Corona virus

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm getting my insulin and other sundries scripts in on Monday, a couple of things are a little early but it'll be right, I feel sorry for the oldies who go to their local shops a couple of times of the week as the panic buying is an overreaction and the supermarket shelves are often bare, brown basmati rice appears unpopular though, so I bought a couple of kilo instead of my usual one, fresh broccoli and spinach seem to holding their place on the shelves so hopefully we'll stay fat for veg :)

I keep forgetting to get some wholemeal flour though :banghead:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Could you please decide just what your stance is please.
Here you are quoting an article from the Daily Mail yet on another thread your are informing us of your reliable information and not BBC FAUX news , The Guardian, The Mail etc.
It should be pretty clear I use all media available and make my decisions and choices .... The BBC etc are renowned for false news but they don't lie all the time.
Instead of trying to score points actually discuss the topic and the topic isn't me.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It should be pretty clear I use all media available and make my decisions and choices .... The BBC etc are renowned for false news but they don't lie all the time.
Instead of trying to score points actually discuss the topic and the topic isn't me.
I’m not trying to score points, just get some clarity on your posts.
As for on topic.....a type1 posting in the type 1 sub forum asking other type 1’s what their concerns are regarding Covid 19.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I’m not trying to score points, just get some clarity on your posts.
As for on topic.....a type1 posting in the type 1 sub forum asking other type 1’s what their concerns are regarding Covid 19.
I think you typ0ed that out wrong.
I have no idea what section I'm in most of the time .... shoot me.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am I alone in thinking that I would just like to contract this virus now and get it out the way whatever the outcome? Maybe I am carrying it already and have no idea which is also an odd feeling.
Not at all. I have an acquaintance just released from hospital after positive results and some manageable symptoms. I am actually quite envious. For her the worry and stress of “will I catch it, how bad will it be, will I die, do I need to self isolate and avoid people” is all over with already. She now just has to deal with the practicalities of finding loo roll.
To have caught it early when the nhs was still able to cope and fully focus on her care is a luxury many of us will not get. I said whilst it was still in China maybe we should deliberately expose ourselves early for just that reason. I’m now convinced that time has passed though.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve finally told my crewmates I’m T1 because they hadn’t spotted it - we were talking about our own personal risk factors on the way to a ?CV19 patient. Two of us have asthma, one is over 60, and obviously I’m blessed with a twitchy immune system. That hates me. So now we’ve got hazmat onesies :D

johen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
TBH, I am fed up of the platitudes ALL of the advice out there is for those without pre existing medical conditions or elderly. The government seem to want the herd immunity but who are the collateral damage? (All of us probably) so YES I am scared stiff especially as being T1 and I always get asthma when I get a cold or virus. I have paracetamol, in halers at the ready, wash hands, Happy Birthday and all that, but I am still petrified. I am self employed so no money coming in if I protect myself properly....no SSP, not even the £94 (that'd be GREAT for me) "But hey guys don't worry it's only those with pre existing medical conditions or the elderly that could die. What is the PM hoping for? A cull so that the NHS wont cost as much????? :arghh::arghh::arghh:

Last edited:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
The reality is despite all other diseases and ailments there is a killer out there on the loose and that killer is growing very rapidly like a black cloud across the planet with no known way of stopping it.
All the experts agree it's going to kill millions and destroy economies.
The odds of me surviving this are slim.
I've survived flu and a number of other things but this may well be my goodbye as it will be for millions.
I have attitude .... will it be enough?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The reality is despite all other diseases and ailments there is a killer out there on the loose and that killer is growing very rapidly like a black cloud across the planet with no known way of stopping it.
I've survived flu and a number of other things but this may well be my goodbye as it will be for millions.
Keep a copy of the DAFNE sick day rules and make sure you have a way to measure ketones etc. That’s the best way for us to weather this. Watching blood sugars like a hawk if we do get the virus and doing all we can on the insulin front to avoid a DKA. Good diabetes control is the best way to minimise our risks.

johen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@JTL strangely I have the same thoughts and voiced these to my OH the other day; this may be it for me. This morning, BBC news says there is likely to be a "stay at home" directive for the elderly and vulnerable. With my OH working in London and travelling on public ransport, I dont fancy his chances. His wife (me) and his mother (age 84) live 35 miles apart; he's going to be run off his feet. If he gets it we will all struggle.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

There is a known way of stopping it and it's very simple. If a virus cannot spread then it dies. Isolation and social distancing works as was demonstrated by the Chinese.

