Corona virus

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Forums going to get busy with every diabetic sat at home online next week!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 99312

So we are supposed to stay at home for the next 12 weeks then... that would be easier if the supermarket earlier had much stuff left rather than looking like Venezuela on a bad day. The government needs to put a rocket up the backside of the supermarkets to get their act together.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
So we are supposed to stay at home for the next 12 weeks then... that would be easier if the supermarket earlier had much stuff left rather than looking like Venezuela on a bad day. The government needs to put a rocket up the backside of the supermarkets to get their act together.
Possibly 16 weeks!
It isn't going to be easy.
Me and missus JTL have been discussing going into lockdown for a week now and have started cutting contact with people and explaining that by the weekend we'll be gone inside and not coming out or opening the door.
The hardest part is kids and grandchildren.
It might well be enforced by the weekend too.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
We are reasonably well stocked as we stocked up like we do for winter every year in case of getting iced or snowed in frozen water supply coal logs bottled gas .... only the village idiot around here will be walking around asking for a toilet roll and a bucket of coal because he didn't prepare.
This year almost no snow no ice so our winter stock becomes virus stock.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
only the village idiot around here will be walking around asking for a toilet roll and a bucket of coal because he didn't prepare.
This year almost no snow no ice so our winter stock becomes virus stock.

sure they'll have company due to people listening to empty headed
"it's just FLU.. fo*als"......*seems word is offensive..(sorry)

Months of TV coverage, Newspapers , night after night and only NOW
do people look up, and Go "OH"

:banghead:

Last edited:
Reactions: JTL

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** doctors. Airport travel.
A little later on, my son has been told by his employer not to go in to work for 4 weeks, but to keep in contact in case of any changes. He went online and apparently he will be entitled to £97 per week, to be paid straight away ( he laughed at this) but he will look into it, at the moment he is ahead with his bills and has plenty of provisions in.

It's interesting how some private employers have taken it upon themselves to 'do the right thing'.

At the other end of the spectrum, I was in contact with someone today (that has a chronic long term condition and is currently self isolating even more than usual) that has been given 2 days notice to attend a 'fit for work interview' at a DWP office
The first time she has been contacted in 3 years and at this time. I asked if it was some kind of Tory joke. But no. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
For those self- isolaters that aren't habitual bog roll eaters and hence haven't bought enough to stock to last the year. How are you going about your food orders?
I was reading the diary about the Type 1 diabetic that had (has) coronavirus and he mentioned that some supermarkets wouldn't deliver to anyone that was self -isolating.

I was just wondering which supermarkets are the awkward ones.

I did get an email from Morrisons about this - they seem to be on the ball at least. They said that if you make a note on your order that you are 'self isolating' they can leave the shopping on your door step and phone you to let you know when it's there. Which is pretty cool i guess.

I'm not sure about Tesco though. They may be one of the awkward ones. I know for example that they do not deliver with bags any more, which could be a real pain in the butt as they essentially have to 'pass' all the items to you. Plus rather shockingly they still require you to 'finger sign' their electronic pad which could have be hosting all kinds of nasty stuff including the virus, plus you have to get within 'breathing distance' of the driver.
I don't know for sure, but since their delivery system is a bit blase, I suspect that Tesco might be one of the supermarkets that would refuse to deliver to self-isolaters.

Any tales to tell?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting all this “ 12 week “ stuff. Coronavirus doesn’t end in 12 weeks. Go into lockdown or isolation for as long as you like but don’t think it’ll all be okay in 12 weeks. Only difference in 12 weeks is MAYBE. the NHS might be able to treat and look after you better should you need it.

Nigel182

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well Looks like 12 Weeks off Work waiting to hear what i'll be paid then decide what to do about Bills

on the Plus side Netflix subscription will be more than used might even start a diary and am sure the Garden will be the best it has been in ages.

Reactions: jjraak
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It's interesting how some private employers have taken it upon themselves to 'do the right thing'.

At the other end of the spectrum, I was in contact with someone today (that has a chronic long term condition and is currently self isolating even more than usual) that has been given 2 days notice to attend a 'fit for work interview' at a DWP office
The first time she has been contacted in 3 years and at this time. I asked if it was some kind of Tory joke. But no. :rolleyes:

It can be frustrating and maddening. People are trying to do the right thing for themselves and others, then they get hit with a 'kind of lawsuit' it is farcical, I do feel for the self isolating lady :(
I started off my work with children with SEN as a casual school, everyone does, with no holiday pay or sickness pay ( I have another job too) but on February 26th 2020 a permanent role was offered to me, which I accepted, if I was still a casual I would probably be in dire straits, but I hope to hear from the Council regarding more updates on the current situation.

Reactions: kev-w

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Well Looks like 12 Weeks off Work waiting to hear what i'll be paid then decide what to do about Bills

on the Plus side Netflix subscription will be more than used might even start a diary and am sure the Garden will be the best it has been in ages.
Dig that useless and sterile lawn up and get some fruit and veg in .... you'll be glad you did.

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I know alot of us are scared about what's going to happen, it's different to war where we can visualise the enemy however here we are dealing with many unknowns, which is what's fuelling the fear and anxiety for many, just popped into the post office and guy behind was swearing at the queue, told him it was pointless getting worked up and ended up having a pretty good chat about work/life/virus etc and we both wished each other well at the end. Here on the forum it's the same though, folk will need to vent anxiety and fear here too, but it's best just to keep calm, remain civil and take care of each other, we will get through this and at the end we will all have immaculate homes and vegetable gardens and have perhaps discovered a new interest, just remember that everyone with or without a health condition will be feeling anxious so take your time, think before you type and be kind and that's the best way to get through it all.

Reactions: urbanracer

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I asked at work today about consequence for vulnerable workers ,along with another type 1 and a lady with a very sick child. We were told to go home ( work in a school with 1,000 kids, no adequate washing facilities and 30 dispensers with no hand wash in them ). Then it was changed to be ‘stay in line with the government and stay til the weekend.’ I’m not saying the virus looks at the calendar or chooses weekends, what I’m saying is a) if I were to get symptoms tomorrow would I be paid for 12 weeks? Or b) if I were to risk it and stay until the weekend will I just qualify for £94 a week sick pay for 12 weeks because I’m toeing the line? My union doesn’t seem to know either. If the school ultimately closes, I’m guessing we will all be on ssp and very skint. Hope everyone is well

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was reading the diary about the Type 1 diabetic that had (has) coronavirus and he mentioned that some supermarkets wouldn't deliver to anyone that was self -isolating.

Could you repost the link?

Thank you, Lucy

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Last edited:

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The link is the one posted on the thread on this forum 'Coronavirus. What's it like?'

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/diary-dad-coronavirus-day-day-3953592

The part I referenced is near the bottom of the article.

"Some supermarkets refused to deliver when asked to leave the shopping by the door because of coronavirus".

But he’s only been ill since March 8th. Last entry in article dated 13 March. So that’s only six days. I hope he’s doing okay ...

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
But he’s only been ill since March 8th. Last entry in article dated 13 March. So that’s only six days. I hope he’s doing okay ...

Hi. I'm not quite sure what you're referring to in regards to my post, as I was simply pointing out that according to him (and his friends) 'some supermarkets refused to deliver to self-isolaters'.