Self isolation for 12 weeks ?????

Liftupjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ok so I’m so confused do we have to self isolate for 12 weeks type 1 diabetics or not ?? I read the gov website I’m still not sure ???

Reactions: Picci
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
The government, from what I can gather, are just advising people, Joan Bakewell on Newsnight last night had a moan about the governments, well, wishy washy ways.
I haven't self isolated...........yet, but it's looks as though something could be in the pipeline for many, if not all.

Reactions: Parky9

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Watching closely. I’m a teaching assistant and I’m and tired of kids coughing, I know it’s probably just normal seasonal illness but I’m type 1, high blood pressure, underachieve thyroid and I’m 50. I’m a lone parent to a 14 year old and have no family near me.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The information from the government is, everyone between the ages of 0-150 go into isolation, if you are white, black or anything in-between go into isolation, if you have ever had a scratch go into isolation. Apart from that carry on as usual.

Ladybird579

Reading it it does mean t1's but am here on behalf of my son. He's not happy self isolating. He has exams coming up and a wide circle of friends and hobbies outside the home. I need to self isolate as am in kidney failure but he won't. I don't know the answer to what happens in that or many situations. It's very vague. Also I am a carer to another adult son. No idea what happens then either. Diabetes wise tho it looks like we should.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Ok to self isolating BUT who is going to pay my rent, my utilities etc etc the list is mahoosive........I can't live on SSP!!!!

Reactions: dmckatana
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
BBC news this morning had a government adviser on and said all people offered the flu jab which includes diabetics are to self isolate for 12 weeks but at the moment does not include children.

I work with children, if I self isolate, do I get paid ?
Unless I get a notification from my employers/GOV.UK or my health team, I am carrying on as normal.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ok to self isolating BUT who is going to pay my rent, my utilities etc etc the list is mahoosive........I can't live on SSP!!!!

If we self isolate, off of our own backs, without a specific notification, who pays us ?

Last edited:

**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
Self isolating if you have symptoms. Social isolating if you are over 70/are in a high risk group.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults
So should I be social-isolating?

I've asked my employer (an NHS Trust) if I can gain the facilities to work from home.
It's not sounding likely even though I have a desk job and don't have any patient contact.

So instead I'm sitting at my desk in smallish office with +30 people and have to get public transport in and out.

There is no real literature to explain if you are in an at risk group and you cannot work from home... Are we then supposed to continue working?

X

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m type 1, age 51. I work in a school and when I went to work today, my head teacher ordered me to go home for 12 weeks as advised by the government yesterday.
I was told my school has a ‘duty of care.’
I was devastated at first, I love my job and thrive on routine. Etc. But I actually feel safer now. I’ll do as much online grocery shopping as possible and will only venture out for other essentials, when I’m less likely to come into contact with people.
I have a teenager currently preparing for GCSEs, therefore I’m not going to make her stay at home, although it would be much better if she did.
Stay safe everyone

D

Deleted member 371547

I am 38 and am now working from home for the foreseeable, my partner works in a school and they have been sending loads of kids home. Is it pointless staying in if she can bring it home?

jennie17efc

I was told that I was only advised to self isolate and that the 12 weeks won't apply based on the government instructions, taken from the Gov.uk websiteo Publication for "Covid 19 guidance on social distancing and for vulnerable people guidance on social distancing for everyone in the UK and protecting older people and vulnerable adults"

The 12 weekers are people such as cancer patients, organ transplant patients, this with CF, kidney disease and a few more.

Diabetes is in this section, nit the 12 week one
"We are advising those who are at increased risk of severe illness from coronavirus (COVID-19) to be particularly stringent in following social distancing measures."

jennie17efc

And my boss said "well it doesn't come into force till next week" when I asked about working from home.

I'm due to start a new job on Monday so I get the feeling their compassion and protection of employees in my case is non existent now I have a new job and will be leaving.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
There are NO instructions, only "advice".

So the Government does not have your back.
As far as I can see you have to work normally unless you show clear symptoms of Covid-19.
If you self isolate you have to bear the cost.

Reactions: Liftupjoe

Munsa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Moaners! That there's no cure for diabetes.
Me too, still not sure

Any news from @DiabetesUK on this confusion....
The crazy thing is I returned from Australia via Singapore on the 3rd March. Was in self isolation for 2 weeks because we'd stopped off in Singapore. Was tested last Friday due to the awful cough I've had. It came back negative, which was good news. Unfortunately, this just means I could still catch it!

Reactions: Glucobabu
D

Deleted member 308541

As far as I can see you have to work normally unless you show clear symptoms of Covid-19.

If you self isolate you have to bear the cost.
That's the way I see it as well, you will be taking unpaid sick / holiday leave if you have no symptoms.

This is where the old saying "saving for a rainy day" comes to mind.