CT Scan diet

LadyLovely

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to have a CT scan and have been asked to follow a low fat, low fibre diet for two days. I'm concerned as this seems to be the very opposite of LCHF diet that I use to keep my blood sugar in check. I'm not on any medication. Anybody have any suggestions on how to handle this?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it’s just for 2 days I’d stick to lean meats, fish. You might be a bit hungrier than usual, but assuming you’re allowed to go back to what you’re currently doing, should be manageable for a couple of days - perhaps larger portions of leaner protein to compensate?

Reactions: Cat32

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to have a CT scan and have been asked to follow a low fat, low fibre diet for two days. I'm concerned as this seems to be the very opposite of LCHF diet that I use to keep my blood sugar in check. I'm not on any medication. Anybody have any suggestions on how to handle this?
Did anyone tell you why they thought that may be a good idea?

LadyLovely

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it’s just for 2 days I’d stick to lean meats, fish. You might be a bit hungrier than usual, but assuming you’re allowed to go back to what you’re currently doing, should be manageable for a couple of days - perhaps larger portions of leaner protein to compensate?

That's what I thought might be the case. I'll survive!

Reactions: Cat32

LadyLovely

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did anyone tell you why they thought that may be a good idea?
Nope! My GP surgery is not the best - both diabetic nurses left and not replaced yet (although I seemed to know more about it than they did). Never seen a GP with regards to diabetes. I'm one of the skinny ones and always ate to live, now all I can think about is when my next meal is! I get very anxious.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
If you google, "diet before CT scan" several things will come up, including a detailed diet sheet from Plymouth Hospitals. I haven't found the answer to 'why?", but the main advice is low carb, no roughage, no fats.
Sally

Reactions: LadyLovely

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this preparation for bowel cleansing medication? Or for a scan involving that area? They often quote this to make the process more effective. Not everyone or all areas does it. I’d perhaps give the unit doing the scan and ask for further advice.

LadyLovely

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this preparation for bowel cleansing medication? Or for a scan involving that area? They often quote this to make the process more effective. Not everyone or all areas does it. I’d perhaps give the unit doing the scan and ask for further advice.
Thanks I will give them a ring.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I will give them a ring.
It’s because you need to have a ‘clean’ bowel to enable a clear image. I had a colonoscopy a couple of weeks ago and had to eat low fibre, no fruit or veg etc - I kept an eye on my BS but, to be honest, I decided the procedure was more important than worrying about what I had to eat.

Reactions: NaijaChick

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s because you need to have a ‘clean’ bowel to enable a clear image. I had a colonoscopy a couple of weeks ago and had to eat low fibre, no fruit or veg etc - I kept an eye on my BS but, to be honest, I decided the procedure was more important than worrying about what I had to eat.
Incidentally this is a relatively new requirement in addition to the cleaning out medication that also gets prescribed. Maybe the two together help ensure fewer failures thus incomplete procedures.