COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My son just rang me. He has sarcoidosis and has had so many chest infections, illnesses and viruses, I have lost count.
He rang his surgery to find out if he needs to self isolate, he was advised to ring the corona help line, after three attempts he still couldn't get through. he rand surgery back and they said a doctor will call him the afternoon to advise him. It's been a difficult time at the moment, because one of his children has just come back into our lives and she is coming round after school to see us, for the first time in 9 years, what to do, I don't know now, but my son is determined to meet her <3

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My son just rang me. He has sarcoidosis and has has many chest infections, illnesses and viruses, I have lost count.
He rang hids surgery to find out if he needs to self isolate, he was advised to ring the corona help line, after thgree attempts he still couldn't get through. he rand surgery back and they said a doctor will call him the afternoon to advise him. It's been a difficult time at the moment, because one of his children has just come back into our lives and she is coming round after school to see us, for the first time in 9 years, what to do, I don't know now, but my son is determined to meet her <3
a difficult one to call, i'd say.

can see the reasons for not wanting to cancel and also the sense in doing so
The wisdom of Solomon, where are you when needed.:sorry:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
a difficult one to call, i'd say.

can see the reasons for not wanting to cancel and also the sense in doing so
The wisdom of Solomon, where are you when needed.:sorry:

I will let you know what happened, it's awaiting game now, but I am crossing everything, even my eye's........ouch ;)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Thanks @jjraak , I heard it on the news, but we need leadership, confidence and truthfulness regarding our countries risk and safety, clear precise action, either one way or the other. Edited

Seems to me that hmgov.uk is playing a dangerous game, trying to protect the economy and waiting to see where the tipping point is before introducing severe restrictions on movements.

I'm afraid I don't get the logic of this. If the restrictions were put in place now then the long term effects would (surely?) be reduced. I see also that former health chief Professor John Ashton, is openly criticising the UK government for wasting a month.

My employer has just issued a decree stating visitors to our site are strictly prohibited until further notice. Elsewhere, Cheltenham goes ahead whilst football matches are going to be played behind closed doors - a very confusing situation.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
austria today

Austria has reported its first death of coronavirus - a 69-year-old man who died in hospital in Vienna.

According to local media, he had recently returned from Italy.

The country has also seen a rise in cases from 245 to more than 300 in the last 24 hours.
Chancellor Sebastian Kurz warned on Thursday that this number would rise to 1,000 within days, and then 10,000 a week after that.

"Anything that isn't necessary shouldn't go ahead," he said, public broadcaster ORF reported. "If you're asking yourself whether I should do something, it already means it's alright to do without it."

bbc

Reactions: kokhongw

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems to me that hmgov.uk is playing a dangerous game, trying to protect the economy and waiting to see where the tipping point is before introducing severe restrictions on movements.

I'm afraid I don't get the logic of this. If the restrictions were put in place now then the long term effects would (surely?) be reduced. I see also that former health chief Professor John Ashton, is openly criticising the UK government for wasting a month.

My employer has just issued a decree stating visitors to our site are strictly prohibited until further notice. Elsewhere, Cheltenham goes ahead whilst football matches are going to be played behind closed doors - a very confusing situation.

I'm inclined to agree with you.
As far as I can ascertain the 'confirmed cases' is only important to work out the true number. Because of the incubation period people are infectious well before their symptoms show. At which point they may become an official statistic. The fact is they have been mixing (and infecting) for 5 - 12 (+) days already. If you extrapolate that out its where the Hubei province figures come from. (look at the graphs in the article above and see whether you interpret them differently. I hope you do) Again, as far as I can gather it's only after lockdown that the true figures start to slow and decline.
My worry is the scant regard some people pay to their and others' safety. If somebody wants to be reckless and infect themselves, that's up to them. But should that person, through their recklessness, infect others who may be vulnerable, then that's another matter. I'll admit to being blase a while ago, but not any longer.
Just to add that I'm a member of a local internet discussion group and the blase attitude of some, particularly younger, people is frankly sickening. They think the threat is overblown and they are indestructable but it's a virtual world where they play virtual games where success is judged by the number of like-minded idiots who press the like button. Very worrying.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robinredbreast

