Lindt Dark Chocolate

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone here have any amount of dark chocolate as a treat?

If so, which kind and how much do you have?

I'm a newbie so I'm not sure whether I can occasionally have a bit of chocolate or not...

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Rosie,
I get the 85% dark from Lidl and I usually have two or three squares per day.

We have got have our little weaknesses! :)
It is low sugar and good for the heart, but is an acquired taste!
I think it comes from Chile and is fair trade.
Derek

M

Member496333

You can make your own by melting together cacao butter and cocoa powder, pouring into moulds and setting in the fridge. There's also Montezuma's Absolute Black 100% which I used to eat. I don't touch any of it anymore but that's because I'm an oxalate bore. Neither home made or Montezuma's raised my blood glucose, even with a whole 100g bar :wacky:

Reactions: Krystyna23040

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I personally only eat Lindt 90% or Aldi's Moser Roth 85%

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I don't eat much chocolate but when I do I like a square or two of Lindt 85% or Godiva 90%.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
I only eat Lindt 90% because it has less carbs than any other high cocoa chocolate I have found. I have tried 95% cocoa, but that was just a bit too bitter for me (and twice the price to boot). I have heard that cocoa lowers blood sugar levels, but its probably best not to eat enough to prove the theory.

surdoux

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Idiots
I've ordered 4 bars, 'just to try it'

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One of my favourites is Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons. I worked my way up the percentages!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am addicted to Hotel Chocolat 100% cocoa chocolate drops. No added sugar whatever, and the "drop" format makes it (relatively) easy to stop eating before too much damage has been done. I find that when I buy chocolate in bar form it is fatally easy accidentally to break the bar into slightly irregular pieces and then feel obliged to tidy them up. In addition, the drops work out much cheaper than any other 100% chocolate. A 350g bag costs £6, which goes down to £5 each if you buy 2. AND Hotel Chocolat has regular offers which reduce the price further.

Right now, the code CHOCEGG gives £5 off when spending £30, £10 off £50 and £20 off £90. Offer ends 22nd March. Plus free standard delivery when spending over £35. I have just bought 18 x 350g packs for £70, meaning I have paid just £3.89 per 350g pack. I hope my house won't burn down before I have eaten it them all. I'm not sure my insurers would believe I had stockpiled £70 worth of chocolate drops!

In the olden days, before I cared about carbs, I would not have tolerated 100% chocolate, but now I have perforce got used to it, I doubt if I could go back to enjoying anything with a sweeter but less interesting taste.

NB I have no commercial or other links with Hotel Chocolat.

Reactions: surdoux

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like the Hotel Chocolate 85% batons or their ginger puddles - big dark chocolate buttons. However I also have Lindt 70%

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I have Green & Blacks 85% Dark and a few squares most days. It has around 22% carbs so look for 85% dark or higher with the lowest carbs you can tolerate

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm a newbie so I'm not sure whether I can occasionally have a bit of chocolate or not...
Usually a square, maybe two of Lindt 85% or higher. Sometimes with a little gulp of cream, a little bit of butter or a walnut, but I've gotten used to the really dark stuff and it doesn't taste as bitter as it used to. But yeah... Extra dark is excellent. :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@RosieMaxwell: Since everyone is different, the only way to find out how much (of either chocolate or anything else slighty carby!) you personally can tolerate is to "eat to your meter" and let your resulting glucose levels guide you.

Dark chocolate and cocoa contain polyphenols which research has shown may help with insulin resistance (though possibly in larger quantities than I choose to have) so I consider it an essential if small part of my diet.

So: Lindt 85% dark chocolate for me. As dark choc used to be one of my migraine triggers pre low carb style of eating, I'm a bit cautious still where it's concerned and normally will eat no more than 1-2 pieces a day, but I'll occasionally - when stressed - scoff somewhat more.

I've also made my own chocolate with cocoa and coconut manna, and I use cocoa in hot drinks, for chocolate hazelnut muffins or with creme fraiche to make chocolate cream.

Last edited:

NéjiSaïdi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fake knowledge

Dark chocolate is generally recommended. Yet,and for optimal benefits, it has to be at least 85 % cocoa; i.e. less sugar and dairy. Still, being good doesn't imply excessive consumption. Have an occasional treat with moderation. Keep an eye on the glycemic index and load.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If anyone finds the really dark stuff too bitter (I wimp out at 80%+ ;) )
Then it makes a glorious hot choc.

i put a few squares into a mug with a spoon of erythritol (my sweetener of choice).
Add hot water, whisk (or blend, or aerolatte) and then top up with double cream.

all quantities adjustable to taste.

A few days ago I came to the shocking revelation that this is now my favourite way of chocolateing. :D
After years of dedicated research, involving Green&Blacks, Lindt, Godiva, Montezuma, various own brands, Heston B, Hotel Chocolat, and many others... I have settled on Bournville 100% cocoa powder as a brilliant value, delicious, easily available, all-rounder for this.

Last edited:

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Waitrose No1 90% is the nicest and lowest carb I’ve found. I have one square a week if I can get my hands on some as it’s often out of stock.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dark chocolate is generally recommended. Yet,and for optimal benefits, it has to be at least 85 % cocoa; i.e. less sugar and dairy. Still, being good doesn't imply excessive consumption. Have an occasional treat with moderation. Keep an eye on the glycemic index and load.
Although I occasionally have 85% I prefer the 70% chocolate

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I have the Lindt 78% since it has no discernible difference to me than the 85% version and tastes better. It has 4.8g of carbs in two squares. I can tolerate 20g of carbs per meal and sometimes 30g of extra low GI carbs. Everybody is different though. My 20g would be on the high side for some here and on the low side for others. Just try it out and use your meter.