How to replace breadcrumbs and flour in meatball recipes?

srm100841

Thank you all!
for letting me know the high-carb breadcrumbs and flour can be left out. I Googled and found 2 very similar Meatball Base Recipes. Will try one of these.
4 servings:

800g beef mince (or mixed beef 70% pork 30%)
half onion, finely chopped
half tsp salt
1 egg
50ml cream
half tsp white pepper
butter for frying

1kg beef mince (or mixed beef 70% pork 30%)
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 egg
1.5 tbsp mustard, coarse-grain and/or strong
2-3 tsp salt
black pepper (freshly ground best)
oil for frying

It is possible to add thyme, oregano, feta/normal cheese, parmesan, chilli, coriander etc to the mix too.

Instead of breadcrumbs or flour I use fine almond flour. This works really well for my taste.

Reactions: AloeSvea

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi, probably easier to follow the Oven tutorial, this one.
If I am not not using the bread machine to bake the bread I have the oven at 180/ 200c and bake for 35 mins.
I now mainly use my bread machine just to do the mixing and rising for the dough then bake in the oven as I can get a longer loaf.
The recipe also works really well for making pizza bases and baguettes.
I think the bread machine has been my best buy ever :)

Thank you sooooo much for that and the awesome video. As soon as I buy the gluten flour I will have a go. The Oat fibre is very expensive so I will use your suggestion of chia /flaxseed

I make a chia and quinoa bread but this one has got to be far lower carbs . At the moment I am having 2 Atkins crispbread at lunch which are very low carbs. Have had a heavy cold and my BS went up as usual (fasting well over 7) and it is just going back down again (fasting 6.4) !! Other than that my carbs are homemade muesli in the morning and fruit with lunch and evening meal. I rarely need to snack and if I do it is full fat cheese or nuts/nut butter. I do eat a square or 2 of 90-100% chocolate a day!!

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, Herr Svea and I are having fun following up the history and 'real'ness of Swedish meatballs, this fine summer Saturday morning in the southern hemisphere.

The recipe was taken from Turkey, in the early 1800s. Swedes have had to deal with famines and horticultural problems the same as all horticultural folks, and would have used breadcrumbs merely to 'plump' it up, and make it go further, which is a classic use of high-carb food globally, such as potatoes, pasta, rice, noodles, and bread, as we with blood glucose problems know all too well.

We make our Swedish meatballs with meat, onion, egg, and spices, and a bit of cream. And you know - Herr Svea is the real thing :).

Want to see the role of meat in Sweden? The wonderful, and depressing (of course!) movie 'The Ox'.

Makes me very grateful for the ease of eating dead cow in my own country.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
Do they sell pork rinds in the UK?

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I don't just bread or flour or eggs in meatballs - just mix the meat well with herbs/spices/seasoning and squeeze it well before rolling so it keeps its shape.

Other than that, a small amount of coconut flour or milled flaxseed works well in place of flour to thicken or bind food. And you can roll things in ground almonds or coconut flour before frying.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
We have the unusually British name, Pork Scratchings, here.
(And no, I don't know why!)

They may help with the texture of adding breadcrumbs, without the carbs of breadcrumbs.