Corona virus

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Going with the attitude of not being afraid of catching it as I’m only 46 and will keep my type 1 under control if I get ill, The health care professionals will be required for people with a greater need, I know it’s easy to say but I find a positive attitude helps myself
No point in being afraid.
I'm late 60's with numerous health issues.
I'm not worrying but I am taking precautions.
I think millions are going to die with this and many countries will be going bust as will many businesses .... not a lot of anything can survive where we're headed.

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
No point in being afraid.
I'm late 60's with numerous health issues.
I'm not worrying but I am taking precautions.
I think millions are going to die with this and many countries will be going bust as will many businesses .... not a lot of anything can survive where we're headed.

I think the hope is the vast majority will range from mild to a couple of days in bed, Those in the higher risk categories will be where most complications and deaths will arise and we need to realise the sorrow to come . All following one set of instructions may make a massive difference in the way the country handles this

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Wierdness abounds.

Whilst the UK government seems to think it's a good idea (amidst growing citicism and at odds with every other country) to sacrifice 2% of the infected population, my employer is taking a different approach.

After a couple of confusing company wide e-mails my manager comes around and tells everybody to go home for 2 weeks and not to come to the office unless absolutely neccessary. It feels strange that in a company where over 700 people are employed in the UK, (and from a purely statistical viewpoint), some of them will not be coming back. Maybe I'll be one of them, who knows.

Am I alone in thinking that I would just like to contract this virus now and get it out the way whatever the outcome? Maybe I am carrying it already and have no idea which is also an odd feeling.

On a more practical note, I have no idea how this is going to pan out, it's not exactly easy for an engineer to set up shop in one's living room.

Last edited:

MollieB

The EU (which doesn't include the corona ridden UK) - which is ridiculous.

I didn't think the UK had it as "severely" yet (All though, it seems to be climbing).

Furthermore, American citizens, residents and their family members are free to go to the States from anywhere in Europe, which again, in terms of spreading a virus is completely ridiculous

I think the everybody is trying to get "visitors" back to where they belong. (Though it does seem to defeat the purpose).

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
Wierdness abounds.

Whilst the UK government seems to think it's a good idea (amidst growing citicism and at odds with every other country) to sacrifice 2% of the population, my employer is taking a different approach.

After a couple of confusing company wide e-mails my manager comes around and tells everybody to go home for 2 weeks and not to come to the office unless absolutely neccessary. It feels strange that in a company where over 700 people are employed in the UK, (and from a purely statistical viewpoint), some of them will not be coming back. Maybe I'll be one of them, who knows.

Am I alone in thinking that I would just like to contract this virus now and get it out the way whatever the outcome? Maybe I am carrying it already and have no idea which is also an odd feeling.

On a more practical note, I have no idea how this is going to pan out, it's not exactly easy for an engineer to set up shop in one's living room.

I don’t think anyone’s suggesting anything close to 2% of the population, maybe 2% of males over 80 years old that smoke, but really I have absolutely no idea so I’m going to do my best to listen to those who do

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I don’t think anyone’s suggesting anything close to 2% of the population, maybe 2% of males over 80 years old that smoke, but really I have absolutely no idea so I’m going to do my best to listen to those who do

Sorry - I've changed it to "infected population" which is the mortality rate in every country that has it apart from Italy which is much higher (6%) due to the demographics you've mentioned. Our Chief Medical Officer, Sir Chris Whitty has gone on record stating it will be closer to 1% but it's all guesswork at this point.

"Chris Whitty, the chief medical officer, said that worst-case scenario planning projected that 80% of the country would contract the virus, with a 1% mortality rate. This equates to more than 500,000 deaths."

Please see this link.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-10000-in-britain-may-already-have-it-says-pm

Last edited:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Sorry - I've changed it to "infected population" which is the mortality rate in every country that has it apart from Italy which is much higher (6%) due to the demographics you've mentioned. Our Chief Medical Officer, Sir Chris Whitty has gone on record stating it will be closer to 1% but it's all guesswork at this point.

"Chris Whitty, the chief medical officer, said that worst-case scenario planning projected that 80% of the country would contract the virus, with a 1% mortality rate. This equates to more than 500,000 deaths."

Please see this link.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-10000-in-britain-may-already-have-it-says-pm
That 1% equates to millions dead around the world.
I think we're in Spanish flu territory here and I don't see any airlines surviving this or much of any other business either.
I also see foreign troops being pulled back home for two reasons .... to protect their own governments at home and because keeping supply lines going to sick armies is going to be near impossible.
Imagine one crew member on a warship going down with it ... one crew member on a submarine going down with it!
But troops in bases and in the field around the world going sick as they will will be very very difficult to sustain.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That 1% equates to millions dead around the world.
I think we're in Spanish flu territory here and I don't see any airlines surviving this or much of any other business either.
I also see foreign troops being pulled back home for two reasons .... to protect their own governments at home and because keeping supply lines going to sick armies is going to be near impossible.
Imagine one crew member on a warship going down with it ... one crew member on a submarine going down with it!
But troops in bases and in the field around the world going sick as they will will be very very difficult to sustain.

