Coronavirus age 44

Liftupjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So worried I’m Type 1 female for 37 years with high cholesterol and slightly overweight, I’m so scared of dying that the worries are making my blood sugar in there 20’s, I’m testing all the time, but so worried as have an on off sore throat and runny nose now a little cough and now panic attacks, I cannot afford to stay off work any longer I’ve been off for 7 days already, what chances have i got of dying with Coronavirus. Very scared diabetic

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
So worried I’m Type 1 female for 37 years with high cholesterol and slightly overweight, I’m so scared of dying that the worries are making my blood sugar in there 20’s, I’m testing all the time, but so worried as have an on off sore throat and runny nose now a little cough and now panic attacks, I cannot afford to stay off work any longer I’ve been off for 7 days already, what chances have i got of dying with Coronavirus. Very scared diabetic

Hi,we can't say what the chances are of being seriously ill with COVID-19 as it's a new virus and even professionals are disagreeing about what people should do.
If you are concerned or think you are at high risk, ie because of travelling and have been on close contact with someone who has it, that would be a risk factor. I did a risk checker a few days ago and I wasn't at risk, but age and health conditions did not appear, so I am keeping calm and level headed as much as possible.
Keep safe, vigilant, aware of recent updates and with good hygiene practice, you could also google questions regarding the virus.
Yoga and self meditation may help, breathing techniques too.
I hope you can lower your blood sugar to a more manageable level, take care.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do also remember that many people gets colds this time of year anyways, I've had a case of the sniffles and sneezes with the occassional cough for weeks (I can't shift the **** thing) but then I normally have some kind of cold at this time of year.

Reactions: Liftupjoe

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Feel the fear and get back to work anyway. What are your normal techniques for managing anxiety? Do not watch too much news. Now that Brexit and Megexit is over there is not enough else to talk about. Remember any viruses like high sugars so please try and get back to normal unless you have risks other than being type 1?

Liftupjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Feel the fear and get back to work anyway. What are your normal techniques for managing anxiety? Do not watch too much news. Now that Brexit and Megexit is over there is not enough else to talk about. Remember any viruses like high sugars so please try and get back to normal unless you have risks other than being type 1?

I normally take rescue remedy that helps x

Liftupjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,we can't say what the chances are of being seriously ill with COVID-19 as it's a new virus and even professionals are disagreeing about what people should do.
If you are concerned or think you are at high risk, ie because of travelling and have been on close contact with someone who has it, that would be a risk factor. I did a risk checker a few days ago and I wasn't at risk, but age and health conditions did not appear, so I am keeping calm and level headed as much as possible.
Keep safe, vigilant, aware of recent updates and with good hygiene practice, you could also google questions regarding the virus.
Yoga and self meditation may help, breathing techniques too.
I hope you can lower your blood sugar to a more manageable level, take care.

Thank you I’m washing my hands all the time, I will take in your advice and just get my blood sugars on track again x Kate

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Unfortunately living with health anxiety can be more crippling than living with a health condition.

Try some meditation or a long walk outdoors, eat well and sleep well and hopefully your anxiety will lessen.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Liftupjoe, I've always thought that in many ways those of us with fairly well controlled diabetes (any type) are actually healthier than the general public, especially when you're older and comparing yourself to the older general public. We get yearly blood tests and all manner of extra attention whereas your average Joe Public gets nothing. If we eat well, exercise, don't smoke and manage our glucose levels and so on then surely we are evening (if not bettering) the odds. I get that we have an underlying autoimmune condition but does that mean that we will keel over at the first sign of a virus? No, not in my book. Try to focus on your glucose levels and healthy lifestyle, if you are able to do that then my opinion is you are at no more (or little) risk of dying than anyone else. When the media mention 'diabetes' and the risks, they are mainly talking about those who fit into the worst of cases, ie the 'textbook' description of a diabetic and we all know how inaccurate that is. x

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

51 year old here in a simalar boat. Bit of a cold, work don't want me till I'm better. Now I got a slight cough, great..
I wouldn't normally bother about it. & certainly wouldn't have rung sick regarding this "bit of a cold & cough."
A few months back I would have been told to "man up."

However, we are where we are now.

