Coronavirus - How at risk am I?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They should be tested regularly if they are in the group that has vulnerable contacts in the at risk groups, they will know at least they haven't been the vector who killed their grandad or grandma with their subclinical symptoms.

Would this be a testing prompted by symptoms?
Or purely on the basis the individual has traveled from a known infected area?

... Or just a beneficiary in grandma's will.? ;)

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm living in a small town in linconshire, so maybe we would get corona last. I have 16 rolls of toilet paper, 5 kg of peanut butter and 2 litres of 5% fat yoghurt in, so I will survive for a while even if the shops are cleaned out.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Doesn't sound very appetising to me toilet paper peanut butter and low fat yoghurt .

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

How do you know that an area isn't infected since infections in the UK (according to Chief Medical Officer Whittey) is between 10x and 20x the officially diagnosed figure. And that is from while they were testing a higher proportion of suspected cases.

I have joined this international volunteer group to 'flatten the cure' or even stop it in its tracks.
Why not help by joining international volunteer group to stop the Covid-19 outbreak?
See this Twitter thread: https://twitter.com/yaneerbaryam/sta...67530638282752
They have a group Slack workspace, which I have joined, for organising and sharing ideas.

They are looking for organising skills, technical skills down to people to deliver food to those self isolating and vulnerable, or just people with contacts/influence to find others with skills etc.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How do you know that an area isn't infected since infections in the UK (according to Chief Medical Officer Whittey) is between 10x and 20x the officially diagnosed figure. And that is from while they were testing a higher proportion of suspected cases.

I have joined this international volunteer group to 'flatten the cure' or even stop it in its tracks.
Why not help by joining international volunteer group to stop the Covid-19 outbreak?
See this Twitter thread: https://twitter.com/yaneerbaryam/sta...67530638282752
They have a group Slack workspace, which I have joined, for organising and sharing ideas.

They are looking for organising skills, technical skills down to people to deliver food to those self isolating and vulnerable, or just people with contacts/influence to find others with skills etc.

Thanks for the link. I'll look a little further into it.

Dispite my jovial remarks, I personally haven't been sitting on my lorrals... ;)
My sister is the carer for our 87 year old mother & there is a sensible plan of action in place. Our mum's fortunate enough to live next door to my sister..

My wife & I discussed this very subject last night. We have elderly neighbours.
I'm treating it a little like an "adverse weather plan" to avoid slips & falls for the more vulnerable.?
We have been known to venture out for a few supplies in the snow & ask anyone else if they need anything..

The way I see it.. We got a long way to go before we get a nation wide program like the flu jab to lower the risk of COVID19.

lindisfel

Expert
That sounds like it would be pretty much everybody to me, or are there large groups of people who don't know anyone who is old?

Well their not protected and some of them stand a chance of dying if they cannot buffer themselves from the subclinical.

In your context, its your choice.
Worse odds than Russian Roulette for the over 80s.
D.

lindisfel

Expert

I dont know how many are in the at risk groups. The time is coming when they need to cut down their contacts to a bare minimum. It is up to each person and their contacts, to decide how the vulnerable should maximise their chances of survival.
Our family are away and our friends here are older, so we have to be self sufficient, besides I have to stay well to look after my wife after her hip replacement.
I have to shop, but it will an absolute minimum. Any other contact will be at least four meters.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. At over 80 and wife 78 it means isolating ourselves to survive.
It will be hard, but we have each other and got a large garden surrounded by fields and plenty of birds to look at.
Families need to understand they could be putting their loved ones at risk.

We will not stop Covid19 with a willy nilly approach!
D.

Last edited:

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
We are prob more at risk from hypos as people keep takin all the pasta rice pizzas etc off the shelves. I really dont want to spend next few weeks topping up in biscuits x

mibby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I saw my GP last week and asked her. I am 58 and type 1. She said I was not in an "at risk" group because my immune system seems to work just fine.

To be on the safe side I have been stockpiling red wine.

Reactions: kev-w and Brunneria

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The Irish have started a recruitment drive for health care workers and are rolling out testing across the country from today. They have also set up a police unit in order to help maintain public order.

Our government has really taken no measures just made suggestions we can act on or not depending on what we as individuals choose.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw my GP last week and asked her. I am 58 and type 1. She said I was not in an "at risk" group because my immune system seems to work just fine.

To be on the safe side I have been stockpiling red wine.

I've just 'invested' in 15L red!
I was in Lidl with a shooping list my wife gave me.
It was pretty busy so I dashed round meaning I missed one item.
When I got back she asked if I'd got any toilet rolls!!
We're possibly the only house in the northern hemisphere short of bog roll!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I've just 'invested' in 15L red!
I was in Lidl with a shooping list my wife gave me.
It was pretty busy so I dashed round meaning I missed one item.
When I got back she asked if I'd got any toilet rolls!!
We're possibly the only house in the northern hemisphere short of bog roll!

Hand stands in the shower.

KentNeil

Afternoon all,

We're really struggling here with what do ala self isolation. I'm type 1, wife is 21 weeks pregnant and we have a 2 yr old who goes to nursery 3 times a week. We can both work at home without any issues it's just should we be keeping our son in as well? Kind of defeats the object if he's going out and coming back from mixing with the great unwashed but im not sure my gin stocks/liver can cope with 3 mths isolation!

Think I know the answer but what do people think?

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For now the government website says stringent social distancing for over 70s, those with underlying health issues and pregnant women.
The self isolation is for 1.4 million people who are at severe risk e.g those with leukaemia, undergoing dialysis for example. They will be contacted directly.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
You know the answer you know the right thing to do or you would not be asking the question trust yourselves and do what you deem to be the correct thing to do and not be overly concerned with other peoples opinions.

I know if I had a young child at this time the last place they would be is in school.

Especially as your wife is pregnant.

Reactions: KentNeil
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
We are prob more at risk from hypos as people keep takin all the pasta rice pizzas etc off the shelves. I really dont want to spend next few weeks topping up in biscuits x

I went into Morrisons this morning, it was packed out, not the shelves, but shoppers with full up trolleys.
I went get some gluten free pasta from the free from aisle, empty !!
edited for typo

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** doctors. Airport travel.
For now the government website says stringent social distancing for over 70s, those with underlying health issues and pregnant women.
The self isolation is for 1.4 million people who are at severe risk e.g those with leukaemia, undergoing dialysis for example. They will be contacted directly.

On the news, to avoid listing all the various conditions they just said: 'Anyone that would normally be recommended to get a flu jab'.

So by that I infer All type 1 diabetics regardless of age. :arghh:

Might have to get a Pelaton, haha (I'll have to decontaminate it fist of course).
I have a friend in Spain (currently under official lock-down) and they are doing virtual exercise classes (Body Pump last night).

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The fact that they have only now added pregnant women to the list of those at risk I find totally incredible they should have been first on the list and it should have been stressed from the start not added as an after thought .