triggers it for me.
But i hope you keep on playing :)
As I was at work this morning, I didn't include one detail about being dextrously challenged. Weirdly my left hand is infinitely weaker than it was and I have abandoned the idea of performing a piece called Les Cloches de Hinckley, which has rapid E major scales in hands and feet simultaneously. At first I had the grim thought that I might never be able to play exciting organ music ever again. I have adjusted my thinking more towards "Shelve it; try and build up gradually over maybe years and perfect the pieces that you can play. Consequently I have been playing better and my confidence has definitely improved. Whenever I get a chance, even while teaching at school, I try to exercise my left hand on a surface by playing "silent scales". I hope you regain some confidence with playing since I can't number how many people who tell me "I wish I hadn't stopped" and I also found that in the more gloomy moments in my life, playing either the piano or the organ has been a real comfort.

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As I was at work this morning, I didn't include one detail about being dextrously challenged. Weirdly my left hand is infinitely weaker than it was and I have abandoned the idea of performing a piece called Les Cloches de Hinckley, which has rapid E major scales in hands and feet simultaneously. At first I had the grim thought that I might never be able to play exciting organ music ever again. I have adjusted my thinking more towards "Shelve it; try and build up gradually over maybe years and perfect the pieces that you can play. Consequently I have been playing better and my confidence has definitely improved. Whenever I get a chance, even while teaching at school, I try to exercise my left hand on a surface by playing "silent scales". I hope you regain some confidence with playing since I can't number how many people who tell me "I wish I hadn't stopped" and I also found that in the more gloomy moments in my life, playing either the piano or the organ has been a real comfort.
I admire anyone who can play music with hands and feet at the same time! I certainly can't! I'll stick with my Beethoven and if i want a challenge, try Einaudi's Nuvole Bianche. Which i can proudly play half a page of.
Keep on battling through all them Emajor sharps :singing:

Reactions: Grant_Vicat