COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Stuarthmfc

Pneumonia vaccine protects against one particular bacterium, Streptococcus pneumoniae. This is one of the most common causes of post-influenza pneumonia so you would expect the vaccine help protect against a post-Covid-19 infection with that particular bacterial species. However, pneumonia can be caused by other bacteria and it would offer no protection against them.

Thank you this is really useful information

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I should post the reference for the Diabetes 31% Non-survivor vs 14% Survivor rates that I posted above.
They are from Table 1 which you have to expand to see diabetes.

Numbers are naturally low as this is from the very start of hospital records.
For higher numbers see the WHO records with 0.9% death rate from No-coexisting condition and 9%/7% death rate for diabetes - but again, that carries a warning that it is only those to date (Jan) and does not consider all those still in care, so short term only.

https://www.thelancet.com/lancet/article/S0140-6736(20)30566-3

WHO data

View attachment 39352
The chart shows the probability of dying in people with a pre-condition. It doesn't necessarily mean that the pre-condition was the cause. Many people with T2 are old or have poor general health so they are more vulnerable irrespective of having diabetes.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Boots the Chemist (which is now international) offer a pneumonia jab. This is different from the one offered by the NHS.
Having both would increase the number of pneumonia strains that the person would be protected against.

My understanding is that 'at risk' patients, and all those over 65 get the NHS pneu jab for free. I believe the same jab can be paid for for those not getting it free, after a consult with a Boots pharmacist.

The Boots site says this:
https://www.boots.com/health-pharmacy-advice/vaccinations/pneumonia-vaccination-service

Boots offers a private Pneumonia Vaccination Service that protects against 13 of the most common strains of Streptococcus pneumoniae bacteria. The key benefits of our vaccination service are:

• A single vaccination enhances the immune response and provides long-lasting protection against pneumococcal pneumonia

• The vaccination can be administered at any time of the year and can help reduce risk for travellers going to countries which have higher levels of pneumococcal infections. Examples include India, China and Vietnam***

• The vaccination can be given at the same time as other vaccinations, such as the flu vaccination

People aged 65 and over are also eligible for a free NHS pneumonia vaccination. If you’re over 65 and haven’t already had the NHS vaccination, speak to your doctor about having this. It’s a different type of vaccination to the one used in the Boots service so you may want to consider having both to further increase your protection against pneumonia. You may also be eligible for the NHS vaccination if you are under 65 and are living with a long-term health condition such as diabetes.†

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m thinking as pneumonia is a stage that coronavirus can take you too, would the excising jab protect with that?
No. The flu jab is for some bacterial pneumonia, not viral pneumonia. Covid19 produces viral pneumonia.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No. The flu jab is for some bacterial pneumonia, not viral pneumonia. Covid19 produces viral pneumonia.
I think that some (many?) patients are also developing bacterial pneumonia once their systems are weakened by COVID-19, and then have to be given antibiotics on top of the other treatments.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have two part-time jobs, one is zero hours, I have also been in touch with both employers regarding the Corona virus, one is a County council and no action was needed, so how can all of the people self isolate ? So I have done my utmost to inform them, to update them, I am always looking for recent updates, I have very good hygiene practice too and I'm trying my best to be safe, sensible, calm and level headed.
I do not want to get infected any more than anyone else !

I have said I realize for some it's very difficult. The fact is that a high proporton of people at particular risk are 'of a certain age.' Like me as it happens. I'm fortunate to be able to take time off, I'm trying to reign my wife in!
I can say this, anybody who rationalizes and makes informed choices is to be lauded. Too many are reckless.
There was a photo of 60k people at Cheltenham races yesterday. Frankly madness in my opinion.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pneumonia vaccine protects against one particular bacterium, Streptococcus pneumoniae. This is one of the most common causes of post-influenza pneumonia so you would expect the vaccine help protect against a post-Covid-19 infection with that particular bacterial species. However, pneumonia can be caused by other bacteria and it would offer no protection against them.

I may have misunderstood my doctor, but from memory, and does appear to verify In my on-line records, the shot I just got is a vaccine against 23 bacterial strains. Regardless, the pneumonia most common with COVID-19, is, obviously, viral and unrelated.

from everything I read on vaccines, if you have had influenza and/or pneumonia as usually would be indicated, getting them now can only help. You can get influenza, bacteria pneumonia and corona virus all at the same time.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Noted in above link.

With that in mind, and fully aware of the difficulties in getting masks, might the DIY version be a good alternative if we have to self isolate as that little extra protection for our loved ones while we are ill.

Kitchen roll, tissues,
Masking tape and some elastic .. Tested as 80-90 % as effective as a normal mask..

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soc...inas-face-mask-shortage-inspired-people-learn

Just a quick add.
I just made my first mask.
Improvised and added some wire.
I used some garden twine I beleive.
But sure wire for food would also work.
And simply placed making tape to the top edge to secure the wire either side.

