Type 1 Retinopathy eye screening & coronavirus

Broomthebeast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!
I am Type 1, fairly well managed. I live in Edinburgh.
I am trying not to get scared about all the coronavirus updates, taking precautions etc but I need some advice.
I have my annual retinopathy eye exam on Thursday and as you know it involves placing your forehead and chin against a sort of frame for the test.
I *vaguely* remember staff quickly cleaning these areas before the test.
I don't want to be paranoid (!) but I feel a bit queasy about it, especially with the advice of not touching your face etc
My dad advised me to bring my own antibacterial solution and cleaning it myself but it's out of stock everywhere I looked.
Would you go?

Thank you!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes go, you need the eye test and if you cancel it it'll probably be months before you get another one.
Also I suspect they're being extra vigilant about making sure its all properly cleaned at the moment.

Broomthebeast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes go, you need the eye test and if you cancel it it'll probably be months before you get another one.
Also I suspect they're being extra vigilant about making sure its all properly cleaned at the moment.

Thank you for responding!
(actually here in Edinburgh you get appointments very quickly, like 2 weeks later)

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for responding!
(actually here in Edinburgh you get appointments very quickly, like 2 weeks later)
That's a lot quicker than here, I had one cancelled on me in December and didn't get another one til the end of Feb.
But anyways, Covid-19 is likely to get more widespread so I'd def sooner rather than later, otherwise you really may be waiting for months just due to it.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Absolutely no question. Get it done

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd go, you could ask them to give it an extra wipe down if it's going to make the difference between going or having to cancel, I'm sure they would give it a good clean if you mention you are worried :)

Reactions: Broomthebeast

caius2x8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!
I am Type 1, fairly well managed. I live in Edinburgh.
I am trying not to get scared about all the coronavirus updates, taking precautions etc but I need some advice.
I have my annual retinopathy eye exam on Thursday and as you know it involves placing your forehead and chin against a sort of frame for the test.
I *vaguely* remember staff quickly cleaning these areas before the test.
I don't want to be paranoid (!) but I feel a bit queasy about it, especially with the advice of not touching your face etc
My dad advised me to bring my own antibacterial solution and cleaning it myself but it's out of stock everywhere I looked.
Would you go?

Thank you!

It 'll be ok if you ask them.to clean it extra goody. If <60 yrs old, you probably would suffer too much anyhoo. Good luck :) And to Broom the Beast. He's most handsome. Meiou meiou meiou meiou, err or something like that, ahem...

Reactions: Broomthebeast

Broomthebeast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It 'll be ok if you ask them.to clean it extra goody. If <60 yrs old, you probably would suffer too much anyhoo. Good luck :) And to Broom the Beast. He's most handsome. Meiou meiou meiou meiou, err or something like that, ahem...
Hehe Yes he's a handsome fluff :)

Reactions: caius2x8

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
From experience at my own eye clinic, they give it a very thorough wipe with Clinell wipes (bright green pack, you spot them all over hospitals and healthcare facilities) - they kill 99.999% of everything, pretty much, according to the packet. of course it's the 0.0001% that will get you but they're very good. we use them to scrub down the ambulance and kit in-between patients. they're also good for cleaning bathrooms and cookers ;)

Also, antibacterial solution won't work on this, as it's a virus. Alcohol gel needs to be stronger than 60% and as this particular virus has a lipid coat, soap and water is still the best weapon against it.

caius2x8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Heap helpful.
Many mice to you LooperCat :)

From experience at my own eye clinic, they give it a very thorough wipe with Clinell wipes (bright green pack, you spot them all over hospitals and healthcare facilities) - they kill 99.999% of everything, pretty much, according to the packet. of course it's the 0.0001% that will get you but they're very good. we use them to scrub down the ambulance and kit in-between patients. they're also good for cleaning bathrooms and cookers ;)

Also, antibacterial solution won't work on this, as it's a virus. Alcohol gel needs to be stronger than 60% and as this particular virus has a lipid coat, soap and water is still the best weapon against it.