Confirmed T2, Not LADA,

Changedling

Hello,

I'm a confirmed T2, not LADA, with suspicion of MODY. My Doctor wants to wait and monitor me for more data at this point. I'm a 28 year old male I weigh 120lb's I'm moderately active though this year has been pretty sedentary for me as I was cramming exams. So I admit this past year was, no exercise and terrible eating.

I'm being prescribed 2k Metformin a day.. Two 500mg tablets in the morning and two at night. My resting BG is 80 - 120, after I eat roughly ~60 carbs 3 hours later maybe BG levels at ~145. Is anyone else a young, skinny T2? I feel like a huge anomaly or something else is going on. C-peptide came back fine, negative for antibodies. Just looking for a T2 skinny buddy who can offer advise on how to stay healthy, maintain weight or gain weight, and live a long healthy life with family and friends.

Thanks.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

I'm a confirmed T2, not LADA, with suspicion of MODY. My Doctor wants to wait and monitor me for more data at this point. I'm a 28 year old male I weigh 120lb's I'm moderately active though this year has been pretty sedentary for me as I was cramming exams. So I admit this past year was, no exercise and terrible eating.

I'm being prescribed 2k Metformin a day.. Two 500mg tablets in the morning and two at night. My resting BG is 80 - 120, after I eat roughly ~60 carbs 3 hours later maybe BG levels at ~145. Is anyone else a young, skinny T2? I feel like a huge anomaly or something else is going on. C-peptide came back fine, negative for antibodies. Just looking for a T2 skinny buddy who can offer advise on how to stay healthy, maintain weight or gain weight, and live a long healthy life with family and friends.

Thanks.
Sorry, I was overweight and in my late 30's when diagnosed, but if you really are a T2, the Nutritional Thingy I posted when you introduced yourself still stands: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html .

Good luck eh, and I hope a skinny young T2'll be along soon. (They're out there!)
Jo

M

Member496333

Advancing age and body weight are not very reliable indicators. Especially weight. For the most part, people become T2 diabetic when their body runs out of places to stash the glucose as fat and it then begins spilling into the blood and saturating the entire body. The point at which the liver runs out of capacity in which to store the glucose doesn't necessarily have to mean obesity.

Everyone has a personal fat threshold which, when reached, prevents them from getting any fatter. Otherwise we would all balloon into the Marshmallow Man and never become diabetic at all.

In my own personal experience, and from reading, skinny type 2 can often have a really tough time overcoming the associated insulin resistance, whereas those who are able to become obese can sometimes reverse in a matter of weeks.

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
I am a not-so-young skinny type 2 (we are also known as TOFI Thin Outside, Fat Inside or MONWE Metabolically Obese Normal WEight - diabetes is great for those that like acronyms). The main indicator is the majority of any excess fat is always around the middle of the body. This is because all the excess is stored in the liver and then when it runs out of room the fat is stored in other organs, including the pancreas. I have managed to reduce my HbA1c from 108 to 45 by following a high fat low carb lifestyle, like so many other people here. I found that doing a lot of exercise helped as well. Another thing I am going to try, to see if I can shake my BG into the normal zone, is intermittent fasting. I tried it soon after I was diagnosed, but panicked when my BG started to rise about three weeks in. I have since learned that this can happen as the liver starts converting fat back into glucose and that it should resolve in time. There is lots of information on Low Carb High Fat lifestyle on this site. Also research Dr Jason Fung who does a lot of very useful You tube articles and he has also written a very good book "The DIabetes Code" . As Jim has said, it can be tricky for skinny T2 to reduce blood glucose numbers, but it can be done. Good luck!

Reactions: Member496333

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The C-Peptide test should be a good indicator of your Type and I assume it showed a normal to high reading? If you go to the gym or whatever it might be worth having your body fat measured. I had mine done over a period of 2 years with differing exercise routines and it dropped dramatically to a low level. That's no guarantee of low internal organ fat but it helps with insulin resistance. Assuming you aren't MODY it may be worth doing a further C-Peptide just in case it was an erroneous reading?