Can you feel if your blood sugar high or low?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
[QUOTE="nerovergil, post: 2227850, member: 520621"......
The best way is eat moderately. do no overeat. you can eat anything in moderation.[/QUOTE]

Actually there is some evidence that eating Moderate Carbs and Moderate Fats is the worst possible combination for a Type 2 Diabetic.

Sgathach

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am actually so glad I am slightly obsessed with checking my blood sugar.
Yesterday evening I was at 7.9 before dinner. I had a big meal of fried vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, mushrooms, pumpkin amd a bit of ricotta cheese) and actually had 2 helpings so I thought my bg would be really high - but I was planning to go out later and walk so I thought it would be ok.
1.5 hours later I was about to leave the house and thought I'd check to see how high I'd be now.....I was at 4.4.
No idea why I dropped so much after a big meal but I quickly ate a small piece of chocolate and made sure I packed my glucose when I left the house.
Scary to think had I not checked, I'd have discounted any sensations as being too high in sugar.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a big meal of fried vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, mushrooms, pumpkin amd a bit of ricotta cheese) and actually had 2 helpings so I thought my bg would be really high
Why would you expect a really high bg with such a low carb meal?

Sgathach

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Why would you expect a really high bg with such a low carb meal?
I found so far my blood sugar goes up at least a little bit with each meal and if I eat big portions, even more so.
I didn't realise eating can lower blood sugar too.
Still new to everything, it's barely been 3 weeks, so lots to learn.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I found so far my blood sugar goes up at least a little bit with each meal and if I eat big portions, even more so.
I didn't realise eating can lower blood sugar too.
Still new to everything, it's barely been 3 weeks, so lots to learn.
I don't think the eating lowered your blood sugar, it's more likely your blood sugar was dropping already and the low carb meal simply didn't push it up :)

Reactions: Sgathach

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I found long ago that a zero or very low carb meal usually drops my BG at least for 2 to 4hrs.
Fat can't raise BG at all and although Protein can eventually raise BG, even when it does it takes along time to do so.
Thus when I used to eat 2 boiled eggs for breakfast my BG always either stayed constant or dropped i.e. my almost zero carb meal halted or reduced my Dawn Phenomenon liver dump of glucose.

Sgathach

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think the eating lowered your blood sugar, it's more likely your blood sugar was dropping already and the low carb meal simply didn't push it up :)

Oh I hadn't considered that. So it may have dropped a lot faster or lower without a meal, but the meal i ate simply didnt help to keep it level or raise it.
I guess this would be good to see on a cgm, I would have seen a big drop there rather than guesswork.
I will keep this in mind though for future meal planning, thank you.

Reactions: Antje77

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I can feel when my blood sugar is getting low but I have no clue when it’s high I feel just the same.