First impression... Good.
With the wire for the bridge of the nose, and the elastic, it is a nice fit.

Breathable, and you can feel the mask move in and out around your mouth while you breathe, this is a most useable alternative, to help secure your families safety IF you unfortunately have to self isolate at any time.

As the authorities suggest we don't mask up in public as they are not effective, I would suggest for those who maybe want a bit of extra security, or as happened on Wuhan, no entry into shops if NOT wearing a mask.

I would happily wear one of these.

As said, readily sourced materials, definitely added safety IF used to protect others., Acceptable standard IF used in public.
With the added bonus, it MIGHT once accepted free up the masks for those who REALLY DO NEED THEM.

I would suggest, if making start soon.
And store in a large ziplock style food bag, for when needed.

Going to be making a few and keeping some for us, and some for my daughter's flat, just in case it's needed, later on.

EDIT: i ride a motorcycle and i'm pretty sure others may have similar style face masks,
on the premise that some protection is better then none, for those trips out further down the line
when this i way more difficult, i will be wearing mine DIY masks under my face mask.

THIS is what i mean
81szirmGIaL._SL1500_.jpg

already have some at home, various types, but these are my preferred style, and come the day when i need a mask, i doubt anyone is going to bat an eye lid if someone is taking things a little more cautiously.

small note, i went online to order some more. a few are out of stock and some only have limited stock available.
Could just be the Uber delivery guys stocking for a busy period serving those in isolation or clever marketing hype.

But if it was me, i'd buy sooner rather then later.

Stay safe all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debandez

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have said I realize for some it's very difficult. The fact is that a high proporton of people at particular risk are 'of a certain age.' Like me as it happens. I'm fortunate to be able to take time off, I'm trying to reign my wife in!
I can say this, anybody who rationalizes and makes informed choices is to be lauded. Too many are reckless.
There was a photo of 60k people at Cheltenham races yesterday. Frankly madness in my opinion.

At the very least, those of us who can stay home will, hopefully, reduce the chances that those who cannot will get the virus. Makes social distancing far easier when half the people on the planet are shut in their houses :)

I personally announced “work from home as much as you want” on Monday, and wandered out the door myself. All those Who report to me can work from home, so let’s hope they do. I feel fortune I can do so. But on a related note, when I stocked up on canned goods this weekend, I doubled my order and made a swing by the local food bank. Not everyone is as fortunate as I am.

Reactions: Jo_the_boat

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Human ingenuity at its finest, @jjraak

because I’ve been working on refinishing furniture for my screened porch, I’ve been working with oil-based SPAR varnish. So, coincidentally I have a small stock of R95 and P95 masks. I don’t need them, but I don’t think donating them to a local hospital would help just because they are wildly less comfortable than an N95 with respiratory vent. 1 hour in a P95 and you’re happy to tear it off your face.

rossh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perfect sense to me, @PenguinMum
A lot of this will be the worry, what better way to calm peoples nerves but to have the success stories out there Loud And Proud.

Not sure if this has been posted - but this guy has T1 and survived to tell the tale - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51858845

I know this is just one case and everyone is different, but it is good to see a positive outcome.

Reactions: urbanracer

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Human ingenuity at its finest, @jjraak

because I’ve been working on refinishing furniture for my screened porch, I’ve been working with oil-based SPAR varnish. So, coincidentally I have a small stock of R95 and P95 masks. I don’t need them, but I don’t think donating them to a local hospital would help just because they are wildly less comfortable than an N95 with respiratory vent. 1 hour in a P95 and you’re happy to tear it off your face.
indeed even the N95's are a nightmare apparently.

*have edited previous post

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure if this has been posted - but this guy has T1 and survived to tell the tale - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51858845

I know this is just one case and everyone is different, but it is good to see a positive outcome.
Thanks for posting that story. I think one of the guys on the Diamond Princess who was communicating daily with Good Morning Britain before being hospitalised was also diabetic.

Reactions: rossh

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing that I would really like to happen is if lots more people were able to be tested. In South Korea they set up efficient drive through testing and that could be done here after telephone screening of those with symptons (to prevent unnecessary hypochondriacs turning up). Without it I cant see any reliable infection figures.

Dark Horse

The flu jab protects against viral pneumonia due to influenza virus, not bacterial pneumonia. You are correct that neither the flu jab nor the pneumonia jab will protect against the viral pneumonia caused by Covid-19. However, patients who have had viral pneumonia are at risk of a secondary bacterial infection. A pneumonia jab may protect against one of the commonest causes of bacterial pneumonia.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a quick add.
I just made my first mask.
Improvised and added some wire.
I used some garden twine I beleive.
But sure wire for food would also work.
And simply placed making tape to the top edge to secure the wire either side.

First impression... Good.
With the wire for the bridge of the nose, and the elastic, it is a nice fit.

