kidney function and met

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Have been on metformin 3 weeks even thoughmy gfr is 47 it was thought to be okay for me but I am having seriously weak legs etc ,headaches daily so is this the met do you think as its worrying me a lot

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I think you might be reassured by a blood test/GP consultation.

Renal deterioration is relatively symptomless, until severe, blood test is gold standard here, and a very reasonable thing to ask for.

Weakness in legs should be evaluated without delay, as should persistently frequent headaches.

But, they do fit the side effect profile of rosuvastatin (Crestor)… have you thought of this?

Good luck @borderter , do let us know how things go.

Edit to add:
Lifted from NICE
Recommendation:

In adults with type 2 diabetes, review the dose of metformin if the estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) is below 45 ml/minute/1.73m2:

• Stop metformin if the eGFR is below 30 ml/minute/ 1.73m2.

Last edited:

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
I think you might be reassured by a blood test/GP consultation.

Renal deterioration is relatively symptomless, until severe, blood test is gold standard here, and a very reasonable thing to ask for.

Weakness in legs should be evaluated without delay, as should persistently frequent headaches.

But, they do fit the side effect profile of rosuvastatin (Crestor)… have you thought of this?

Good luck @borderter , do let us know how things go.

Edit to add:
Lifted from NICE
Recommendation:

In adults with type 2 diabetes, review the dose of metformin if the estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) is below 45 ml/minute/1.73m2:

• Stop metformin if the eGFR is below 30 ml/minute/ 1.73m2.
Thanks for that .Have appt for next week for bloods so will mention it then .On second point have been on statin for 3 years so doubt its that