Corona virus

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bickering! What over toilet rolls! Lol!
Had a discussion with 36 year old son this morning about Covid 19. He was very blasé about it. I reminded him about how ill I become with just a cold. I talked about my very much loved 80+ parents. Who yes, are fit and very active but have underlying health conditions and would possibly need care from what may be an overstretched health care system. It made him think, and as a policeman, baring in mind what they have done in Italy may involve him at a later date. It is interesting how those for whom this may indeed be mild and no risk to life tend to not take into account others for whom this may not be the case. As long as I am ok.... very 2020 in the UK!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The guy who invented sanitizing gel must be rubbing his hands now!

I'll get my coat.

Great.!
I came down with a stinking head cold yesterday. & "self quarantining.." (Apart from walking the dog at off peak times.)

Just don't want paranoid locals throwing rocks & waving pitchforks...

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Great.!
I came down with a stinking head cold yesterday. & "self quarantining.." (Apart from walking the dog at off peak times.)

I don't think that coughing in public is a hanging offence yet, but keep an eye on the news just in case.:mask:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think that coughing in public is a hanging offence yet, but keep an eye on the news just in case.:mask:

I get the odd splutter. But not what I would say is a cough.. Just the runny nose & a slight bangin' head that hasn't got any worse..
I rarely get chest infections.

Spicey Thai food & hot whiskey & lemon is on the menu tonight. ;)

Edited to edit typo; & to add, my BGs have been great..

Last edited:
Reactions: urbanracer

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great.!

Jaylee, trust me when I tell you I have never experienced such levels of suspicion, merely by having a deep suntan in winter.

Fortunately, to date, nobody has asked where we have been.

Reactions: Jaylee

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I know that 'markets' are fickle but looking at the headlines about the economy this mornng you could be forgiven for thinking that our superpowers had declared the start of thermo-nuclear war on each other.

Armageddon outta here (well somebody had to say it!)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jaylee, trust me when I tell you I have never experienced such levels of suspicion, merely by having a deep suntan in winter.

Fortunately, to date, nobody has asked where we have been.

Well? (Inadvertently testing the theory this morning.)
To date my sickness days off work since leaving school in 1983 have been 15 days..
5 of which (in the late 80s) I showed up to work with the spots from chickenpox on a Monday & was sent home & told to have the rest of the week. (Non contagious when the spots come.?)

Unlike me. (Usually punctual.) I had a phone call. Still sniffing & hacking up what had dropped onto my chest during the night. (Inspite of spending most of it sleeping restlessly in a "recovery position.")

"Hi J, are you OK.?" "Sorry." I replied, "but I don't think I will be welcomed with open arms, regarding the current climate?"

"Oh, yes. Thanks. Right you are..." o_O

Lol, it's just a cold... The BGs were high in the night. But they are great now, without so much as a correction. ;)

Reactions: urbanracer

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I am not worried as I have a good immune system and never really catch things.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Might seem obvious but...

I've noticed my immune system is so much stronger when my control is better, so for me, coronavirus is one hell of a motivator to keep up with it :)

I'm not hugely worried but i've printed out the sick day rules just in case! Fingers crossed we'll all be ok :)

I'm more worried about Download festival (first ever festival) being cancelled!

Reactions: smc4761

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Does anyone else think this whole thing has been blown up out of all sensibility by the nmdia. Look at it this way, we live in a population of about 67 million people in the U.K. About 370 people are known to have contracted this virus and six have died. That is so small a percentage it's almost impossible to calculate. Also those who have sadly died have been elderly with an already existing medical condition. The media coverage has led to panic buying and people being frightened to go out. How long is this going to go on for ? By all means take sensible precautions as far as cleanliness goes but no matter how often you might wash and scrub your hands, if you meet someone who is infected then that's not going to prevent the virus passing in the air. As someone has already posted, it's only a form of flu. More people die each year in the UK from diabetes than have died so far.Are we diabetics meant to hide away ? Be sensible but do not for gods sake panic. Chances are that if you get it you will feel unwell for a few days but unless you have a major respiratory health problem you will be OK. Both my in-laws are G.P's and they say the whole thing has been blown up out of all proportion. Don't forget, bad news sells papers better than good news.

Reactions: Sidney0942

Sidney0942

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Politicians.
I think the most important thing with Coronavirus is to take it seriously but don't panic. I just got back from Athens and I'm not worried. I'm T1 and had pneumonia not so long back too but I'm still not worried. I've read all the advice about keeping safe and applied it. Overreacting to it is a bit silly. I went to the pharmacy yesterday to pick up my medication and had a little tickle in my throat, so I coughed (into my elbow) just the once, and everyone in there looked at me and slowly congregated in the opposite corner of the pharmacy. I couldn't help laughing.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Does anyone else think this whole thing has been blown up out of all sensibility by the nmdia. Look at it this way, we live in a population of about 67 million people in the U.K. About 370 people are known to have contracted this virus and six have died. That is so small a percentage it's almost impossible to calculate. Also those who have sadly died have been elderly with an already existing medical condition. The media coverage has led to panic buying and people being frightened to go out. How long is this going to go on for ? By all means take sensible precautions as far as cleanliness goes but no matter how often you might wash and scrub your hands, if you meet someone who is infected then that's not going to prevent the virus passing in the air. As someone has already posted, it's only a form of flu. More people die each year in the UK from diabetes than have died so far.Are we diabetics meant to hide away ? Be sensible but do not for gods sake panic. Chances are that if you get it you will feel unwell for a few days but unless you have a major respiratory health problem you will be OK. Both my in-laws are G.P's and they say the whole thing has been blown up out of all proportion. Don't forget, bad news sells papers better than good news.