Do you work with members of the gen public or as a carer? If your job involves pretty much working by yourself?
& you feel fit. Follow "gov.org" the guidelines & get back to work.

I'll stick my neck out & say there's more chance of being killed by boredom if you can't get out for a walk & at least get some fresh air.. :) Lucky my dog don't judge me on current affairs..

Liftupjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

51 year old here in a simalar boat. Bit of a cold, work don't want me till I'm better. Now I got a slight cough, great..
I wouldn't normally bother about it. & certainly wouldn't have rung sick regarding this "bit of a cold & cough."
A few months back I would have been told to "man up."

However, we are where we are now.

Do you work with members of the gen public or as a carer? If your job involves pretty much working by yourself?
& you feel fit. Follow "gov.org" the guidelines & get back to work.

I'll stick my neck out & say there's more chance of being killed by boredom if you can't get out for a
FA94EF5D-AAE8-4023-B0CE-FFD805FF5A99.jpg
walk & at least get some fresh air.. :) Lucky my dog don't judge me on current affairs..

Lol I work in a small company and are in a room with no ventilation and about 15 people, so I know where they have all been lol not abroad, I’ll just keep doing my best, I also have a dog who is keeping me company at home
FA94EF5D-AAE8-4023-B0CE-FFD805FF5A99.jpg

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol I work in a small company and are in a room with no ventilation and about 15 people, so I know where they have all been lol not abroad, I’ll just keep doing my best, I also have a dog who is keeping me company at home View attachment 39321

Lovely hound you have there. Here's ours.

Not sure exactly what you do. But if it's not a form of "production." (Maybe an office?) Is there no way you can work from home remotely.

image.jpeg

Reactions: KK123

Liftupjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Lovely hound you have there. Here's ours.

Not sure exactly what you do. But if it's not a form of "production." (Maybe an office?) Is there no way you can work from home remotely.

View attachment 39324

So cute x no it’s a production room so can’t work from home although people in the offices upstairs could. I can walk out if anyone sneezes and I will wear gloves all the time. No public so that good x

carnabychick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I work on an acute psychiatric ward in he NHS and I have no idea what their plans are regarding Coronavirus, we just keep getting told there will be info soon. I’m 51 and my immune system is rubbish, even the flu jab makes me ill

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
I have read that in Japan, no one under the age of 50 had died from Coronavirus. Try to stop worrying. It doesn't help

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lol I work in a small company and are in a room with no ventilation and about 15 people, so I know where they have all been lol not abroad, I’ll just keep doing my best, I also have a dog who is keeping me company at home View attachment 39321
Lovely dog! I don't think mine could cope if any of us could not take him for a long walk outside daily but he is also lovely company when marooned inside.

MauroM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Liftupjoe, I've always thought that in many ways those of us with fairly well controlled diabetes (any type) are actually healthier than the general public, especially when you're older and comparing yourself to the older general public. We get yearly blood tests and all manner of extra attention whereas your average Joe Public gets nothing. If we eat well, exercise, don't smoke and manage our glucose levels and so on then surely we are evening (if not bettering) the odds. I get that we have an underlying autoimmune condition but does that mean that we will keel over at the first sign of a virus? No, not in my book. Try to focus on your glucose levels and healthy lifestyle, if you are able to do that then my opinion is you are at no more (or little) risk of dying than anyone else. When the media mention 'diabetes' and the risks, they are mainly talking about those who fit into the worst of cases, ie the 'textbook' description of a diabetic and we all know how inaccurate that is. x
couldn't agree more

Reactions: KK123

lgrenter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sprouts, broccoli,racism,arguing
I am also trying hard to not worry too much over this. I’m 50 and have been type 1 since age 10. Never had any other health probs and am reasonably fit. I worry as I work as a primary school teacher, we all have coughs and colds there at the moment but that’s just the way life is when working with young children. I wish there was more helpful advice for us.... I continually search for someone to say they are type 1 in my age range and have been through this virus. I know it is survivable and most of us will prob get it with very mild symptoms but I think as this drags on our worries grow. It’s all going to mean major changes to our lives and the media as usual does seem to like to make drama. Btw, my dog is probably just as worried about what will happen to her walks