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My son just rang me. He has sarcoidosis and has had so many chest infections, illnesses and viruses, I have lost count.
He rang his surgery to find out if he needs to self isolate, he was advised to ring the corona help line, after three attempts he still couldn't get through. he rand surgery back and they said a doctor will call him the afternoon to advise him. It's been a difficult time at the moment, because one of his children has just come back into our lives and she is coming round after school to see us, for the first time in 9 years, what to do, I don't know now, but my son is determined to meet her <3

Unless any of the parties has specific COVID symptoms, in your shoes, I would go ahead.

It is more likely your son would get a big boost from the meeting happening, as opposed to the downer of deferring it after nine years, but only you guys know and understand your positions.

I hope you can all find a way to make it happen. I'll cross my fingers for you.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since dxd as T2 I havent had any infection though know from my late morher’s experience with a bacterial i fection it can cause your BG to skyrocket and stay high for some time. Anyone know how to manage that and bring the numbers down?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Oh and who was it thought it would be ok to allow 3,000 football supporters from Madrid to attend a football match in Liverpool when their own home ground is closed and city at a standstill, with schools and universities closed and health services overwhelmed?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh and who was it thought it would be ok to allow 3,000 football supporters from Madrid to attend a football match in Liverpool when their own home ground is closed and city at a standstill, with schools and universities closed and health services overwhelmed?
Someone who cares more for money than people.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, yet another perspective has just arrived on my doorstep - literally.

Our weekly Tesco delivery came about 15 mins ago. The usual 2 plastic crates. I had added a couple of extra tins of corned beef, and some extra butter, but nothing significant.

The delivery guy was kind of exasperatedly speechless.
He said that they are the busiest he has ever seen - more than Xmas. Pulling extra shifts and the vans down at the axles with extra weight.

Anyway, yesterday he went to a house that had ordered 15 plastic crates full of tins. Just tins. Nothing else. He asked them if they were self isolating, and was told no. This was just for two people 'just in case'.

His next call was to an 80 year old man, out in a small village, whose order was half missing, because of that kind of panic buying. The customer was quite distressed, the driver was both distressed an angry on his behalf. This was a week's food for the customer, on a state pension, and in order to go to the supermarket himself would be a £30 taxi fare, since no buses go that route.

Am ranting. Will stop.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.

Our weekly Tesco delivery came about 15 mins ago. The usual 2 plastic crates. I had added a couple of extra tins of corned beef, and some extra butter, but nothing significant.

He said that they are the busiest he has ever seen - more than Xmas. Pulling extra shifts and the vans down at the axles with extra weight.

Anyway, yesterday he went to a house that had ordered 15 plastic crates full of tins. Just tins. Nothing else. He asked them if they were self isolating, and was told no. This was just for two people 'just in case'.

His next call was to an 80 year old man, out in a small village, whose order was half missing, because of that kind of panic buying. The customer was quite distressed, the driver was both distressed an angry on his behalf. This was a week's food for the customer, on a state pension, and in order to go to the supermarket himself would be a £30 taxi fare, since no buses go that route.

Am ranting. Will stop.

The Asda website crashed today from heavy traffic. When I did manage to get on to the website to add a few items to my normal weekly order (scheduled for tomorrow) I found almost half of my order is unavailable.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Unless any of the parties has specific COVID symptoms, in your shoes, I would go ahead.

It is more likely your son would get a big boost from the meeting happening, as opposed to the downer of deferring it after nine years, but only you guys know and understand your positions.

I hope you can all find a way to make it happen. I'll cross my fingers for you.

