Going really low straight after tea bolus not sure why

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
For the last week I’ve been going low 3’s about half an hour after tea, nothings altered I weigh out my carbs so that’s all accurate just suddenly started doing it any suggestions what it could be? Tonight’s example bs at tea time 4.8 bolus of 10 at tea didn’t split the dose this time to see if any different but now 45 mins later I’m at 3.4.

This has been happening the last week, any ideas what it could be

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
could be your basal needs have changed, could be your bolus ratio has changed, I started experiencing the same a few weeks ago and have had to alter my ratio for only my tea xx

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I agree with @kaylz1, those ratios can change, and they can also vary by time of day. Why not decrease your tea time dose a bit and see what happens?

Edited to add - just noticed you are in the insulin pump forum. My advice is useless for thias as I'm not on a pump. Good luck anyway.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its not easy to offer good advice as it also depends upon the carb type your eating, its rate of absorption, insulin taken and how/when its administered, time of year then your health too as well as exercise taken before the meal.

Slowly acting carbs will make you go lower after meals, faster acting make you go higher. Also the time you take your insulin before the meal as well as the amount take at that time and if any is also taken as part of a multiwave bolus.

Also at this time of year (spring) as well as later in the year (autumn) there are some of us whose bodies insulin needs seem to change either going up or going down.

There is also health impact, are you well ?, then diabetes control have you been going lower earlier in the day (is this a lower part of a rebound wave).

Diabetes is flipping complicated for all of us to manage and sometimes we don't give ourselves credit for the number of balls we have in the air at any one time to control it.

My suggestion is to try one at a time (for a few days) - the choice is yours, I personally would start with looking at the carb type first (leaving the insulin same) then if this does not fix it after few days then look at insulin dosage and how much plus when its administered.

Last edited: