At Risk groups

Elsa79

Hi guys,

My 12 year old was diagnosed back in 2011, and her Diabetes is managed really well thanks to carb counting.
Anyway, like many of you, I’m sure this Coronavirus troubles me. Currently she goes to school, and I make sure she has hand sanitiser on her and she washes her hands regularly, but with the government supposedly about to ask the elderly and at risk groups to stay at home for 12 weeks, would this include my daughter? The outline for the plan isn’t clear and the school has no idea. She certainly won’t be happy at home for that length of time. Any ideas? Thanks

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi guys,

My 12 year old was diagnosed back in 2011, and her Diabetes is managed really well thanks to carb counting.
Anyway, like many of you, I’m sure this Coronavirus troubles me. Currently she goes to school, and I make sure she has hand sanitiser on her and she washes her hands regularly, but with the government supposedly about to ask the elderly and at risk groups to stay at home for 12 weeks, would this include my daughter? The outline for the plan isn’t clear and the school has no idea. She certainly won’t be happy at home for that length of time. Any ideas? Thanks

I am pretty sure that more detailed advice for at risk groups will become available over the next few days so keep an eye on the news.

If it's any help, the statistics show that the younger you are, the less attention coronavirus pays to you. It also seems to dislike men more than women. Scientists don't really understand why but take it as a plus for the time being.

As for the T1 diabetes, there may be an increased risk with immune deficiency but as her blood glucose is well controlled she'll probably be OK even if she gets it.

Of course, there are no guarantees with this so it has to be your decision.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone that has to have the flu jab is in that group, so as every PWD has to have it........10% of the population will be at home from the weekend.....at least your house insurance should go down having someone always at home!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
According to JDRF, “There is no information at the moment that suggests that people living with type 1 diabetes are at greater risk from coronavirus.”

https://jdrf.org.uk/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-people-living-with-type-1-diabetes/

so the reports that diabetes puts you at risk are all taken from data with T2s? (This is actually quite plausible, given the fact that there are ten times as many T2s as T1s, but none of the data I've read differentiates between the two.)

But I do agree that the limited info we have suggests to me that a 12 year old, even if T1, is at very low risk from this illness.

Reactions: kev-w and LooperCat

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so the reports that diabetes puts you at risk are all taken from data with T2s? (This is actually quite plausible, given the fact that there are ten times as many T2s as T1s, but none of the data I've read differentiates between the two.)

But I do agree that the limited info we have suggests to me that a 12 year old, even if T1, is at very low risk from this illness.

That seems like a big assumption to me, but until clarified we'll have to agree to differ.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I have read (on the Internet so it must be true) that some of the statistics for the higher risk with diabetes come from China which allegedly has a high proportion of poorly controlled T2.

Poor control of both T1 and T2 seems to come with a compromised immune system and also comorbidities such as heart and lung conditions, also kidney problems.

I haven't seen any detail of the diabetic risk with Covid-19 so I am just making what seems a reasonable assumption.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

Hi @Elsa79 ,

Welcome to the forum.

If it's any consolation to you..? Have a look at a diabetics story of COVID 19. https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/diary-dad-coronavirus-day-day-3953592

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Blimey!
Confusing or what?
Anyone with diabetes is included (adults, so the OP's 12 year old is in the clear).
However this is social distancing not social isolation.
So the wooly worded caveats certainly don't give you a free pass from work.
Use of "where possible" gives a lot of wiggle room.
You can work from home and travel outside rush hour where possible and should think seriously become hurling yourself into the mosh pit at pop concerts.
However it doesn't say you are banned from travelling in the rush hour nor from working in an office so your employer can require you to, apparently.

In my biased view this is weak kneed and taking no resonsibility.
We deserve better.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Protecting older people and vulnerable adults …..

Hmm, whether or not T1 kids are vulnerable I would have thought for sure that kids on chemotherapy or with illnesses like CF would be. No mention of them however. Do they suddenly become vulnerable when they hit 18, but are fine before?

RobbieT1D

He said the geoup included: "People in adult life who would normally be advised to have the flu jab with chronic conditions like chronic heart disease or chronic kidney disease."

So I’m a Type 1 do I have to Isolate for 12 regardless if I have no symptoms as per the mandate

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
He said the geoup included: "People in adult life who would normally be advised to have the flu jab with chronic conditions like chronic heart disease or chronic kidney disease."

So I’m a Type 1 do I have to Isolate for 12 regardless if I have no symptoms as per the mandate
It says “strongly advised”, it’s not mandatory.