Blind and using insulin pump?

KATY1

Dislikes
CRUELTY AND ALL ISMS.CONTROL FREAKS AND BULLIES.
GOSSIPS AND BAD SWEARING.
Helllo,
Could any one please let me know if blind/partially sighted people can use insulin pumps?
Thank you,
Katy1.

jopar

I know of one partially sighted person who uses a pump..

As to blind I should imagine what support they've got as is there somebody to fill cartridges up, check for air bubbles in tubing, and perhaps sort out the dosage/basal setting side of things?

KATY1

Dislikes
Thank you for taking the time to help.
Kay

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Katy I am partially sighted and use a pump. I am blind in one eye and reduced sight in the other. I was having problems injecting if not in good light before pump so I find pumping much better.

Due to my sight I had to choose the Animas 2020 pump as I couldn't see the screens on the other pumps clearly. I also use the Inset II which fires in for me and all I have to do is lay it against my skin and push the buttons.

How much vision do you have as this would help answer your question better? Is there anything you are especially concerned about?

KATY1

Dislikes
Hello Mushypea brain, (i feel very cheeky putting that).
Thank you for getting to me. I have no vision in my right eye and not alot in my left. Like you i seem to struggle a great deal more if the light is poor, (daylight).
In answer to your question as to what worries me most, its definatly not being able to control my diabetes. I desperatly need a bypass but they wont do it because im so poorly. Surely they can see this point. If i can somehow improve this control side of things, they can fix my heart problem. I just dont know where to go from here as it seems that there is nowhere. Sorry for sounding sorry for myself but i really do want to fight this and dont know how.....yet that is.
Thanks
Katyx

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I suspect you will only be able to use the Animas then, like me, but it is a great pump and has served me well so far. I was a bit sad to not have the option of a remote control but the screens on other pumps I just wasnt able to read.

My control has always been eratic, due to brittle diabetes, but the change since having the pump has amazed me. I used to aim to run aroung BG 8 but now my target is 5.6. I NEVER thought I'd even be able to aim for something like that!!

I would honestly speak to your DSN asap about getting on a pump and arrange to look at one.

As for sounding sorry for yourself you have every right to - diabetes is tough. My sight loss is due to an NHS blunder followed by a cover up. I was so, so angry for a long time and there were days I despaired of it all. It took me 5 years to fight for a pump and I began to wonder if it was worth it. It was!!!

Also have a look at the supplement Pycnogenol on the internet. Studies have shown for a long time it has serious benefits for sight issues, as well as being good for health. I read up on it and have taken it daily since I lost the sight in one eye. I believe it has saved my remaining sight.