Maybe, but my issue is that other governments seem to be making plans to prevent it's spread, thereby trying to limit the headline numbers of fatalities even though this may turn out to be a futile exercise. But our government on the other hand seems to be accepting this number of fatalities, is not trying to prevent it and is only trying to reduce the rate of infection and not the number of people being infected.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Maybe, but my issue is that other governments seem to be making plans to prevent it's spread, thereby trying to limit the headline numbers of fatalities even though this may turn out to be a futile exercise. But our government on the other hand seems to be accepting this number of fatalities, is not trying to prevent it and is only trying to reduce the rate of infection and not the number of people being infected.
Yes it seems a strange tactic but Europe is far worse off than us for all their tactics.
I'm told ours is to allow younger healthier people who should esily survive to get some immunity into the population .... if that makes sense I know not.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
America just declared national emergency .... how long before they start returning their troops to home ground from all over the world/

Reactions: jjraak

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.

Just came across this .......

Mass gatherings WILL be banned from next weekend in dramatic government U-turn: Boris Johnson rushes through emergency action as coronavirus crisis escalates with Glastonbury, Chelsea Flower Show, Wimbledon and Grand National under threat - but schools will still stay open
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...anned-weekend-dramatic-government-U-turn.html

Reactions: urbanracer

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Can we keep this thread on track please? We’re talking about the potential impact on type one.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can we keep this thread on track please? We’re talking about the potential impact on type one.

Pssst, there is a variety of other vulnerable members of our society other than T1s.. ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

Y
Pssst, there is a veraity of other vulnerable members of our society other than T1s.. ;)
Yes, the corona virus is equal opportunity it does not point the fickle finger of fate selectively.

I read this morning one in four people are going to be infected with it in Australia...

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Pssst, there is a variety of other vulnerable members of our society other than T1s.. ;)
There are indeed. And several other threads about the virus in the discussions and T2 areas. This one was placed in the T1 section of the forum so I stupidly thought it might be the place to discuss it in regard to the effects on type one, a completely different condition.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are indeed. And several other threads about the virus in the discussions and T2 areas. This one was placed in the T1 section of the forum so I stupidly thought it might be the place to discuss it in regard to the effects on type one, a completely different condition.

If one is likely to join the "corona club" all you have to be is the wrong place at the wrong time on the "daisy chain" from patient zero.. It has no devisive agenda..

Last time I looked at the forum rules regarding the topic.

"B, 6. Type 1s may post on Type 2 topics, and vice versa (and applicable to other diabetes types and groups), where they have something relevant and helpful to contribute. When cross-posting, particular care must be given to ensure your content is relevant to the topic and original poster (OP). This is particularly important when dealing with newly diagnosed individuals who may be unable to differentiate for themselves. The concerns of people with Type 1 diabetes may be very different to people with Type 2 diabetes."

However, including non-Ds. we are in this "one" together...

Last edited:
Reactions: urbanracer

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Back from the shopping trip, we got everything we needed but had to go to 2 supermarkets and convenience store to get all the food on our list.

So noticed that it was harder than last week and may well be even more difficult this time next week.

Noticed though that in my local Sainsbury's, the collection point for food bank stuff was overflowing.

Amidst all the stockpiling, there is hope.

Last edited:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just came across this .......

Mass gatherings WILL be banned from next weekend in dramatic government U-turn: Boris Johnson rushes through emergency action as coronavirus crisis escalates with Glastonbury, Chelsea Flower Show, Wimbledon and Grand National under threat - but schools will still stay open
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...anned-weekend-dramatic-government-U-turn.html
Could you please decide just what your stance is please.
Here you are quoting an article from the Daily Mail yet on another thread your are informing us of your reliable information and not BBC FAUX news , The Guardian, The Mail etc.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Please see this link.

Which is about twice the "usual" number of deaths annually in England and Wales
Screenshot 2020-03-14 at 18.33.49.png

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm avoiding the supermarket weekend crowds. I've ordered groceries, including loo paper through Ocado for Thursday night this week.

Reactions: kev-w

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could you please decide just what your stance is please.
Here you are quoting an article from the Daily Mail yet on another thread your are informing us of your reliable information and not BBC FAUX news , The Guardian, The Mail etc.

Yeah... I have to admit. The daily mail innit. ;)

Here's what seems to be comming from the "horse's mouth..?"