It is simple to calculate the UK's morbidity rate. 1% of 367 is 3.67 and so 6 is a little under 2% (of people who develop symptoms).

We don't know how successful containment and management will be and so it's obviously dangerous to extrapolate this and apply it to the whole country. BUT if half the population (35 million) develop symptoms and 2% of those affected die then it would equate to over 600,000 deaths in a relatively short period which is not trivial by any stretch of the imagination. Let's hope it doesn't pan out this way.

One of the biggest problems is the time factor. The flu virus is spread out across the winter period, whereas this Covid virus is arriving and infection rates are peaking within a few weeks which overwhelms the care providers. So I think this is quite real.

At the same time the news mongers are extraordinarily adept at using emotive words (soar sounds so much better than rise) and have to take some of the responsibility for the panic.

But then again you'd like to think that we are all sensible people capable of making informed decisions. The psychology behind the stocking of loo roll would tend to undermine this theory.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Please do not dismiss the genuine concerns of others.

There is a huge difference in perspective between those who are in the high risk groups (these include age, obesity, heart and breathing conditions, etc. etc not just diabetes) and those who are not in those high risk groups, and who seem unable to empathise.

For each co-morbidity that people have, their risk of complications increases, and while numbers remain comparatively small, the doubling of cases every few days is showing no signs of slowing. Doing the maths on this means that health care services may, in time, become overwhelmed - just like they have in China and Italy.

Speaking from my own personal perspective, I do not not anticipate COVID-19 being dangerous for myself.
The same most definitely does not apply to family members. We have 3 people in the most at risk groups (a combination of age, heart disease, asthma, COPD, history of pneumonia, as well as diabetes). I have a particular concern that my parents will both become ill at the same time and be unable to care for themselves and each other. Since we live 250 miles apart, this will involve me travelling to stay with them to nurse them - with serious consequences to my work and own family. Another family member, also in high risk groups lives locally. So we can visit and help there - unless I have to travel to nurse my parents, or we are asked to self isolate (my husband's job has high exposure to the public). In such circumstances, who takes priority? Difficult decisions.

Bearing this in mind, I feel that many people are casually and insensitively dismissing very real risks that exist for others.
The same people may also not feel it necessary to wash hands, etc. since they don't realise that if they infect others, they may place those others at real risk. Of course, the same applies to flu, norovirus, etc.

I feel that most of the reputable media sources are trying to be both informative and cautionary.
Social media on the other hand... often very unhelpful

Last edited:

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Could we please stop calling this a flu. Influenza viruses and coronaviruses are not the same thing even if they cause some similar symptoms.

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Please do not dismiss the genuine concerns of others.

There is a huge difference in perspective between those who are in the high risk groups (these include age, obesity, heart and breathing conditions, etc. etc not just diabetes) and those who are not in those high risk groups, and who seem unable to empathise.

For each co-morbidity that people have, their risk of complications increases, and while numbers remain comparatively small, the doubling of cases every few days is showing no signs of slowing. Doing the maths on this means that health care services may, in time, become overwhelmed - just like they have in China and Italy.

Speaking from my own personal perspective, I do not not anticipate COVID-19 being dangerous for myself.
The same most definitely does not apply to family members. We have 3 people in the most at risk groups (a combination of age, heart disease, asthma, COPD, history of pneumonia, as well as diabetes). I have a particular concern that my parents will both become ill at the same time and be unable to care for themselves and each other. Since we live 250 miles apart, this will involve me travelling to stay with them to nurse them - with serious consequences to my work and own family. Another family member, also in high risk groups lives locally. So we can visit and help there - unless I have to travel to nurse my parents, or we are asked to self isolate (my husband's job has high exposure to the public). In such circumstances, who takes priority? Difficult decisions.

Bearing this in mind, I feel that many people are casually and insensitively dismissing very real risks that exist for others.
The same people may also not feel it necessary to wash hands, etc. since they don't realise that if they infect others, they may place those others at real risk. Of course, the same applies to flu, norovirus, etc.

I feel that most of the reputable media sources are trying to be both informative and cautionary.
Social media on the other hand... often very unhelpful
I was not dismissing this out of hand, there is obviously a risk involved my point was, Do people think the media are making things worse by exploiting the issue ? As for the figure of 600,000 fatalities in this country alone that someone else mentioned, I do not believe that this will be the case. As for the number of cases doubling every few days, that is simply not true. They are rising but not in the numbers you claim. As at 09.00 am yesterday there were 373 cases in the uk, an increase of 54 in the previous 24 hours.