Coronavirus

I know there is probably many many threads on this i just really need to get some answers straight to me, if nothing else but for piece of mind. So thank you, in advance, I do appreciate it.

I've only been diagnosed for the last two years as a type 1 so its all still very new. I worried, I'm not going to dispute the fact.

Obviously after todays announcement in UK about generally people who are asked to have the flu jab need to be using caution, i want to get some clarification from people who are in the same boat as I am.

So does this mean I am to self isolate? Is any other diabetics planning on doing so?

I work at, what is normally, a very busy clothing retailer - but at the moment we are seeing sales drop through the floor. How do I approach the conversation with my boss if I do have to self isolate?

Thank you in advance.

T1 Diabetic
26yo

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I am T1 and I'm a teacher, I agree that it’s confusing knowing what to do for the best. I have a student who has been told to self isolate as he is T1. I feel bad thinking of not going into work as it will put pressure on other staff and my students, but I’m unsure if it’s silly to keep going in if it’s putting my health at risk. I really don’t know. I’ve had a horrible cold for around 10 days now. Defiantly just a cold but I feel drained already from that. Any advice would be great.

Hi, I am T1 and I'm a teacher, I agree that it’s confusing knowing what to do for the best. I have a student who has been told to self isolate as he is T1. I feel bad thinking of not going into work as it will put pressure on other staff and my students, but I’m unsure if it’s silly to keep going in if it’s putting my health at risk. I really don’t know. I’ve had a horrible cold for around 10 days now. Defiantly just a cold but I feel drained already from that. Any advice would be great.

Thank you, its good to know I'm not the only one. I too have had congestion and now, a slight cough but no temperature at all so I think I'm fine. But I just really don't know what to do. I work with other Type 1s and asthmatics who don't really seem to be taking it as seriously.

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel the same way. I’m currently on maternity leave with 2 young children, so while I don’t have to go to work, there’s no way we can all stay at home for weeks on end. My mental health would be totally shot. I certainly can’t keep distance from either of them, one’s still breastfeeding. I’m going to try and keep my BG as good as possible and hope I can fight it off if I get it (more like when, the 3 year old is a germ factory at the best of times).

Reactions: danniellehowell93

mouseee

I teach and our head is married to another head who is t1.
We've just had an email telling us they are self isolating the whole family. If heads are now considering it, its probably time to consider your own health.

I know as well as you do, the guilt attached to not being in school, but we are living in strange times. Just think of all that lovely planning you could send in!

I think message your gp or your diabetic team for advice. I had an email from my union suggesting you get a letter from the gp for your file explaining why you need to be out of school (if you do)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Loads of threads.

To me the important point is that the Government advice is for social distancing not social isolation.

Social distancing is still working but avoiding crowds if possible.

Social isolation is staying at home and avoiding even people living in the same house and not going out at all.

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Loads of threads.

To me the important point is that the Government advice is for social distancing not social isolation.

Social distancing is still working but avoiding crowds if possible.

Social isolation is staying at home and avoiding even people living in the same house and not going out at all.
They are now saying 3 months social isolation for elderly and immune-compromised- that's us.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Hi I live in Scotland and I heard that those people at risk will be contacted directly in the next few days from the surgery I always get a text for the flu jab off my surgery ( I think those advised to get a flu jab is amongst the criteria)I have other complications so I am sure I’ll be in the category to distance / isolate . When I get the official notification I’ll just do it . I’ll still go out on my bike just keep away from people as exercising away from people is also recommended. I can do it as I live in the relative countryside. Unlike a lot of people this will not affect me too badly as I am retired, I really feel for others not so fortunate.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The information from the briefing today wasn’t very clear. However I don’t think we are being asked to go into 12 week isolation, rather strongly advised to minimise social interaction. If you go on the basis of the flu jab it is significantly higher than the 1.4 million quoted in the news

there are some health conditions that will mean isolation and contact from the NHS, such as cancer and cystic fibrosis. The government has created a web page discussing but I don’t think I can link it

