Need advice

xxgemmaxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have just tried contacting 3 different hospitals to speak to a nurse for urgent advice and none are available! I’m hoping somebody on here can advise.
My bg is 20.3 and I have a blood ketone measurement of 0.6 I am drinking water and giving extra insulin, but I have a 5 month old baby I am breastfeeding. It might sound stupid but I wasn’t sure if me having ketones will affect my breast milk and my baby?

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Call 111 and describe your problem they will advise you.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Okay. Having a high bg at 20 is grotty and your worry is likely to elevate that.
I'd advise a) not 'stacking' up your insulin doses so you don't crash down b) keep checking the ketones esp if you have a bug but 0.6 (assuming that is blood ketones?) is not anywhere near levels deemed to be toxic (ketoacidosis). Mine can go to that level from not eating or cutting out carbs.
We all use ketones as a fuel as do babies initially however if you are still drinking lots and the milk is flowing baby should be fin and isn't going to get yours anyway! Ketones are created by a metabolic process in our bodies when carbs aren't available (e.g. when you are type 1 and your bg is high) but in type 1s they are dangerous when too high in combination with too little insulin.
But at the level you are testing at it should only be a concern if you have a bug and levels start rising in which case get to A & E.