Eat, drink and be merry because Covid-19?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Please note this is not a recommendation!

We generally make sacrifices, often major, especially in relation to food, as an investment in our long term health.
No treats may be harsh, but years without complications will be worth it.

We are now faced with the increased threat of death in the next 6 months.
Not as major as it sometimes sounds, but far more of a threat than usual.

For me, major temptation time is over Xmas and New Year with mince pies, Xmas pud, roast spuds etc.
I weaken and indulge myself knowing that stern control in the New Year will get me back on track.

I'm now contemplating illness, very serious illness or even death over the next 6 months.
Very hard not to decide to have a chip muffin, a cheesecake,.......
Hmmm... I just ran short of a list of desperate sins.
Sourdough bread is in there somewhere.
However, I think you probably get my drift.

If I was told that I would definitely be dead within 6 months then I would fill my boots because what are the consequences?

Being told that you might have a 1%, 3.5%, or more chance of severe illness then death because of age and diabetes is very unsettling.
I can't travel the world to tick off my bucket list.
Probably can't even travel this country.
Decadent indulgence is certainly a temptation,

Another unsettling thought is that I am relatively slim and if I did fall ill this might be a disadvantage because I lack fat reserves.
Should I perhaps put on half a stone?
I know that at the moment it goes on and comes off easily.

On the other hand I don't want to sail through the Covid-19 crisis only to have diabetic complications.

Perhaps just one chip butty in sourdough and a small slice of cheesecake?

Decisions, decisions.........

Hotpepper20000

We generally make sacrifices, often major, especially in relation to food, as an investment in our long term health.

For me, major temptation time is over Xmas and New Year with mince pies, Xmas pud, roast spuds etc.
I weaken and indulge myself knowing that stern control in the New Year will get me back on track.

I'm now contemplating illness, very serious illness or even death over the next 6 months.

If I was told that I would definitely be dead within 6 months then I would fill my boots because what are the consequences?

Being told that you might have a 1%, 3.5%, or more chance of severe illness then death because of age and diabetes is very unsettling.

Another unsettling thought is that I am relatively slim and if I did fall ill this might be a disadvantage because I lack fat reserves.

On the other hand I don't want to sail through the Covid-19 crisis only to have diabetic complications.

Perhaps this. Best of both worlds.

https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2019/04/08/keto-cheesecake-recipe-low-carb/

Reactions: Robinredbreast
D

Deleted member 308541

I will not be changing anything, will still eat plenty of meat though with a few more beers...

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
One thing I forgot to mention.
Keto diet may well enhance your immune system and help fight off viral infections.
Decisions, decisions....

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One thing I forgot to mention.
Keto diet may well enhance your immune system and help fight off viral infections.
Decisions, decisions....

that's the key factor, for me.

I'm considering getting stricter with keto, as a protective measure.
Haven’t bought my usual v dark choc for weeks now, and stocks have run down. :nailbiting:
Easier to go cold turkey when you are stuck in the house for weeks.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I will not be changing anything, will still eat plenty of meat though with a few more beers...

Me either, there's an increased chance of death every time I get in the car to go anywhere. Plus an increased chance of death if trying to buy toilet paper and having to fight for it :D

Last meal on earth, roast pork dinner, big thick layer of crackling and all the stuff that goes with it and coffee. Might even have a Corona beer! ;)

Reactions: lawrensh

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

In the past few years, every time I got sick, my blood sugars rose a little bit. But not enough to feed an infection, so yeah. I am terrified, with the Netherlands taking the approach it announced yesterday (group immunity/no lock down), that many people I love, and maybe me, will kick the proverbial bucket. But I'm not going to ditch my diet. I think I have a better chance getting through a double pneumonia if they're as low as I can get them. So keto it is, and keto it will remain.

M

Member496333

Let us not forget that not everything is about carbohydrate and blood glucose. All manner of 'foods' have the potential to impair the immune system.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I said to my echo this morning give me the BBC news one of the items was how to strengthen the immune system part of the preamble was about diet stating that red meat eggs and bone broth are good when it went deeper into the item they were not mentioned it was all about veg and fruit and yogurt oh it did say zinc supplements could help.

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I said to my echo this morning give me the BBC news one of the items was how to strengthen the immune system part of the preamble was about diet stating that red meat eggs and bone broth are good when it went deeper into the item they were not mentioned it was all about veg and fruit and yogurt oh it did say zinc supplements could help.
like for your new avatar @JohnEGreen

Reactions: JohnEGreen

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
Live and let live just remember you can't fight stupidity
I, for ages now, do not ever buy stuff I know to be bad for me (meaning it will raise my BS)

If it is not in the house I can't eat it... simple.

Thanks to all the help and knowledge from many here, I continue to follow a low carb diet (30g a day) and enjoy loads of high-fat stuff like cheese, double cream, some fat on my steaks (sorry Jim lol... huge thanks to you btw)

So my Little Grey Cat... Eat drink and be merry, whatever you want and die a slow Fat Cat death with perhaps huge health complications along the way... lost of toes, feet, leg, eyesight, etc. Or get the virus and die within the next few months, or not.

I would say stay on track give your body a fighting chance now tomorrow and the rest of your life... healthier from tomorrow til the day you depart your mortal coil... HOWEVER Stop worrying start living, keep smiling, keep testing, drink plenty of water, ignore the hype, find something that excites you and do... read, write, watch uplifting films, listen to some calming relaxing music perhaps... Enjoy this great site... Above all look after yourself!

Trump says "People are dying who have never died before"

Po

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes he really did!

Remember you can't fight stupidity!

He is just ****** because they will not let him build a wall... around his Golf course!

I thought Dubbya was stupid but Trump makes him look like a genius.
Po

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes he really did!

Remember you can't fight stupidity!

He is just ****** because they will not let him build a wall... around his Golf course!

I thought Dubbya was stupid but Trump makes him look like a genius.
Po
i agree....as i said to john..find me a soundbite id like it as a ringtone

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think that once you can make the leap into low carbing being a way of life it will be easier. Maybe change from thinking you are not getting treats to "I am choosing to care for my body" rather than seeing the dietary changes as restrictions?

There are thousands of tasty low carb recipes. I think of a low carb dessert as a treat.

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Could be 'Fake News'
Trump appeared unaware of his grandfather’s cause of death, he cited another family member — a “super-genius uncle,” his grandfather’s youngest son — as having given him the family genes to understand the science of the coronavirus outbreak.

“People are really surprised I understand this stuff,” he said. “Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability.”

This bit is NOT fake news
Po