COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

SamRick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A medical mask used correctly needs to be replaced every 4 hours, binned without touching the surface. Not many will use them correctly without training, so current advice is simply not to bother. It would lead to a false sense of security.

Advice given recently on this topic is that 'medical' face masks are only intended to avoid contaminating another person, when you may have something that may be harmful to them. They're not designed to protect an individual from external infections, and may be ineffectual for this.

Also, the effect of a false sense of security is counterproductive. Of course, a face mask may be effective at keeping others weill away from you (social distancing) in public places, but that will depend on how many others are also wearing them.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a link from Lancet but the forum won't let me put it up yet in case I'm a spammer!

I’ve been following this question too. There is some evidence but it’s not clear yet. The mechanism would be that these drugs substantially increase ACE-2 receptors, which are what the virus latches onto. So would boost the viral load.

This will become clearer. In the mean time, if I were talking these drugs (my husband is), I would call my doctor & ask for guidance. I don’t think bc we can possibly decide about medication of our own bat. We need. medical guidance.

BUT deciding not to use ibuprofen is a different matter. We can & I think should decide not to use that for ourselves. See Google, passim.

PS: I’m not a medical person. OTOH I have been following the medical papers.

Reactions: Cobia and Tedrick69

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been following this question too. There is some evidence but it’s not clear yet. The mechanism would be that these drugs substantially increase ACE-2 receptors, which are what the virus latches onto. So would boost the viral load.

This will become clearer. In the mean time, if I were talking these drugs (my husband is), I would call my doctor & ask for guidance. I don’t think bc we can possibly decide about medication of our own bat. We need. medical guidance.

BUT deciding not to use ibuprofen is a different matter. We can & I think should decide not to use that for ourselves. See Google, passim.

Docs should be getting national guidance on BB this soon. The French authorities have already made a statement warning not to use ibuprofen.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, I'll copy and paste.

Lancet paper. I've tried putting a link in, I've tried copy and paste and the forum won't let me.
I cannot link it. I've sent a message to Diabetes UK on their contact us page imploring them to let me send links.
Lei Fang, George Karakiulakis and Michael Roth are the names on the report.

@Tedrick69

new members are unable to post links to videos and other sites until they have made a certain number of posts - it is intended to protect the forum from spam.

so don't worry, keep posting, and your ability to post links and references will arrive automatically (maybe 10 posts? )

Is this the paper you were referencing?
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30116-8/fulltext

Reactions: Pipp

Tedrick69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
religious extremism
@Tedrick69

new members are unable to post links to videos and other sites until they have made a certain number of posts - it is intended to protect the forum from spam.

so don't worry, keep posting, and your ability to post links and references will arrive automatically (maybe 10 posts? )
Ok, that's good. Thanks Brunn!

Reactions: Pipp
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I'd not be fancying eye lasering from someone adding 2 mtrs to the distance between.

I know that's totally flippant, and I apologise.

My OH's daughter is on sick leave at the moment, having had a carpal tunnel op on one hand, and was planned to have the other done, as the first healed. This has not been cancelled.

At her hospital (where she is a patient and staff member) all elective surgery, except urgent and cancer cases has been cancelled until further notice.

I will just wait and see, erm, excuse the pun :oops:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I may be misunderstanding, but it seems lowering inflammation is good.

Am I right in thinking that lowering carbs reduced inflammation anyway?

Tedrick69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
religious extremism
If you can post the full name of the paper, I will provide a link.
Are patients with hypertension and diabetes mellitus at increased risk for COVID-19 infection?

Tedrick69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
religious extremism

PS: I’m not a medical person. OTOH I have been following the medical papers.
I've managed to get a phone appointment on Friday morning. Until then, I'm stopping taking Lisiniprol and continuing with the rest of my meds that haven't been reported as being harmful to potential Covid 9. I'll go for walks everyday and watch my carbs and sugar intake and check my bp.
No doubt they'll tell me to keep taking it but I'm not going to. There must be other types of medication you can take that isn't ACE that can be used alongside calcium channel blockers like Amlodopine.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Basically anyone who is eligible for a flu jab normally is considered to be high risk and asked to be self isolating where possible.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've managed to get a phone appointment on Friday morning. Until then, I'm stopping taking Lisiniprol and continuing with the rest of my meds that haven't been reported as being harmful to potential Covid 9. I'll go for walks everyday and watch my carbs and sugar intake and check my bp.
No doubt they'll tell me to keep taking it but I'm not going to. There must be other types of medication you can take that isn't ACE that can be used alongside calcium channel blockers like Amlodopine.

I sympathise. OTOH I think what we want is actually good competent medical advice. We don’t have any of that yet. The Eur Soc of Cardiology have put out a statement saying continue; more will come on line with this.

https://www.dicardiology.com/conten...i-and-arbs-do-not-increase-covid-19-mortality

Tedrick69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
religious extremism
I sympathise. OTOH I think what we want is actually good competent medical advice. We don’t have any of that yet. The Eur Soc of Cardiology have put out a statement saying continue; more will come on line with this.

https://www.dicardiology.com/conten...i-and-arbs-do-not-increase-covid-19-mortality
Yeah. Just saw that on the NHS page about Lisiniprol - no evidence that it conflicts with treatment of Covid 19 but there have been 3 Chinese studies saying that there may be.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whats got me is the first drug used for the heart on aged based patients can be asprin...

Found a link for the world stats.....

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdash...4740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6?mod=article_inline
cheers looked at that a few times too busy for my eyes.
use the world
Advice given recently on this topic is that 'medical' face masks are only intended to avoid contaminating another person, when you may have something that may be harmful to them. They're not designed to protect an individual from external infections, and may be ineffectual for this.

Also, the effect of a false sense of security is counterproductive. Of course, a face mask may be effective at keeping others weill away from you (social distancing) in public places, but that will depend on how many others are also wearing them.

On that subject

The idea that the masks PROTECT the users is i believe correct
The idea that it doesn't prevent the user getting a virus is also correct, i believe

However, the idea that we ALL wear one when out, would that not help to lower the risks ( and spread of the virus,)
we all take having those who are unknowingly infected spluttering their germs on so many surfaces..?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
cheers looked at that a few times too busy for my eyes.
use the world

On that subject

The idea that the masks PROTECT the users is i believe correct
The idea that it doesn't prevent the user getting a virus is also correct, i believe

However, the idea that we ALL wear one when out, would that not help to lower the risks ( and spread of the virus,)
we all take having those who are unknowingly infected spluttering their germs on so many surfaces..?
But there are none to be had. I guess makeshift ones would help minimise the spluttering over everything but I still don’t think people in the U.K. are ready to do that the way the Chinese were

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Basically anyone who is eligible for a flu jab normally is considered to be high risk and asked to be self isolating where possible

The problem is, 'being asked to do it' doesn't mean my emplouer will pay me if I suggest I self isolate, without actually being told it is a must to do so !