Do you use steel canulas?

Nomi

Hi all,

just after a bit of advice :)

i have the insight pump and have been offered the steel canulas. I was given two to trial and I quite liked them, they’re easy to insert, I don’t feel them and they’re quite discreet too.

but, I noticed that my levels where running a little high towards the end of the second day both times and after both test runs, when I removed the canula the site bled quite a lot. I usually run high if it’s a bleeder. I also ended up with a huge lumpy bruise on my arm when I used it there.

Before i decide whether to continue with them, Can anyone tell me if the bleeding sites are normal when using steel canulas? Or did I just get two dodgy ones by coincidence!

is there a particular technique to avoid badly bruising?

thanks everyone

Naomi

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi there - I use steel cannulas and yes I can get sore sites but find that just the luck of the site, some are ok and some need changing within a day, I just replace if sore tho as that’s a sign something isn’t quite right, wouldn’t use any other sets now though as these are straight forward and have very few issues.

Nomi

Hi there - I use steel cannulas and yes I can get sore sites but find that just the luck of the site, some are ok and some need changing within a day, I just replace if sore tho as that’s a sign something isn’t quite right, wouldn’t use any other sets now though as these are straight forward and have very few issues.
Thanks for the quick response! I have the angled ones at the minute and find them quite difficult to insert (my skin seems to bend rather than let the needle through) so I found these much better.
I didn’t notice any issues (other than stubborn bg) until I removed the one from my arm to reveal a huge bruise. It might just be a case of getting used to them, learning to spot the signs.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
I use flexible cannulas. My sites sometimes bruise and bleed too. So I can’t say that those 2 issues are only exclusive to stainless steel cannulas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomi

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
I’m on the flexible 8mm cannulas, straight. I have to change every other day sometimes everyday and often get quite a lump at site, I assume insulin. I’ve been offered to try the metal ones or angled but perhaps not just yet whilst covid is affecting supplies I’ve been told. Not sure if cannula change would really make any difference.
Used to be on the 10 MM.
I’m large. I can only use below the waste line on my tummy as above gets very sore quickly and not much good. Tried it in my hip but I pulled it out with pulling up my trousers so no good. Would appreciate any thoughts too