Choosing pump (Medtronic 670g or Tandem tslim x3+ Dexcom G6)

Talo

Hi all!

I recently moved to the US and I have to get a new pump (I now have a medtronic 640g from Argentina. Medtronic will not give me support for this pump).

I have been doing some research and nailed it down to medtronic 670g or Tandem tslim x2 + Dexcom G6. So far this is what I have:

- I understand that both can increase or decrease basal rate based on GCM readings. I don't know if one is better than the other in this regard.

Medtronic 670g pros

- Works with a AA battery. No charging (I prefer it that way)
- Medtronic provides both pump and sensor. No dealing with two companies.
- Medtronic support has been great to me. To get in contact with tandem to get info on the pump I had to call 2 times and wait 30min to get support.
-Tube is easy to hide (tandem has a "thing" on the tube that looks awful to me)

Tandem tslim x2+ Dexcom G6 pros
- Dexcom lasts for 10 days!
- No calibration needed (My medtronic sensor can struggle with calibrations when I'm not stable).
- Temperature sensor
- Reminder to change set
- Pump is a bit smaller

What I haven't considered yet are costs. I will get health insurance next month and ask about it.

I would really appreciate feedback (pros and cons) from people that have experience with them.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
It sounds a bit like you have already made up your mind to go with the Medtronic pump.

However, I am confused. You talk about the Tandem t:slim X3 pump. I was not aware that there was an X3 model.

I have a Tandem t:slim X2 pump. I did buy the Dexcom G6 starter pack.
The integration between the pump and the sensor was flawless. I really can't fault it.
The connection between the Dexcom G6 and my Android phone was a different matter. However.. To be fair... The official Dexcom app again worked very well.

It was only whe I tried to use the xDrip+ app that I experienced a lot of issues with connectivity

In the end I had to stop using the G6 sensors, partly because of the cost and partly because I suffered from an allergic reaction to the sensor after about a week.
This reaction is VERY rare with Dexcom sensors, so please don't assume it will happen to you. I have had similar problems with some brands of cannula too. I guess I am just a sensitive guy!

I cannot speak for the Medtronic.
On the forums people have said the sensor isn't as good as a G6.

Good luck

Reactions: Talo and porl69

Talo

It sounds a bit like you have already made up your mind to go with the Medtronic pump.

However, I am confused. You talk about the Tandem t:slim X3 pump. I was not aware that there was an X3 model.

I have a Tandem t:slim X2 pump. I did buy the Dexcom G6 starter pack.
The integration between the pump and the sensor was flawless. I really can't fault it.
The connection between the Dexcom G6 and my Android phone was a different matter. However.. To be fair... The official Dexcom app again worked very well.

It was only whe I tried to use the xDrip+ app that I experienced a lot of issues with connectivity

In the end I had to stop using the G6 sensors, partly because of the cost and partly because I suffered from an allergic reaction to the sensor after about a week.
This reaction is VERY rare with Dexcom sensors, so please don't assume it will happen to you. I have had similar problems with some brands of cannula too. I guess I am just a sensitive guy!

I cannot speak for the Medtronic.
On the forums people have said the sensor isn't as good as a G6.

Good luck

Thank you for the input!

My bad. The s:slim is the x2. I now edited the post (can't edit the title though).

I am actually more inclined for the tandem. Mainly because I dont really like medtronic sensors.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
G6 sensors are very good. Usually no calibrations at all.
From what I've read the Medtronic sensors are not as reliable.
T:Slim is updateable - no waiting 4 years for new features.
Already has Basal IQ to help prevent lows.
Control IQ (Hybrid closed loop) has already been released in the USA, expected here later this year.
I don't finding charging a problem.
I'm very happy with mine, though it is my first pump so I have nothing to compare it with.

Reactions: Talo

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Let us know how you get on!
Am looking forward to next generation pump when its due for renewal next year. Thinking of the ones you mentioned or MiniMed 740 following the story on this site as it corrects for highs and lows.

Reactions: porl69 and Talo

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have used both Dexcom and Medtronic guardian sensors. While Dexcom doesn’t communicate with any pump and doesn’t require calibrations and Medtronic guardian sensors does communicate with 670G and requires calibrations to keep its accuracy, both sensors does have its issues - connection problems, adhesive issues (both don’t stick very well on my dry skin), accuracy at the beginning and end of its life varies and the list goes on.

Medtronic 670G has a set target range on auto mode, so far I have found it challenging at the beginning but auto mode has kept me in range with its micro boluses and auto basal. But 780G is coming out soon in the US, so you might ask if you could upgrade to 670G and see if you can upgrade again when 780G comes out. 780G has a different target range, apparently lower and adjustable.

I haven’t had any issues with the 670G, issues I had with it was my settings were not correct and as a woman, I experience hormones do it made it difficult.

Talo

I have used both Dexcom and Medtronic guardian sensors. While Dexcom doesn’t communicate with any pump and doesn’t require calibrations and Medtronic guardian sensors does communicate with 670G and requires calibrations to keep its accuracy, both sensors does have its issues - connection problems, adhesive issues (both don’t stick very well on my dry skin), accuracy at the beginning and end of its life varies and the list goes on.

