Type 1 Diabetes and Diarrhoea

TonyLean

Hello

I am a type 1 diabetic and have been since August 2000. I am on novarapid and use a pump (Accu-chek Aviva Insight).

For about 13 months now i have been suffering from Diarrhoea and it is really getting to me and the doctors cannot seem to work out what is wrong.

I was wondering if anyone else had suffered similar problems for a sustained period of time and maybe the issue was not something the Doctors were suggesting and could be related to Diabetes? My sugar control is not fantastic but it is far from terrible.

I am currently taking the following medication:-

Creon approx 150,00-200,000 per day
Avorstatin
Omeprezole
Ramipril
Loperamide (Only recently since problem with stomach started)

I have had a colonoscopy which showed some microscopic collitus but this was treated with a course of steroids which lasted about three months.

This whole problem is really getting me down and i am struggling to deal with it now on a day to day basis.

Any help/advice/suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you haven't been tested for gluten allergy I'd ask for that (in the meantime it's important to keep eating the gluten to get an accurate result). If you have had the test and it came back negative for allergy, you may still have an intolerance to gluten. Dairy, and indeed many other foods could be the culprit.
If you've had gluten test, then I'd try cutting gluten and dairy out of your diet for a few months, and if that helps gradually reintroduce them one by one, i.e. oats and see what reaction you get, then if ok maybe wheat or barley etc, same with dairy.
Another possible culprit could be one of the bulk fillers in medication as they vary from brand to brand. I'm fine with some brands but can't tolerate some at all.
You have to play your own detective and I found that the coating on Loperamide was making my symptoms worse, not better, so had to switch to the instants which dissolve under your tongue. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hello

I am a type 1 diabetic and have been since August 2000. I am on novarapid and use a pump (Accu-chek Aviva Insight).

For about 13 months now i have been suffering from Diarrhoea and it is really getting to me and the doctors cannot seem to work out what is wrong.

I was wondering if anyone else had suffered similar problems for a sustained period of time and maybe the issue was not something the Doctors were suggesting and could be related to Diabetes? My sugar control is not fantastic but it is far from terrible.

I am currently taking the following medication:-

Creon approx 150,00-200,000 per day
Avorstatin
Omeprezole
Ramipril
Loperamide (Only recently since problem with stomach started)

I have had a colonoscopy which showed some microscopic collitus but this was treated with a course of steroids which lasted about three months.

This whole problem is really getting me down and i am struggling to deal with it now on a day to day basis.

Any help/advice/suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Hi @TonyLean and welcome to the forum. Although I listed as not diabetic, I was Type 1 from 1959-2013.In 1985 my control varied and I ended up in your situation, being admitted to hospital for 5 days and undergoing an enema. I realised that the strict regime of the hospital had given me a continuously good blood glucose level and the problem went away. Whenever I suffered Montezuma's Revenge from then on, I would immediately test my blood sugar. Steroids will of course raise your blood sugar and so does stress and viruses etc. Anything which involves the adrenaline system will put up the glucose level artificially. It would be interesting to know what your highest levels are and over what range they fluctuate. Both Creon and Omeprazole can cause diarrhoea as a side effect. I hope this is in some way useful. Good luck