Thankfully many people and companies in the UK are not listening to the advice from our government and are now isolating themselves and their families.

Put a slightly different spin on the whole situation. Don't act as though you are trying to avoid getting the virus. Act as though you already have it and you are trying to avoid giving it to others.

Isolation will see us through.

Reactions: EllieM and JTL

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@JTL strangely I have the same thoughts and voiced these to my OH the other day; this may be it for me. This morning, BBC news says there is likely to be a "stay at home" directive for the elderly and vulnerable. With my OH working in London and travelling on public ransport, I dont fancy his chances. His wife (me) and his mother (age 84) live 35 miles apart; he's going to be run off his feet. If he gets it we will all struggle.

I don't know what your OH does for a living but I have been sent home for 2 weeks with instructions not to go to the office unless absolutely necessary.

Currently I am planning to go to the office for 1 day for a pre-planned activity the week after next. But I would not be surprised if it gets cancelled as the infection rate will be peaking around then.

Can your OH work from home? If so, his employer should be more proactive, not just to show a duty of care to an employee but also to ensure long term business continuity.

johen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know what your OH does for a living but I have been sent home for 2 weeks with instructions not to go to the office unless absolutely necessary.

Currently I am planning to go to the office for 1 day for a pre-planned activity the week after next. But I would not be surprised if it gets cancelled as the infection rate will be peaking around then.

Can your OH work from home? If so, his employer should be more proactive, not just to show a duty of care to an employee but also to ensure long term business continuity.

@urbanracer He works on the Underground!! Some of it is out and about but his boss let him stay in one of the offices last night. but if there had been an incident he would have had to go out especially with Nighttube running. He is being careful, wearing disposable gloves on his commute etc etc but I am scared. He will be ok if he gets it but bringing it home to me or his mum won't be ok. :-(

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@urbanracer He works on the Underground!! Some of it is out and about but his boss let him stay in one of the offices last night. but if there had been an incident he would have had to go out especially with Nighttube running. He is being careful, wearing disposable gloves on his commute etc etc but I am scared. He will be ok if he gets it but bringing it home to me or his mum won't be ok. :-(

Well my wife is a nurse in a nursing home and she is understandably stressed about the situation.

Historically, she brings home every bug and virus that is doing the rounds and gives it to me. So I've kinda resigned myself to the idea that Covid is coming for me - especially with the long incubation period making it difficult to detect.

The nursing home has contacted all relatives of residents and informed them that the doors will effectively be closed from midnight (or more likely when the night shift starts at 8pm) with no visitors allowed until further notice.

This will at least give them a fighting chance but of course it's difficult to control agency staff which is one of their biggest worries, at least in terms of controlling the spread.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Wouldn't it be ironic if Trump was brought down by a virus from China named after a Mexican beer.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not at all. I have an acquaintance just released from hospital after positive results and some manageable symptoms. I am actually quite envious. For her the worry and stress of “will I catch it, how bad will it be, will I die, do I need to self isolate and avoid people” is all over with already. She now just has to deal with the practicalities of finding loo roll..
. There is still no scientific consensus on whether you are immune once you catch it; some people have got it a second time.

mouseee

. There is still no scientific consensus on whether you are immune once you catch it; some people have got it a second time.
That's true, but as only hospitalised patients WITH symptoms are being tested we'll never know who has or hasnt got it except that very limited and slightly squewed group of patients.

And I know that as my mum is in hospital and has been in a bay with a positive patient!