Are there any known Diabetics that have beat the Coronavirus?

Juugzy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was just wondering has anyone heard or
Know any diabetic that has beat the virus?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Tom hanks and his wife tested positive a few days ago, after he and his wife thought they had a cold.... he seems to be doing just fine. They are both isolated together for a few more weeks I guess.

Reactions: LindiePops

Juugzy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tom hanks and his wife tested positive a few days ago, after he and his wife thought they had a cold.... he seems to be doing just fine. They are both isolated together for a few more weeks I guess.
Yes Im sure there are others as well. Even though noone seems to know

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Yes Im sure there are others as well. Even though noone seems to know

Yeah, it may be a bit early to get much info in relation to those with health conditions.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Juugzy "Co-morbidities also raise the risk of dying from Covid-19. China CDC’s analysis of 44,672 patients found that the fatality rate in patients who reported no other health conditions was 0.9%. It was 10.5% for those with cardiovascular disease, 7.3% for those with diabetes, 6.3% for people with chronic respiratory diseases such as COPD, 6.0% for people with hypertension, and 5.6% for those with cancer."

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/03...n-of-coronavirus-risk-by-demographic-factors/

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the thing to remember is that all the stats quote how many die.
But this also means we can work out how many survive.

In the quote by @Marie 2
"Co-morbidities also raise the risk of dying from Covid-19. China CDC’s analysis of 44,672 patients found that the fatality rate in patients who reported no other health conditions was 0.9%. It was 10.5% for those with cardiovascular disease, 7.3% for those with diabetes, 6.3% for people with chronic respiratory diseases such as COPD, 6.0% for people with hypertension, and 5.6% for those with cancer."

The fatality rate quoted is 7.3% for those with diabetes, therefore 92.7% of those with diabetes did not die.

Last edited:

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Know any diabetic that has beat the virus?

Diabetes? Multiple Sclerosis? Old Age? COPD? I think the state of your immune system is more important. Yes it may be compromised because of something like Diabetes but who knows by how much. I recently had an enormous leg ulcer that the GP and surgery nurse said would take at least 6 weeks to clear up. It was gone in two weeks, possibly my immune system was better than average, I don't know. It just isn't that clear cut.

Reactions: Flora123 and Gannet

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I believe the first fatality in Bali was a 61 year old British woman who had several prior conditions including diabetes

The woman already had several underlying health conditions, including diabetes, hyperthyroidism, hypertension and a cardio-pulmonary condition a lot to deal with.

We all live with risks every day of our life all you can do is try to reduce the risks while getting on with your life as best you can, but do consider that this outbreak will not last forever and that restricting your activities for a few short weeks or months may not be such a burden.

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
The first case has been confirmed in my town, makes me very anxious on top of my anxiety and panic . I feel like the world has gone crazy with this virus and that the media are enjoying reporting on it . It's on every news channel its very depressing .

Reactions: Cat32

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Juugzy "Co-morbidities also raise the risk of dying from Covid-19. China CDC’s analysis of 44,672 patients found that the fatality rate in patients who reported no other health conditions was 0.9%. It was 10.5% for those with cardiovascular disease, 7.3% for those with diabetes, 6.3% for people with chronic respiratory diseases such as COPD, 6.0% for people with hypertension, and 5.6% for those with cancer."

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/03...n-of-coronavirus-risk-by-demographic-factors/

I'm in deep doo doo then.

I'm 69, I have heart disease, diabetes and hypertension. I also have a bone marrow problem.

Am I feeling lucky

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I think the thing to remember is that all the stats quote how many die.
But this also means we can work out how many survive.

In the quote by @Marie 2
"Co-morbidities also raise the risk of dying from Covid-19. China CDC’s analysis of 44,672 patients found that the fatality rate in patients who reported no other health conditions was 0.9%. It was 10.5% for those with cardiovascular disease, 7.3% for those with diabetes, 6.3% for people with chronic respiratory diseases such as COPD, 6.0% for people with hypertension, and 5.6% for those with cancer."

The fatality rate quoted is 7.3% for those with diabetes, therefore 92.7% of those with diabetes did not die.

As far as diabetes goes it's impossible to know the state of health, well controlled? No meds? Poorly controlled on a ton of stuff or Diabetic and didn't even know it? And age.

Also mortality rates are a bit inflated, it's impossible to know how many people have had corona and not even noticed or just had what they thought was a cold.

Still, gotta do what you can to avoid it. :)

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
It's a fairly safe assumption that deaths of diabetics due to Covid19 were at least predominantly of those with poor control since they are the vast majority, especially in China where Low Carb has not even started to make headway!

deszcznocity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Juugzy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm sure it would be a big stress reliever for many of us to hear about stories/experiences from diabetics who have beat the virus. Whether it was you or someone you know of. What was it like? How long did it last? Etc..

Reactions: AloeSvea

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm sure it would be a big stress reliever for many of us to hear about stories/experiences from diabetics who have beat the virus. Whether it was you or someone you know of. What was it like? How long did it last? Etc..

Hi,

I haven't had it.
But I did have a family member diagnosed after testing & whisked off to a covid ward from the cancer unit he was already being treated for a pre-existing bone cancer condition.
Miraculously he survived.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Juugzy

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I haven't had it.
But I did have a family member diagnosed after testing & whisked off to a covid ward from the cancer unit he was already being treated for a pre-existing bone cancer condition.
Miraculously he survived.

Hope this helps.
That’s fantastic @Jaylee! I think we need more “survivor” stories - my niece is frontline on ICU and she’s says there are lots of people having their own personal miracles and this is what keeps her going, don’t hear much about this on the news - I saw on the news last week that newsreader George Alagia (sp?) who has stage 4 cancer has survived COVID 19. There is always hope even in the darkest of times

Reactions: Speedbird