Breathable, and you can feel the mask move in and out around your mouth while you breathe, this is a most useable alternative, to help secure your families safety IF you unfortunately have to self isolate at any time.

As the authorities suggest we don't mask up in public as they are not effective, I would suggest for those who maybe want a bit of extra security, or as happened on Wuhan, no entry into shops if NOT wearing a mask.

I would happily wear one of these.

As said, readily sourced materials, definitely added safety IF used to protect others., Acceptable standard IF used in public.
With the added bonus, it MIGHT once accepted free up the masks for those who REALLY DO NEED THEM.

I would suggest, if making start soon.
And store in a large ziplock style food bag, for when needed.

Going to be making a few and keeping some for us, and some for my daughter's flat, just in case it's needed, later on.

EDIT: i ride a motorcycle and i'm pretty sure others may have similar style face masks,
on the premise that some protection is better then none, for those trips out further down the line
when this i way more difficult, i will be wearing mine DIY masks under my face mask.

THIS is what i mean
81szirmGIaL._SL1500_.jpg

already have some at home, various types, but these are my preferred style, and come the day when i need a mask, i doubt anyone is going to bat an eye lid if someone is taking things a little more cautiously.

small note, i went online to order some more. a few are out of stock and some only have limited stock available.
Could just be the Uber delivery guys stocking for a busy period serving those in isolation or clever marketing hype.

But if it was me, i'd buy sooner rather then later.

Stay safe all.

Thanks. I already had some of those. I bought them a couple of months ago, then I went and bought some more because I was wearing them each time I went out, and then putting them to wash each time I returned home.

I was tempted with some of the skeletal faces on some of them, but a 70 year old lady with a 4 wheel walker coming down the street in one of those with a skeleton face on, might scare the wotsit out of little children...

So reluctantly I ordered more conventional little old lady designs below.
68C2AF26-363A-40FE-89E3-5CA31C64BAF4.png

They must look okay on me because my friend wanted some for her birthday. So I got her a set too.

My theory about getting and using these, is then they don't bother or alarm anyone, and they haven't.

I have already tried a builder's dust mask under it, I still have some from 10 years ago when I did woodwork carving and worked on the machinery in the woodwork club. They were very unobtrusive, but I don't have many left. And that particular design wouldn't constitute a regular type mask if anyone wanted to check you were wearing one. I bought some more builders masks, but they are more bulky and I cannot wear them unobtrusively under this bandana type scarves above.

So I was looking to make some disposable ones @jjraak

Reactions: Winnie53

Dark Horse

I may have misunderstood my doctor, but from memory, and does appear to verify In my on-line records, the shot I just got is a vaccine against 23 bacterial strains. Regardless, the pneumonia most common with COVID-19, is, obviously, viral and unrelated.

from everything I read on vaccines, if you have had influenza and/or pneumonia as usually would be indicated, getting them now can only help. You can get influenza, bacteria pneumonia and corona virus all at the same time.
I don't disagree - they are all strains of a single bacterial species, Streptococcus pneumoniae.

lindisfel

Expert
Herd immunity:
It all depends on the transmissabilty of the disease?
80%-85% for Polio
90%-95% Measles
What is it for Covid19? Nobody has ask them as I recall, or have they? Do they know or have they just done a fag packet calculation?

It was mentioned 60% of the population may get it, its an awful lot of deaths for a suspect experiment.

My gut feeling is they are about as optimistic as the man who goes over the Niagara Falls in a barrel! :)

If its 80% of the population for immunity the Government are going to get a good bonus for the exchequer in unspent pension.
regards
Derek

Last edited:
Reactions: Barb McD and jjraak

lindisfel

Expert
Hi jjraak,
I was listening to a virologist from the States on the World Service last night. I dont sleep well at times.. She, I think a prof, said the doubling time in some countries indicated it was active in the early stages, although those with it, had no symptoms.

If that is the case, the Government plans for self isolation, which wont work anyway for a mild attack, are unlikely to be successful.
Derek

spotted this explaining exponential growth, for those curious
but it also gives the doubling time per country, very illuminating

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus#growth-country-by-country-view

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Herd immunity:
It all depends on the transmissabilty of the disease?
80%-85% for Polio
90%-95% Measles
What is it for Covid19? Nobody has ask them as I recall, or have they? Do they know or have they just done a fag packet calculation?

It was mentioned 60% of the population may get it, its an awful lot of deaths for a suspect experiment.

My gut feeling is they are about as optimistic as the man who goes over the Niagara Falls in a barrel! :)

If its 80% of the population for immunity the Government are going to get a good bonus for the exchequer in unspent pension.
regards
Derek
Those figures for herd immunity are to maintain complete absence of the disease. We are starting to see measles come back because of the MMR scare and less than 90% of children were vaccinated. Even some herd immunity will help as it means there are less people to pass it on.