DVLA 3 year medical licence type 1 insulin

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
I’ve had a letter from DVLA this morning, saying I’ll need to return my current licence for a 3 year medical review licence, as I now take insulin.
Is this the standard practice? After 3 years will they review and then issue another 3 year medical review licence?
Many thanks for any advice or your change of licence stories.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is this the standard practice? After 3 years will they review and then issue another 3 year medical review licence?
Yes, it's standard practice when on insulin , I've never had a license lasting more than 3 years, they automatically send you the relevant stuff when its due for renewal.

If you want to driver bigger vehicles it goes to 1 year renewals I believe.

Reactions: Rose22

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
I’ve had a letter from DVLA this morning, saying I’ll need to return my current licence for a 3 year medical review licence, as I now take insulin.

Hi,

Yep it's standard. The longest they give is 3 years.
Unless they also tell you, you need to renew the photo ID part.? There's no need to to actually send the old one back. (I never do anyway.)
Just an updated passport photo.

Just complete the DIAB1 form & send it back to the DVLA. You should not be charged for this procedure.

Reactions: Rose22

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks so much for the useful replies. Will find my paper part (hmm I know it’s in a drawer somewhere?) and return along with the card.
Good to know it’s all standard procedure and I’ll be now looking at this every 3 years going forward.
On the plus side it’s actually a sunny day for a rare change, so I am happy walking today!

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I’m sure I renewed mine on line including pic .i might be wrong the old memory is a tad sketchy at times might have been my disabled badge. Good thing about having one very 3 years is your pic is relatively up to date , my mate has a pic on his could be someone else’s he’s changed that much

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Yes its normal... i have hgv so mine only lasts 12 months

Its no real biggie though the last time I did it before hgv you self certify and it gets renewed..

With hgv a lot of hoops to jump through