Pump

Connie’s Dad

My daughter has just got her pump. We are on first few days using saline solution to help her get used to it.

She is not too keen! Has picked up on loads of negative stuff. Me and her Mum are trying to push the positives.

Can anyone share any tips?

Additionally, how/where have kids attached pump for sleeping? She has a wee belt, but complained about rolling over on it.

Any help or advice or support appreciated.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Connie’s Dad

I use a pump belt and sleep on my tum as well as toss and turn a fair bit and it’s only woke me a couple of times in 4 years, others put it under their pillow.

What sort of negative stuff has she heard ? Can you buy some stickers for it online to personalise it ?

In terms of falling in love with it, name it, call it her super computer pancreas, kids love gadgets so in time her attitude will hopefully change. Tell her it can do so much more than pens, it will give her flexibility with exercise/food, it can give teeny amounts of insulin so her control will get tighter and more manageable.

Personally I wish all t1 kids had one as they really can help greatly to drill down on control, I went for years with HbA1c’s over 60+ and now they are below 50 and nearing 40, it’s down to how I use the pump but without it it would be impossible, hope she comes round :)

Reactions: Connie’s Dad

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
How old is she? My daughter didn't like it at first as she "looked different" at age 10 but bought her an emoji cover for it (wearing dabbee website) and it settled. She tends to clip it to her pjjamas to sleep but uses a belt at school

Little_Lucy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve had mine for over a year now and I love it! At first I did notice it quite a lot (but who wouldn’t it is a massive lump on ur belt)! I’ve never used anything to clip it onto I’ve just clipped it onto my clothes and never really had a problem with that. With sleeping I used to keep it attached to my pyjamas and then whilst trying to get to sleep if I would to turn over I would just move it to the other side but recently I have just unclipped it from my pyjamas and just lay it on my bed. If u get a wire length that is long enough you should be able to roll over without it tugging (my length is 46cm I think)
Hope this helps!