My son's surgery still hasn't rung him back yet, so we are going ahead, as we don't want to miss out on seeing her. If anything negative happens, regrading COVID-19, at least today, I have seen her <3 now I'm getting excited but a little nervous too. Can't wait :happy:

dragongirl

Any chance of wiser people sharing how to keep blood sugar readings down if we catch it? I know they'll rise to fight infection - I'm speaking as a T2, who (like many of you) keeps on the 5% bench through diet alone, and have done for 11 years since diagnosis. And am otherwise healthy bar some arthritis - am 71. I think this question was asked above, too, but got lost in the other issues! Thanks! Would really appreciate some wisdom. I'm never ill!

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Still not caught up with you all. My husband's cousin passed from cancer. It's a day's drive. I researched it last night. They have two CORVID-19 cases where he's going to the funeral. Risky, but he's vibrantly healthy, and it's likely the last time he'll see this part of his family. He's leaving this morning.

For work, I personally am packing in and out each day my water and food so I don't have to use the kitchen, microwave, refrigerator, or water. Am washing hands throughout the day to protect my co-workers and myself. Maintaining distancing, etc.

I have a question that I'd like to have you all weigh in on. Should the common practice of sharing food and bowls of packaged candy at the office be stopped temporarily?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any chance of wiser people sharing how to keep blood sugar readings down if we catch it? I know they'll rise to fight infection - I'm speaking as a T2, who (like many of you) keeps on the 5% bench through diet alone, and have done for 11 years since diagnosis. And am otherwise healthy bar some arthritis - am 71. I think this question was asked above, too, but got lost in the other issues! Thanks! Would really appreciate some wisdom. I'm never ill!
Thanks for bumping this question up.

Reactions: jjraak

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Am ranting. Will stop.
I agree this is terrible. Boris & Co kept saying they were in talks with the supermarkets to keep the food supply going. Yet its only this week the stores have started limiting the number of essentials to customers. It doesnt exactly inspire confidence that they cant even manage this to help their local communities. Shame on the bulk buyers but more shame on the supermarkets who allow it resulting in a vulnerable OAP going without.

Reactions: Buzzer81

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Still not caught up with you all. My husband's cousin passed from cancer. It's a day's drive. I researched it last night. They have two CORVID-19 cases where he's going to the funeral. Risky, but he's vibrantly healthy, and it's likely the last time he'll see this part of his family. He's leaving this morning.

For work, I personally am packing in and out each day my water and food so I don't have to use the kitchen, microwave, refrigerator, or water. Am washing hands throughout the day to protect my co-workers and myself. Maintaining distancing, etc.

I have a question that I'd like to have you all weigh in on. Should the common practice of sharing food and bowls of packaged candy at the office be stopped temporarily?
Re food sharing. Yes. I note that cafes and stores that sometimes have samples out are stopping that practice for now as it is a very obvious way to pass on bugs unless things are individually wrapped.
Also if most of the populations is at risk of becoming metabolically ill why even have candy bowls? (this is a rhetorical question as I know how office culture works round food!) It shows how difficult we find it to perceive risk I suppose!

Reactions: jjraak

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

My take on it would be to drink plenty water, eat well, if I felt up to eating an look after myself to try to get well asap.

If I were to catch this virus, and my A1c went up as a result, I'd just have t suck it up and redouble my efforts to bring it back down again.

Provided the virus "only" lasted a couple of weeks, it would be unlikely to do to much damage, but best to be in our best state at the point of infection, if we can.

Hopefully, this isn't something we'll be challenged with.

Reactions: Buzzer81

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
So 'they' actually want people to get the virus...

Universal household isolation could be necessary soon
Dr Patrick Vallance has advised against universal household isolation for the time being, but says it could come later.

He said: "With the idea of households going into complete isolation that comes a bit later. At the moment most people would not have the coronavirus. You may have to do the whole thing again, and then the effect of that wains. People don't want to do that time and time again.

"It's not possible to stop everyone getting it and it's also not desirable, because we need to have some immunity to protect ourselves in the future."