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s the link I couldn’t post as a new member (I guess). It’s not really clear to me but I didn’t read this as us having to isolate, just strongly advised unless we fall into the highly vulnerable that will be hearing from the NHS.
Maybe more knowledgeable posters here can decipher it!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s the link I couldn’t post as a new member (I guess). It’s not really clear to me but I didn’t read this as us having to isolate, just strongly advised unless we fall into the highly vulnerable that will be hearing from the NHS.
Maybe more knowledgeable posters here can decipher it!
Reads to me as advised to be as socially distanced as you can reasonably manage.
I did read somewhere isolated means even within your own house (separate everything) whereas socially distanced is from the rest of the world outside your home

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been sent to work from home as as everyone else on that risk list for the foreseeable future. Others have been asked to work where they can. Those on the list are mandated

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Well well well .. Australia's most senior doctor has LOUDLY said this a.m. that FEVER and dry cough are indeed prominent in those afflicted with Corona / Covid. Some armchair experts should take note.

S&B

Employers have a duty of care to all staff, those with underlying health conditions - diabetes is covered by this will be given further measures to follow either later this week, or early next. At the moment it is advice to social distance. What will follow is to self isolate for 12 weeks. Employers will have to follow those measures, to protect those vulnerable, and keep others safe - it’s their duty of care. What the big question is will staff who cannot work at home due to the work they do, what support is going to be given - is their any contractual entitlement to sick pay, how are gig economy going to be supported and self employed. I understand from today’s press conference that financial support will be communicated next week when further changes are advised. This could be upping the amount of SSP and that everyone whatever employment status will be eligible - it will help in these most challenging times.

xenomorph2020

Employers have a duty of care to all staff, those with underlying health conditions - diabetes is covered by this will be given further measures to follow either later this week, or early next. At the moment it is advice to social distance. What will follow is to self isolate for 12 weeks. Employers will have to follow those measures, to protect those vulnerable, and keep others safe - it’s their duty of care. What the big question is will staff who cannot work at home due to the work they do, what support is going to be given - is their any contractual entitlement to sick pay, how are gig economy going to be supported and self employed. I understand from today’s press conference that financial support will be communicated next week when further changes are advised. This could be upping the amount of SSP and that everyone whatever employment status will be eligible - it will help in these most challenging times.

There been no announcements to say there will be support to self employed etc.
Only for businesses that need to close.
Its ridiculous tbh.
In France they stopping mortgagee payments, tax etc while this goes on to help everyone.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Lots of news today about Scientific papers and studies having been done which shows (early) promising results for use of a common cheap anti-malarial drug to treat and possibly even prevent Covid19.
Paper: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1pnq469o...ew=An+Effective+Treatment+for+Coronavirus.pdf

Tweets about the French Study:
d43e0f7852183b3015da079c6d36edad.png

https://gyazo.com/d43e0f7852183b3015da079c6d36edad

https://twitter.com/AndyBiotech/status/1239963224298016768

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Remdesivir a drug used successively against MERS and SARS also seems to be effective with Covid 19

"What our study showed was that remdesivir essentially mimics one of the natural building blocks for RNA synthesis necessary for genome replication of the virus. Enzymes within the virus are synthesizing the viral RNA genome with these building blocks, but they mix up the bits they need with the drug. Once the drug is incorporated into the growing RNA chain, the virus can no longer replicate,"explained Götte.
He said the next step is to wait for results from ongoing clinical trials with remdesivir, which are expected by the end of April. Even then, that won't be the end of the story, he cautioned.
"It's likely we'll need more than one drug to properly fight emerging diseases like COVID-19, as we have with HIV and hepatitis C virus infections," Götte said.
"Ideally, we will have a couple of drugs because certain strains could be resistant to certain treatments."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/02/200227122123.htm