Do you inject in public? and how organised are you

letteyc

i tried injecting my thigh today in the car, a bit awkward :S dont feel like getting my belly out in public either :p

also, im a bit unorganised, i carry my hand bag around everywhere but its like.. a mess.. i need to get organised now i think, do you have like a certain place you carry your insulin pens/meters etc, ive been looking for a funky little bag or somthing... small enough to put in my handbag.

one more: im getting a sharps box.... where do i put it/what do i do with it when its full?

Snodger

letteyc said:
i tried injecting my thigh today in the car, a bit awkward :S dont feel like getting my belly out in public either :p

also, im a bit unorganised, i carry my hand bag around everywhere but its like.. a mess.. i need to get organised now i think, do you have like a certain place you carry your insulin pens/meters etc, ive been looking for a funky little bag or somthing... small enough to put in my handbag.

one more: im getting a sharps box.... where do i put it/what do i do with it when its full?

it does feel weird at first. But people rarely do notice when you inject yourself, at least not in my (over 20 yrs) experience.
Whenever I buy a new bag I take my pens along to slot into it and make sure there are little pockets that the pens will fit in. Clarks are doing a really nice little handbag at the moment with perfect pockety things in. I have also in the past made myself a little pen holder (sewn it) that keeps them together and avoids them getting the lids damaged when they are in a bigger bag.

The sharps box - this will vary according to which council/doctor you have. Some GPs will accept the full boxes, in other places you have to get the council to pick them up. I'd try your GP first.

Fallenstar

I have all my Diabetic stuff in a make up case, so I look extra vain always carrying it around..it does have an old circa 1990's coral in gold ,Rimmol lipstick in the bottom just in case any one thought I was a fraud :wink:
I always have it all with me in my bag ,and where I go ,my bag goes with me...I think people think I carry the crown jewels around in my bag as it NEVER leaves my side....but it's just second nature to always have my Diabetic stuff with me at ALL TIMES!

Ausra

I use a pencil case too..a very simple one black. It fits everywhere.

Injecting in public still feels weird for me. I tried to do it couple of times..i feel like everyone is watching. Can't do it. Funny, when i was not diabetic i never even wanted to eat in public..now i want to eat everywhere but cant inject.

lauren_gee_x

injecting in public doesnt bother me know like it used to its just one of those things that needs to be done.
like in work the other day a women piped up with 'oh theres no way id be able to do that to myself'
to which i replied ' its either that or i take ill and eventually die' harsh but it soon shut her up lol

as for being organised im a bit like yourself everything is everywere lol but think il go get a pencil case tomorrow.

A

Anonymous

I have a zipped pocket in my bag so everything usually goes in there but I am liking the pencil case idea :) If I am out in public and I need to inject I usually go into a public toilet if there is one around it seems to make things a lot easier.

jay2506

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just use my stomach. I'm reasonably comfortable doing this in public. If people don't want to see my 'muffin top'(!) look away! If I'm wearing a dress however, I will nip to the loos and use my thigh. Don't want to get done for flashing!!

I've only been on insulin since June. The very first time I injected in public (discreetly and I had turned away from other tables in restaurant chain) the waitress walked past and said really loudly 'What are you doing?' I was mortified! However, I have become a bit thicker skinned now. If people have a problem with it they can choose to look away.

I too have a massive handbag with all sorts of junk in it for both me and the kids. All my diabetes paraphanalia (including meter, spare needles, dextrose tabs, pens etc) are kept in a brightly coloured square make up bag. This way I can identify it easily in the depths of my bag and if I'm a bit hypo it's not too much hard work. Also, it's a good excuse to buy more make up as I use the freebie make up bags that come as part of a bonus!

1974darrenh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually nip to the toilet in a resturant. If I'm well hidden then I may just inject in my stomach

LaughingHyena

I've not had any problems injecting in public, though I usually wear separate top and bottoms so I don't have to expose too much tummy. I'm not generally I dress person so the issue hasn't cropped up yet.

I have a zip pocket in the inside of my handbag which I keep a packet of dextrose in and there are generally plastic sandwich bags with a few jelly babies in in most of my coat pockets. A meter lives in my handbag but I do sometimes take it out and stick it in a coat pocket or even a bum bag if I'm cycling. I don't tend to carry insulin with me unless I'm going out for a meal.

RussG

I inject whenever and wherever I need to. I was bought a Joe's small-in-one case and I think it's great for keeping my stuff organised.

jopar

I'm on a insulin pump now so no concerns..

But yes I did inject in public if I needed an injection, my husband (t1) still does..

Being female my kit has always gone in my handbag, with hubby he has a cyclist bag, which he can secure to the handle bars of his bike or where as a bum bag..

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone carry a bottle of Lucozade...? Makes my handbag weigh a tonne, have had a few spillages over the years and sometimes the lid gets so sticky I can't unscrew it. Grrr! It's the only thing I can really rely on though for hypos, I can't stand the dextrose tablets!

x

the_exile

Have no qualms about injecting in public whatsoever, and I haven't really had any issues from others about it, may be the laid back Scottish don't give a monkeys about it, the only bother I can remember is in London a few years back in an Indian Resteraunt, I had a woman look at me as if I was drowning kittens, a quick "It's barry stuff hen, ye wanting some?!" soon averted her eyes, hehe.

As for the lucozade, I found small sugary red bull "shots" which are really easy to carry, a lot easier than a 330ml bottle of lucozade and plenty sugar to bring you out of a hypo.

jameshallam

jelly babies are easy to carry round, and much nicer than dextrose tabs!
I use a pencil case as well - it can be a bit difficult as a bloke with a man bag.
If I don't have a bag with me, I'll try and where something with big pockets

steveinblackpool

I must admit i do think of other people when i need to inject so if im in an eating establishment i will go to the toilet if im not sat in a quiet place.
But if im out in public i just roll my sleves up and stand in a quiet corner somewhere only because i dont want to upset anyone. I have injected on the steps of the Vatican and found a policeman watching me but he didnt say anything and walked away.

Otenba

Dislikes
peanuts, coffee, spiders, flies, bees, wasps, coffee, coffee sweets, being picked up, being ill, bad sugar levels
copepod said:
A pencil case is a cheap and easy solution.

Haha, you beat me to it!

I use a pencil case for holding a stock of needles (both kinds) and something a bit bigger, like a wash bag, to hold the kit all in one thing for convience when using something like a backpack.

I do also have a dedicated handbag for those days when all I want to take is my kit, phone, wallet and keys. :)

I don't usualy worry too much about injecting in public. I just aim to be discreet the best I can. Not had any problems yet and I've injected while sitting on a street bench!