COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I need to go grocery shopping tomorrow. I fear there won't be much left :nailbiting:

Anyone know of a good place to buy a bow & arrow? Preferably online :shifty:
I find the small shops have lots of stock, superstores not so lucky!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
you could call 111, describe appropriate symptoms, truthfully tell work you've been advised to self isolate for 7 days
you won't be the only one taking time off, most won't even call 111.
no ones going to be able to check, so maybe skip the 111 call and be a good citizen..:).

I don’t think this is a good time (if there is ever a good time) to be using NHS resources if you are asymptomatic. The service is already creaking at the seams.

@4mum_ A reasonable employer - especially after yesterday’s announcements - should be willing to take account of the concerns and personal circumstances of staff. It is never a good move to raise any questions in an employer’s mind as to your integrity.

Edited to correct typo.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3
M

Member496333

I suppose this is as good a place as any to post this for the benefit of those who may be interested in his work/ramblings. Paul Saladino's latest podcast is all about coronavirus. I haven't listened to all of it yet, but as far as I can tell so far, it's a deep technical dive into the virus, and isn't anything to do with the carnivore diet.

Web;
https://carnivoremd.com/carnivoremd...create-the-healthiest-immune-system-possible/

Apple;
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podca...sodeGuid=dd39f6aa-d42f-448c-81a7-264afb354d91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have two hospital appointments this month, 25th and 31st. One for eye laser treatment, the other at the pain clinic, not heard if they are to be cancelled,

Dark Horse

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-16/coronavirus-who-should-stay-home-and-for-how-long/

Still a little vague on who is classed as 'vulnerable' unless you are over 70.
Joan Bakewell on BBC2 Newsnight tonight, thinks the messages should be given with more force regarding what you should do and not just 'advised' to do, so more enforcement in the messages.
This page on the Government website lists various categories of people at increased risk of severe illness:- https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have two hospital appointments this month, 25th and 31st. One for eye laser treatment, the other at the pain clinic, not heard if they are to be cancelled,

I'd not be fancying eye lasering from someone adding 2 mtrs to the distance between.

I know that's totally flippant, and I apologise.

My OH's daughter is on sick leave at the moment, having had a carpal tunnel op on one hand, and was planned to have the other done, as the first healed. This has not been cancelled.

At her hospital (where she is a patient and staff member) all elective surgery, except urgent and cancer cases has been cancelled until further notice.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hospital admin can be painfully slow at the best of times. My son and I have both received appointments after the date of the appointment...so of course we were marked as non attenders grrr. I would guess the non urgent cases will be cancelled eventually.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had a fab series of texts from our vets, listing, in 4 successive steps, how they intend to protect their staff, and keep the place open and helping animals throughout the COVID-19 distancing.

It is a brilliantly well thought out plan involving phone consults, either from home or the carpark, no human customers inside the building, staff fetching the animals from the car, to take into the consulting rooms, if necessary, all payments to be via the phone, and so on.

Very impressed.
First stage is being implemented from 8am tomorrow morning.

I am astonished at the difference between companies and employers... This vets is so on the ball, whereas my employer is still vaguely incommunicado and the impression is that they are just kind of hoping it will all go away. Needless to say, I have no intention of letting my employer place myself or anyone else at risk, but it would be nice if they had sent out an email on the subject in the last 5 days...

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
44 pages in and I can’t find it now. I’ve seen something somewhere. Talked about inflammation, heme carrying capacity of iron in blood amongst other things.

Is there anything scientific/medical that describes why diabetes is a risk. Specifically what mechanisms etc.

Yes. Can't locate sources now, but from med papers I've read, the issue is that high blood glucose, and a lot of glycation already in our blood cells*, facilitates infection and delays recovery, both for bacterial infections and also for viruses. This will be a factor at every stage, also in making it more or less likely that we become seriously ill. So keeping BG to our personal best is really important.

* As reflected in the HbA1c. The lower, the better. So important to aim at our personal best.

As/when I find links, I'll post them.

Lucy

Reactions: Tedrick69

Tedrick69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
religious extremism
For those of us who have hypertension and are taking medication such as Lisiniprol, then that drug - which is an ACE inhibitor - can cause severe illness and death.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For those of us who have hypertension and are taking medication such as Lisiniprol, then that drug - which is an ACE inhibitor - can cause severe illness and death.
What evidence of this, please?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's logical I suppose as I had to give up my ACE inhibitor years ago as it gave me a dry cough. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Tedrick69

Tedrick69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
religious extremism
I have a link from Lancet but the forum won't let me put it up yet in case I'm a spammer!

Tedrick69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
religious extremism
Ok, I'll copy and paste.
Lancet paper. I've tried putting a link in, I've tried copy and paste and the forum won't let me.
I cannot link it. I've sent a message to Diabetes UK on their contact us page imploring them to let me send links.
Lei Fang, George Karakiulakis and Michael Roth are the names on the report.

Reactions: Pipp