Medtronic 670G has a set target range on auto mode, so far I have found it challenging at the beginning but auto mode has kept me in range with its micro boluses and auto basal. But 780G is coming out soon in the US, so you might ask if you could upgrade to 670G and see if you can upgrade again when 780G comes out. 780G has a different target range, apparently lower and adjustable.

I haven’t had any issues with the 670G, issues I had with it was my settings were not correct and as a woman, I experience hormones do it made it difficult.

Thanks for the info! I had no idea about the new medtronic coming out this year. I'll look it up and ask them about the upgrade if I do get the 670 before.

I will keep you guys updated when I see my doctor and talk to his/her about it!

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have used both Dexcom and Medtronic guardian sensors. While Dexcom doesn’t communicate with any pump and doesn’t require calibrations and Medtronic guardian sensors does communicate with 670G.

Not true the Dexcom communicates to the t:slim X2.

I would go for the t:slim X2 with the Dexcom G6.

The new Control IQ - that you will get in the USA today is like a dimmer switch for bolus (unlike the Basal IQ or the Medtronic), it turns itself both down and up as needed at the rate needed to control your levels (ultimately it can turn off too but much more flexible).

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not true the Dexcom communicates to the t:slim X2.

I would go for the t:slim X2 with the Dexcom G6.

The new Control IQ - that you will get in the USA today is like a dimmer switch for bolus (unlike the Basal IQ or the Medtronic), it turns itself both down and up as needed at the rate needed to control your levels (ultimately it can turn off too but much more flexible).

I know it does, but Dexcom by itself doesn’t communicate. It’ll do the looping with the t slim.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know it does, but Dexcom by itself doesn’t communicate. It’ll do the looping with the t slim.

Yes it does - The Dexcom G6 fully communicates with the t:slim and your phone or receiver. Not sure how you can say it does not communicate, the t:slim will show you your BG's from your G6 as well as act on them.

Reactions: sammy704

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it does - The Dexcom G6 fully communicates with the t:slim and your phone or receiver. Not sure how you can say it does not communicate, the t:slim will show you your BG's from your G6 as well as act on them.

I’m sorry what I was trying to say if a person just has a Dexcom G6 without a pump, it doesn’t communicate. It’ll be a CGM that shows your BG every 5 minutes, it doesn’t do any looping. With the tandem, it will. Depending on OP’s current situation in the states, he or she may get a pump but may not get a CGM or vice versa. Some Americans have experienced their insurance saying a CGM isn’t a medical necessity therefore they may have to pay a ridiculous amount for a CGM out of pocket or both for a pump and a CGM.

I wish OP the best once he or she gets the situation sorted. I understand that the tandem does do the looping with the G6, possibly with less calibrations. Medtronic needs calibrations 2-3 times a day to stay in auto mode.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m sorry what I was trying to say if a person just has a Dexcom G6 without a pump, it doesn’t communicate. It’ll be a CGM that shows your BG every 5 minutes, it doesn’t do any looping. With the tandem, it will. Depending on OP’s current situation in the states, he or she may get a pump but may not get a CGM or vice versa. Some Americans have experienced their insurance saying a CGM isn’t a medical necessity therefore they may have to pay a ridiculous amount for a CGM out of pocket or both for a pump and a CGM.

I wish OP the best once he or she gets the situation sorted. I understand that the tandem does do the looping with the G6, possibly with less calibrations. Medtronic needs calibrations 2-3 times a day to stay in auto mode.

Thanks for the explanation, its not important but still not sure what you mean by implying you can loop with a Medtronic sensor without a pump but you can't with a Dexcom ? you need a pump to be able to loop. In any case its great news the original poster now seems to be sorted and can upgrade his pump when the new one comes.

Talo

Hi guys!

Just writting to let you know that I chose the tandem+DexcomG6 and I started wearing it today!

I actually got to wear the medtronic sensor and the dexcom simultaneously yesterday. They were really close in values allthough the medtronic took a little bit longer at showing bg changes.

Anyway, super happy so far with the control IQ! It already saved me from a hypo without eating any carbs. Tomorrow I will give the exercise feature a try.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi guys!

Anyway, super happy so far with the control IQ! It already saved me from a hypo without eating any carbs. Tomorrow I will give the exercise feature a try.

Glad your sorted @Talo and have Control IQ, would be really interested on how you find this - looking forward to when it becomes available in the UK. I'd heard some people use the "sleep" function to get lower control levels during the day too.

Talo

Glad your sorted @Talo and have Control IQ, would be really interested on how you find this - looking forward to when it becomes available in the UK. I'd heard some people use the "sleep" function to get lower control levels during the day too.

Interesting. I didn't know that. Probably not a good idea for me since I go low really fast with activity (Control IQ has been saving me since I got the pump) but the pump is amazing during sleep. Keeps me around a 100 with no problem. I am sleeping so well with it (used to wake up due to low alarms or to pee :bored:).

I hope you guys get it soon there!