Warning email

Linda21

Someone I know recently said they had an email from diabetes uk stating because they are at high risk of catching this virus they are to stay inside for two weeks has anyone else seen this email ?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Someone I know recently said they had an email from diabetes uk stating because they are at high risk of catching this virus they are to stay inside for two weeks has anyone else seen this email ?

No I haven't.

JVH2310

Type of diabetes
Type 1

No I haven't seen that email. Current government advice is for people with diabetes to stay at home for twelve weeks, as they are in the same high risk category as over-70s and others with underlying health conditions.

Reactions: Jasper27

marzak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
inactivity, being stuck indoors
No

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, I have heard this - a global thing - and I don't understand it. Are we really more susceptible to catching viruses than other folks our age without diabetes? I think I have had a cold once since diagnosis, ie in the last five or so years... (and not the flu). What is it about too high insulin and glucose (if type two for instance, as I am) that makes one get a more intense infection, and more likely to be infected in the first place?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I have heard this - a global thing - and I don't understand it. Are we really more susceptible to catching viruses than other folks our age without diabetes? I think I have had a cold once since diagnosis, ie in the last five or so years... (and not the flu). What is it about too high insulin and glucose (if type two for instance, as I am) that makes one get a more intense infection, and more likely to be infected in the first place?

Happy to join you on that NO cold step..well ok you failed .once...;)

But do the people eating less processed foods have a better immune system
because i DO think the T2D (i can't speak for T1D) seems to be that those on here eating better and for me that is LCHF
and many seem to improve they're secondary illnesses (for me asthma) as well as improve the BG and HBA1c for Type 2.

IS this any thing beneficial to those others who are not managing their BG's as well as they could.
and with Covid looming over our shoulders..
is NOW a time to be adventurous and embrace a new way of eating , even if only for a few weeks or so, ?

after all...what ya got to lose..???

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

2 weeks sounds like the isolation period required if you think you have come into contact with a virus carrier. Those who are being advised to self isolate to avoid catching it are being told 12 weeks.... I think your friend is misremembering their email.

Reactions: jjraak

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Happy to join you on that NO cold step..well ok you failed .once...;)

But do the people eating less processed foods have a better immune system
because i DO think the T2D (i can't speak for T1D) seems to be that those on here eating better and for me that is LCHF
and many seem to improve they're secondary illnesses (for me asthma) as well as improve the BG and HBA1c for Type 2.

IS this any thing beneficial to those others who are not managing their BG's as well as they could.
and with Covid looming over our shoulders..
is NOW a time to be adventurous and embrace a new way of eating , even if only for a few weeks or so, ?

after all...what ya got to lose..???

Yes! Agreed. Absolutely. Even on the failure of the one cold :cat:.

My partner, Herr Svea, and I, are currently having very animated discussions about the imune-response of those with type two, and the need to socially isolate, as in are we? and should we?

Before I knew I had diabetes I was as sick as sick could be. I thought I had a mass of different diseases, got many colds and flus, and was very, ah, surprised to get the T2D verdict, and then find out everything, on changing the way I ate, pretty well fell into place after that. (My big gallstone has been pretty happy since getting a fair amount of fat and a minimum of apple acid flow through my gallbladder, since...) (As that was what sent me to the A&E a couple of times, I am very grateful for my gallstone being happy....)

Well, I will come in here and check in on you all - do we have corvid19? Are we getting it more than our non diabetic/insulin -esistant-tendancy friends? Dare I say - are we dying more? (If I get it and die, you won't see me in here anymore... I guess....hmmm). we shall see?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
It makes sense to me that T2s, who are essentially carb intolerant, should have greatly improved health when they go low carb. Just as if you have a food allergy, your health improves when you stop eating the thing you are allergic to.

Not sure what the situation is for T1s (and yes I am low carb, less than 80g per day). My understanding is that we may have compromised immune symptoms????

