Covid 19 - are we in high risk?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I don't work regularly - this is a one-off voluntary thing for a kid's practical musical exam and I'm sure my GP has enough on his plate at the moment. I thought here was a more sensible place to ask. I've now made contact with the school explaining my position but without actually saying that I won't do it. I'm awaiting a response.

Thanks all for the responses.

You could ask for a telephone consultation, my son did that today and the GP was so helpful and explained so much to him.

Reactions: jjraak
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I've been in touch with my doctor last week and he said we are vulnerable. I am signed off to work from home until the end of the month. After the update today I will assume I have to stay in for 12 weeks. Better safe than sorry. Plus my Hba1c is rubbish at 74, so I am probably higher risk.

If I could work at home I would do it, but unfortunately in both my jobs, I can't.
Take care

Reactions: jjraak

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its all very well saying self isolate etc, but on a practical side, how are people going to get food, prescriptions etc.

Who exactly are vulnerable groups, type 1 yes, type 2 ?? high blood pressure.

It is all so vague

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
If we all end up in self isolation in all the affected countries their hospitals in 9 months time will have a baby boom on their hands:dummy::dummy1:
Probably why the suggest sleeping in separate rooms

lindisfel

Expert
When I have to go to shop once a week I expect someone to come up behind me and a loud voice say, "What are you doing out!"
:)

Cdean8780

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So just been diagnosed t2, so my sugars are not yet under control as I don’t have my first appointment with docs till Tues and diabetic nurse a week on Thurs. I have started low carb and low sugar but it will take a while to get them under control. Does this mean that I will be in the at risk group and have to self isolate?? Maybe nobody knows but thought I would ask!
I work at a hospital, and I am on the frontline as deep clean/rapid response so I have to face suspected covid 19. And also patients are on wards with suspected covid 19. Should I be staying at home as a type 2 diabetic(mostly under control but with hypertension).

Panicking and my managers have said in past type 2 isnt as severe as type 1 etc.

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
I believe the advice is that diabetics are at risk for the same reasons as people over 70. That is, less effective immune systems, which mean you take longer to recover from illness and therefore may get a more severe case. The kicker seems to be co morbidities.
Many old people have health problems but the dangerous ones here are heart and lung disorders, including high blood pressure. Diabetics who are healthy and do not have these issues are safer than diabetics who have complications affecting their hearts and lungs.
Personally, if I were in London and had high blood pressure in addition to my diabetes, at this point I would withdraw from unnecessary social contact, we are told London is two weeks ahead of the rest of the UK, and the UK has had a delayed start on this.

Cdean8780

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I got type 2 and high blood pressure (tablets taken for both) government need to put it in black n white. Not say be stringent what's that

Cdean8780

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is this for real

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200320-184122_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200320-184122_Chrome.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 404

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I believe it to be correct. Some 1.7 million at risk people will be mandated to safeguard in place by letter expected to arrive this Monday. This will be the over 70's especially those with a chronic illness. or survivors of a CVE. Note that this will probably be a stronger requirement than has been given so far, i.e. may be a legally backed isolation.

I note that the scientists are now requesting that the age range be dropped to include the 60 somethings too.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Everyone needs to take care because everyone is at risk. It really doesn't matter if you're 60 or 70, type 1 or 2.