Diabetes and Citalopram??

Alison204

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello all,

Am Type 1 diabetic, since 2007, on insulin pump for last 1.5 years.

Just started 10mg Citalopram for anxiety & panic attacks. Only been on it a week (takes around 4 weeks to take full effect) but one of the side effects of citalopram can be a 'tingling sensation'.

I've been getting this, (luckily only at night time!), feels exactly like a bad hypo (tingly, feeling weak etc) but when I test blood sugar they're fine.

Just wondered if anyone else has diabetes and has been on this medication and if they've experienced similar?

Many thanks
Alison

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I'm T2 and have been taking citalopram for almost 2 years. I had the tingling/weak sensation and also felt really quite ill for the first week or so, headaches, sweats, shaking. I was ravenously hungry for a while at first too. I started on 20 mg, went up to 40mg and am now back to 20mg.

Alison204

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok thanks you!

It feels exactly like a hypo so it can be quite confusing, luckily it's only during the night and not throughout the day so I should be grateful for that at least I guess! Thank you for replying x

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I've never had a hypo (I'm one of those T2's who don't get them) so I wouldn't know, I would say it's like feeling washed out and tired and ill. My GP warned me I would feel pretty awful for a week or so, but to try to stick with it.

Alison204

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I will, thank you. I've been reading on forums where hundreds of other people on Citalopram and who have panic attacks have described all the symptoms I've had (and some I haven't thankfully) so it's reassuring to know it's not just me. Have a GP follow up appt tmrw too.
Thank you :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I will, thank you. I've been reading on forums where hundreds of other people on Citalopram and who have panic attacks have described all the symptoms I've had (and some I haven't thankfully) so it's reassuring to know it's not just me. Have a GP follow up appt tmrw too.
Thank you :)
Good, I was a bit concerned that you may actually have been having hypos at night, and I didn't want to be misleading you with my experience as I'm T2 and may have reacted differently. I'm glad you're going to the GP. :) Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.:)

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I'm on 10mg of citalopram and I don't get any side effects.

ha668y

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been on Citalopram 20mg for 3 wks now and some of the side effects I am having is numbness in my fingers in one hand feeling agitated and my sugar levels are higher causing headaches, I dont feel that my anxiety has lessened any maybe its to soon for that I have a follow up appointment this week so will find out if they are the right medication for me

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I used to take citalopram before having diabetes and weened myself off them that was a few years ago now ....the Doctor tried to give me again but I found they did not go well with my Diabetic medication so decided not to take them

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on Citalopram 20mg for 3 wks now and some of the side effects I am having is numbness in my fingers in one hand feeling agitated and my sugar levels are higher causing headaches, I dont feel that my anxiety has lessened any maybe its to soon for that I have a follow up appointment this week so will find out if they are the right medication for me
Are you having counselling too? Have the symptoms lessened now?

mouseee

I've just been prescribed 10mg, but am yet to start taking it. When do you take yours? Where my job needs me to be on form I can't be feeling out of sorts in the day
I've taken it for ages on and off. 10mg didn't make me feel bad in anyway. Even to start with although I remember being warned it might.
I take mine when I get up in the morning.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I take 20mg at night. If I take it in the morning I get the god awful side effect of dry mouth. But then taking it at night I get the other god awful side effect of insomnia so either way I cannot win. I also seem to have restless legs due to citalopram. Unfortunately due to my epilepsy though it’s one of the only depression medications I’m allowed to take.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Hello all,

Am Type 1 diabetic, since 2007, on insulin pump for last 1.5 years.

Just started 10mg Citalopram for anxiety & panic attacks. Only been on it a week (takes around 4 weeks to take full effect) but one of the side effects of citalopram can be a 'tingling sensation'.

I've been getting this, (luckily only at night time!), feels exactly like a bad hypo (tingly, feeling weak etc) but when I test blood sugar they're fine.

Just wondered if anyone else has diabetes and has been on this medication and if they've experienced similar?

Many thanks
Alison
Hi. I've been on Escitalopram for about 10 years and tolerate it well. Escitalopram is the chiral form of Citalopram, so it is the same chemical, but a different shaped molecule. It is often prescribed for depression where anxiety is marked.
If you find it difficult to persist with Citalopram, you could ask your GP about Escitalopram.