Good luck everyone, stay safe.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
There are varying pieces of info on the social isolating and distancing on here and as far as I am aware the advice for diabetics at the moment is to practice social distancing , apparently if you are in the % of people in the higher risk category ( of which diabetics are ) then you/ we will be contacted directly to explain the “ advanced “ measures to take. At this point in time it is only advisory. There are numerous threads on this subject on this forum. However this does prove that as always in situations like this information if not direct has varying interpretations, and as I said at the beginning of this post this is only how I interpretate it.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi there, I don't think it is a question of us being more likely to catch it but if we do catch it, for type 1s (sorry not sure about specific probs for type 2s etc), we have a wonky immune system so as it's trying to fight off those invaders, other things slip through such as pneumonia. Now that is not very scientific I know, you'll have to google for that but anyone with an autoimmune condition is therefore at greater risk of more severe complications. x

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was this from our own main web site diabetes.co.uk or from the other main UK site - diabetes.org.uk who appear to have a risk questionnaire set up online, so may well be emailing results to participants?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are varying pieces of info on the social isolating and distancing on here and as far as I am aware the advice for diabetics at the moment is to practice social distancing , apparently if you are in the % of people in the higher risk category ( of which diabetics are ) then you/ we will be contacted directly to explain the “ advanced “ measures to take. At this point in time it is only advisory. There are numerous threads on this subject on this forum. However this does prove that as always in situations like this information if not direct has varying interpretations, and as I said at the beginning of this post this is only how I interpretate it.
That higher % who will be contacted I s not diabetics. It is cancer patients, transplant patients etc.

There are 3 levels.

1. Most people.

2. Higher risk (us in here generally)
We are advising those who are at increased risk of severe illness from coronavirus (COVID-19) to be particularly stringent in following social distancing measures.
This group includes those who are:
3. Highest risk of all - who will be contacted next week

People falling into this group are those who may be at particular risk due to complex health problems such as:​
  • people who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication
  • people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radiotherapy
  • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any stage of treatment
  • people with severe chest conditions such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma (requiring hospital admissions or courses of steroid tablets)
  • people with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults
)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
That higher % who will be contacted I s not diabetics. It is cancer patients, transplant patients etc.

There are 3 levels.

1. Most people.

2. Higher risk (us in here generally)
We are advising those who are at increased risk of severe illness from coronavirus (COVID-19) to be particularly stringent in following social distancing measures.
This group includes those who are:
3. Highest risk of all - who will be contacted next week

People falling into this group are those who may be at particular risk due to complex health problems such as:​
  • people who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication
  • people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radiotherapy
  • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any stage of treatment
  • people with severe chest conditions such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma (requiring hospital admissions or courses of steroid tablets)
  • people with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults
)

Oh blow!!!! Looks like I will be contacted next week

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I do wonder what the scientific evidence is for Diabetes to be on the list. My wife has Stage 4 CKD and this virus does damage the kidneys yet it's not mentioned. It's become a bad habit for diabetes to always be listed in restrictions for anything. I've seen it listed in theme park joy rides for example. I'm sure you are more vulnerable if you have consistently high BS or suffering from long term unmanaged T2 but otherwise I doubt it?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I do wonder what the scientific evidence is for Diabetes to be on the list. My wife has Stage 4 CKD and this virus does damage the kidneys yet it's not mentioned. It's become a bad habit for diabetes to always be listed in restrictions for anything. I've seen it listed in theme park joy rides for example. I'm sure you are more vulnerable if you have consistently high BS or suffering from long term unmanaged T2 but otherwise I doubt it?
I guess because most aren’t keeping good glucose levels. People here are the exception as they tend to be more engaged and motivated than the general diabetic population. Although those of us with an autoimmune type of it may well be at greater risk as our immune systems aren’t so much weak as misguided. This virus is thought to have strange effects on an already wonky immune response. And when on insulin, the hyperglycaemia and potential DKA that often comes with illness could lead us to need medical assistance in this case. So I suppose it’s not that we’re more at risk of catching the thing, but we could use up a hospital bed if/when we do. But as a very well controlled T1, I don’t think I’m at any greater risk than a pancro-norm. I have all the tech to keep me as well as possible, I’m so lucky in that regard.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Prolonged high blood sugars can do damage to the lungs the virus gives the lungs a particularly nasty bashing.

Me I have no immune system to speak of as preds suppress the immune system I have decided to cut my preds down to a minimum hoping that my immune system bounces back a bit but not enough to kill me. It's a gamble.