COVID 19 - >70s - younger people with certain health conditions - remain at home

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope this does not inc diabetics, I'll go mad in the house.

'Over-70s - and younger people with certain health conditions - will be told they must remain at home and have groceries and vital medication delivered.'

Full link here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51895873

CliveT1

I wish they could be a little more specific on ‘certain health conditions’.

We all know Diabetes means higher risk, but what if you’re well controlled, under 60 and no other complications. Or conversely, what are the key factors, conditions alongside introducing higher risks?

I’m sure we can work out the higher risks on top, just would be really helpful if the diabetes community could understand more context around the elements of individual risk to help personal decision making.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And just to point out, that is not actually a current recommendation from the government yet. That may change obviously.

Reactions: smc4761 and kev-w

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope this does not inc diabetics, I'll go mad in the house.

'Over-70s - and younger people with certain health conditions - will be told they must remain at home and have groceries and vital medication delivered.'

Full link here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51895873
My understanding is that they are trying to deter the more vulnerable people from being in crowded high risk places.
Supermarkets, shopping areas, GP surgeries.
Going out for a walk down the street, to a local park or similar should be fine.
Obviously I could be wrong. Everyone seems to be interpreting things differently at the moment.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We don't know if this will be compulsory ,and will we be thrown into the clink if we step out of the door .Will there be a policeman at every street corner watching for naughty pensioners legging it down the road on their zimmers I only asked!!!:)
Carol

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We don't know if this will be compulsory ,and will we be thrown into the clink if we step out of the door .Will there be a policeman at every street corner watching for naughty pensioners legging it down the road on their zimmers I only asked!!!:)
Carol

or keeping a keen eye on anyone with a suspicious white round disc attached to their arm. :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I expect when/if these measures come into force, the details will be made clear.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some countries are using drones for surveillance.

These "drones" didn't look like this, did they?

image.jpeg

These sightings arn't just birds???

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I think they’re trying to prevent a total meltdown of the NHS, but after years of underfunding they haven’t a hope of bringing it up to capacity in time. It’s as vague as everything else the govt have said in response to Corvid19.
When the ordure hits the proverbial they’ll say they told us to take preventative action so it’s our fault.
I think we need to think for ourselves. I for one will be limiting contacts, avoiding crowded places etc. The blood sugar mayhem in response to infection isn’t good, and raised blood sugars, I read, deplete the efficacy of the immune system.

viv k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found this article interesting
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/926418
It is from the USA and meant for doctors, but it seems that there is still a lot that isn't known. Apparently no one has crunched the numbers on serious outcomes and fatalities on diabetic patients. As usual type 1 and type 2 lumped together. Were they well controlled or not? Did they have kidney damage from their diabetes? What about cardiovascular health?
So much we don't know. And may not know for some time.
So surely best to error on the side of caution and do whatever possible to avoid catching it.
From here in New Zealand, where I can't go to Walmart and buy extra insulin, I am worried about insulin supplies as the year goes on. I'm going back to a much lower carb diet to stretch out my supply as long as possible. Cutting back on treats, no more early hot cross buns, darn it!