NHS 111 Covid-9

Nioami

Any assistance welcomed

I’ve tried 111 four times over the last 24 hours spending over 6 hours on Hold
I’m Type 1 with a myriad of complications and am suffering from running nose, sneezing, sore throat, coughing and harsh muscle pain - plus I am exhausted!
I can’t get any advice from the GP who just refer me to 111
I have two children and a elderly mum with health conditions
What can i do...????
Thanks

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
Hi Nioami,
Sorry you are so unwell! Do you have a diabetic nurse and/or consultant you can contact? Surely as T1 you are under hospital care?
I'm afraid 111 wouldn't be such a great help anyway. My own GP told me they are useless.
Two weeks ago i had exactly the same symptoms like you but only mild fever and the cough was just like normal cold one. It took me two weeks to recover but left me exhausted. I couldn't imagine having to care for two children and an elderly mum.

I hope someone on here has some better advice and i do hope you're getting better soon.

Reactions: Nioami

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Try the DuK helpline.
To get in touch for answers, support or just to talk things through about diabetes, contact our Helpline on 0345 123 2399, emailhelpline@diabetes.org.ukor go towww.diabetes.org.uk.
Its likely you have a nasty cold/flu but given your situation you should get checked out but avoid going out to hospital/Gp surgery.
If you are exhausted is that high blood sugars? Hopefully you can test but be aware that you may run high if coping with infection or just being stressed. I assume you are being diligent with hand washing.
Best of luck with getting some advice.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could try another tack with 111 too. If you fill in the symptom checker then you can request a call back, which may still take a while, but at least you won’t need to be continually dialling.

Reactions: Nioami and johen

johen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you get some luck from 111 when you do as Goonergal suggests. I have just received an email from diabetes.co.uk with general advice in it, mentionng keep testing blood sugars etc... but frankly I am bricking it about this virus too. As well as having T1, I always get a chest infection and asthma when I am ill. It is very disconcerting to hear there is no response from 111 :-( I mean, how are they confirming cases? Do they send out people in white suits to test you?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Any assistance welcomed

I’m Type 1 with a myriad of complications and am suffering from running nose, sneezing, sore throat, coughing and harsh muscle pain - plus I am exhausted!
What can i do...????
Thanks

Hi @Nioami ,

This time of year there are a lot of seasonal colds & flu about.
Now, I have had the flu shot as recomended by my surgery late last year. (Done so for years.) However, it doesn't always stop them but it does lessen the impact & shorten the amount of time fighting it off..
Talking of "seasonals." I'm currently getting over a cold.. & yep, apart from walking the dog in open countryside. I've kept away from others when it came on, just in case.

Flu shot did you have yours? Has your mum had hers? I you both should have been eligible at the local surgury.

@Goonergal 's recomendation of using the 111 "callback service" is a good idea.

OK, so I'm not sure where you are geographically located. Or if you drive? What I am reading is "Drive through COVID 19 test pods" set up in car parks in places like London, Wolverhapton & Devon??? (There was something about it on the news too.)
Guys in white? check via swabbing anyone feeling the have the symptoms..? Prolly early days for this yet.?

What else can I give you. This is new territory for us all.
But alas. Due to the general description of early COVID 19 symptoms, 111 maybe overrun with the basic "lurgey." Hence the delay in response..

Best wishes.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The Welsh 111 has been down today because of being massively overloaded. Not sure where you are, of course.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you get some luck from 111 when you do as Goonergal suggests. I have just received an email from diabetes.co.uk with general advice in it, mentionng keep testing blood sugars etc... but frankly I am bricking it about this virus too. As well as having T1, I always get a chest infection and asthma when I am ill. It is very disconcerting to hear there is no response from 111 :-( I mean, how are they confirming cases? Do they send out people in white suits to test you?

Only if you fulfil the criteria of having been to certain Countries or in proximity of someone who has it, etc. Not even that from today though.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Any assistance welcomed

What can i do...????
Thanks
To be honest, it sounds like you have a bad cold or flu, do you have a fever? Runny nose, sore throat and sneezing aren't symptoms of coronavirus as far as I'm aware. I have a manky cold at the moment, phoned my GP surgery to make an (unrelated) appointment and had to go through a checklist and have the triage nurse phone me back, they weren't concerned about my symptoms as I don't have a fever or shortness of breath

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much for responding
I’ve never been on a forum before and this is a great help to know that there are people out there who understand and care
Thank you all
Stay safe
Stay well

Stay safe & well yerself. & take good care of your mum.

If your kids are of a certain sensible age you can send em on errands? (To the shops.) Put it to good use.. ;)

Keep us updated.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
A friend of ours called us earlier today she told us that her son had been sent home from school today with a very high temperature and nasty cough.

She as advised by the school called 111 they said yes he probably has the virus so keep him home for a week and see how it progresses yes he is a young child but he has severe asthma and when an infant had to be hospitalised for Bronchiolitis so she is concerned that the advise given may not be the best in his case.

As she herself has more than one condition that could be worrying and she has just been discharged from hospital after having her gall bladder removed she is also concerned for herself if she is infected.

I'm afraid my advise was if he gets any worse or the cough and temperature does not improve call an ambulance. Not much better than she got from 111 it makes me feel so inadequate .

Reactions: Schmoukes