mayonnaise

marzak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
inactivity, being stuck indoors
is there any mayonnaise (shop bought ) available in the uk made with eggs and olive oil? ive only just noticed that hellmans is 78 percent rapeseed oil..
Rapeseed oil is lowest bad cholesterol available and grown in UK. Palm oil is bad. Olive oil is good too. Have you a dietary issue with rapeseed? I'm sure if you check Holland and Barrett website or Waitrose you may find an alternative mayonnaise.

marzak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
inactivity, being stuck indoors
I'd second that! But it's definitely expensive, so I tend to buy an extra jar or two when Ocado has it on offer.

However I've also used Hellmann's for donkeys years, and there's only a small quantity of oil in a dollop of mayonnaise. I have nothing against rapeseed oil apart from the fact that it's been grown very locally and the pollen used to give me rather bad hay fever...:bigtears: :eek:
You might develop some resistance to hay-fever by eating the oil isn't that how locally produced honey works (not that we diabetics can eat it )

M

Member496333

I wouldn’t touch rapeseed oil with someone else’s oily stick. The majority is inflammatory toxic soup just like any other heat and solvent extracted ‘vegetable’ oil. Sure, it’s available in cold pressed varieties, but I highly doubt those are typically found in processed slop like commercially produced mayonnaise.

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn’t touch rapeseed oil with someone else’s oily stick. The majority is inflammatory toxic soup just like any other heat and solvent extracted ‘vegetable’ oil. Sure, it’s available in cold pressed varieties, but I highly doubt those are typically found in processed slop like commercially produced mayonnaise.
that was my view on rape oil @Jim Lahey .and on the same line i note the first cooking oil to be emptied fromthe supermarket shelves has been the cheap sunflower /seed oils....does anyone remember the shelves of this stuff disapearing and used for fuel in diesel vehicles some years back ?

Reactions: Member496333
M

Member496333

...note the first cooking oil to be emptied fromthe supermarket shelves has been the cheap sunflower /seed oils....does anyone remember the shelves of this stuff disapearing and used for fuel in diesel vehicles some years back ?

It should also be noted that they were first invented to be used as fuels and lubricants. It was apparently Procter & Gamble who decided we should start feeding them to humans. A bit of marketing with the help of their partners at the American Heart Association, and the deed was done.

In combination with massive use of nicotine, these oils were almost certainly the chief architects of the heart disease crisis in the 1950's that brought about the conception of the diet-heart hypothesis in which real saturated fats and dietary cholesterol were wrongly convicted, no trial, no jury.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
ive tried it with one whole egg, olive oil ( not extra virgin) and give it a whizz with my cheap stick blender ..result ..slightley overpowering taste of the oil and thinner texture than shop bought..ive seen the adverts on the tv for the bamix my attempt wasnt the same...
The Bamix has different blades for different functions and it makes a big difference, just between the aerating and the beating versions which look very similar. It is well worth investing in a set as seen on the TV selling channel with the little mixing additions for when you don't want to be cleaning out a big food processor.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always made v thick yummy mayo using a very cheap stick blender, and this method:

takes about 10 seconds

Reactions: Rachel_Brett

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always made v thick yummy mayo using a very cheap stick blender, and this method:

takes about 10 seconds
Sadly, I seem quite incapable of obtaining the same result - and I tried olive (pomace), avocado and liquid coconut oils. Never foams up / thickens... I've seen a carnivore version made with duck fat, I have to try that (as at present I'm not eating plants anyway).

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly, I seem quite incapable of obtaining the same result - and I tried olive (pomace), avocado and liquid coconut oils. Never foams up / thickens... I've seen a carnivore version made with duck fat, I have to try that (as at present I'm not eating plants anyway).

My understanding is that the proportion of mustard to egg yolk is the vital thing to thicken it up, and that holding the blender foot over the egg yolk to start with, makes a huge different. Also the precise order the ingredients are added to the mix.

Not that I am suggesting you aren't doing all those things!

Reactions: Larissima

Divia

My understanding is that the proportion of mustard to egg yolk is the vital thing to thicken it up, and that holding the blender foot over the egg yolk to start with, makes a huge different. Also the precise order the ingredients are added to the mix.

Not that I am suggesting you aren't doing all those things!
I'd like to try making it, too. What oil do you use? Would you share your recipe? Thank you!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd like to try making it, too. What oil do you use? Would you share your recipe? Thank you!

see my post above, it is all explained in the video. I’ve used sunflower, light olive oil and rapeseed oil. The light olive oil is my favourite.

EdSanRol

Any of you every tried making mayo based on chickpeas? I do that. (Instead of the yolk)
I lowers the s/FATg and that is an important thing in controlling my cholesterol.
It happens to thicken more easy too.

I second that mustard and a bit of lemon juice helps a lot too

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any of you every tried making mayo based on chickpeas? I do that. (Instead of the yolk)
I lowers the s/FATg and that is an important thing in controlling my cholesterol.
It happens to thicken more easy too.

I second that mustard and a bit of lemon juice helps a lot too
Likely much higher carbs though and that matters far more to me that the myth that is the entire cholesterol debate.

Statins if you are on them can raise bgl and even cause diabetes and have Ustinov le benefits according to all the latest research. Take a look at this thread, it will raise your eyebrows. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/

Reactions: EdSanRol