Self employed and Coronavirus

Bennymcg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I am type 1 diabetic and have been since I was 7. I am now 33.
It is pretty well controlled 95% of the time.
I am a self employed builder. With all the scare with Coronavirus in the news with regards to self isolating. How likely is it that this will be made definite?
If it was to become compulsory how am I meant to be able to pay for bills if I cant work? If you could advise best route I could take.

Thanks

Reactions: WackyJacky64

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think they would make it compulsory. I mean they can force people who are sick to isolate, but I would be surprised if they enforced isolation for people not poorly.

Not like any one is going to be going round checking on the location of diabetics.

To be honest as a builder your proberbly at lower risk any way unless your doing building work ins crowded building

Reactions: Bennymcg

Bennymcg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reassurance sno0opy. Outside most at the moment with minimal inside work. Even then there are only 3 or 4 people working then

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The government is reducing the minimum income floor for self-employed people on universal credit. But I don't think they're doing anything for self-employed people not on universal credit. Is that right? My answer is that if your work does dry up completely, you have to apply for benefits. Paying for food for your children is the priority, and not servicing a mortgage.

Last edited:
Reactions: WackyJacky64

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can you take on outdoor jobs for the next 3 months, as the risk is minimal outside unless a person is close to you, and facing you, for more then a few minutes.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I’m the same. But I’m a driving instructor.
I have sickness insurance and financially I’m much better off if I get sick as things will pay out. If I dint and just self isolate I get nothing.
It’s called overdrafts etc.
Spoke to bank today and she was more concerned about the fact her holiday was cancelled.
Seriously!

Broomthebeast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type 1 and a self-employed nanny. The parents look more and more like they would rather me not to come and work (they know I'm at risk, and they are really afraid of contamination). AND toddlers are always a petri-dish of germs anyway (I love her but the 2 year-old I'm looking after coughs in my face, 'share' her snot etc.. :) )

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
My husband runs a market stall , if he doesn't work we don't eat or pay bills . I get carers allowance as i am carer for my mum, but that isn't enough a week to pay the bills . It worries me .

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If anyone gets into financial difficulties, the Consumer Action Group helped me out a lot once - https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/ . Tax debts are hard to get out of, but normal debts can't be collected if you can't afford to pay (and that doesn't mean you can't have any holidays or go out at all - paying debt is not the reason for your existence). In the end, if you can't pay, you have to default on debt, and offer £1 a month and show them you can't afford more. That is the only way to get your life back. Your priority is NOT paying overdrafts and mortgages - but to feed your children. In the end if you lose the house, the council will house you. You don't have to be a debt peon.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
If anyone gets into financial difficulties, the Consumer Action Group helped me out a lot once - https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/ . Tax debts are hard to get out of, but normal debts can't be collected if you can't afford to pay (and that doesn't mean you can't have any holidays or go out at all - paying debt is not the reason for your existence). In the end, if you can't pay, you have to default on debt, and offer £1 a month and show them you can't afford more. That is the only way to get your life back. Your priority is NOT paying overdrafts and mortgages - but to feed your children. In the end if you lose the house, the council will house you. You don't have to be a debt peon.
There is a huge waiting list for council housing. It can take months or years.
It’s really not as simple as you can get housing.
Plus everyone is in this situation. Everyone will need council housing

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a huge waiting list for council housing. It can take months or years.
It’s really not as simple as you can get housing.
Plus everyone is in this situation. Everyone will need council housing

Banks can't turf people out of their home easily. It would take a year to evict. And even if council housing is short, councils can place people in rented accommodation. If there is a nationwide problem and millions of people can't pay rent or mortgage, they are likely to simply stay put. Some countries are introducing mandatory mortgage holidays. Don't skimp on the kids' food and entertainment to pay some old debt.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Banks can't turf people out of their home easily. It would take a year to evict. And even if council housing is short, councils can place people in rented accommodation. If there is a nationwide problem and millions of people can't pay rent or mortgage, they are likely to simply stay put. Some countries are introducing mandatory mortgage holidays. Don't skimp on the kids' food and entertainment to pay some old debt.
I’m rented. Trust me I can be evicted quickly. Plus why should I think it’s ok to make my landlord lose money to save me.
Kind of why we are in this mess. Too much selfishness. The stockpiling is selfish.
I have no idea what’s going to happen but please stop trivialising it. It’s really not that simple.

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m rented. Trust me I can be evicted quickly. Plus why should I think it’s ok to make my landlord lose money to save me.
Kind of why we are in this mess. Too much selfishness. The stockpiling is selfish.
I have no idea what’s going to happen but please stop trivialising it. It’s really not that simple.

I was clearly talking about banks repossessing houses where the householder has fallen behind on rent payments. If you're renting and lose your job, Housing Benefit (the Local Authority Housing Allowance) covers your rent anyway. And no, the most important thing in this crisis is not to make sure landlord rackrents get all their claimed dues.

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

we will all be in the same situation. I don't thnk the governmet want everyone out of work. It's our tax that runs the country. Thy need this virus gone asap.Landlords don't want anyone out of their houses its more trouble getting new tennents than to evict . They would get rent or part of it through housing benefit which is more than house owners get whch is nil. Homeoners will have to get a loan off the government which doesn't even pay half of the interest, and it has to be repaid upon selling the house.It isn't going to be nice being forced into debt because of a virus.
The shelves were bare last night nothing left and it's selfish you're right.

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got a Tesco delivery coming, but the nearest slot I could get was March 26th. If anyone here needs supermarket deliveries, book now.

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see the govt has announced a three month mortgage holiday today. These are pretty extreme measures.

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I couldn't even get a roll of Izal today. It's all gone bonkers.

b10f8cc5-fe17-4d23-ac72-ac683ae1d6ea.jpg

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was clearly talking about banks repossessing houses where the householder has fallen behind on rent payments. If you're renting and lose your job, Housing Benefit (the Local Authority Housing Allowance) covers your rent anyway. And no, the most important thing in this crisis is not to make sure landlord rackrents get all their claimed dues.
no, that used to be the case. Housing Benefit no longer covers the entire cost of rent.