COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On the additional risks to PWD.

The rates of 9% of those PWD who actually catch CoV and the 7% overall is also still under revision.
They are actually from Early WHO and China data, most of which is linked earlier in this discussion.

These figures are best considered in COMPARISON with the 0.9% of those without coexisting conditions.

Whatever, it shows we would be prudent to be rigorous with social distancing.

Again all these figures may vary as treatment improves and we get more prolonged data on the progression of those ill.
Please Stay Safe.

Last edited:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
The more I read, the more I think that 'people who have diabetes' have all been included in one category without any differentiation between people who have diabetes and are otherwise healthy, and people who have diabetes with hypertension and or kidney problems etc.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria I read on another thread that you were contacted out of the blue by the asthma nurse to check your management though you havent had particular issues for many years. That made me wonder about checking on how Diabetics are managing. Do you think they are just picking out patients in the “at risk” illnesses who havent been seen for some time and may be under the radar. Maybe they will do similar with Diabetics who they know are struggling or havent seen for a long time. I am surprised they have the time and resources though maybe just emailing/texting advice to those with relevant illnesses could be effective.

Sorry, I haven't got a clue!
If I had to speculate, I wonder if my surgery ended up with an asthmatic nurse who couldn't be used to deal with patients any more - because of the risk her own asthma placed her. So she has been put on doing phone reviews instead.
I definitely wouldn't assume that this is a national programme. I think they are probably very busy with other stuff at the mo...

- but as I say, that is speculation.

Probably worth any people with asthma making sure they have their supplies though!

Last edited:

Damtov8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have a pair of wraparound glasses and a wraparound full face plastic transparent visor which I use for my work of making Stained glass Mosaic. I know that people are going to laugh at me but it will definitely stop me touching my face when I am out and if somebody coughed in my direction I don’t think the droplets will get round it or through it. So I guess I am going to try it as I have to go to get some food. And I have a soft toothbrush, which I am very careful to touch only by the end of the handle, and I can use it to scratch my face if needed!

Reactions: HSSS

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't think it's going to matter much
What Boris says.... People are already deciding.

London
Rush hour this morning.

IMG-20200318-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20200318-WA0003~01.jpg

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is anybody antibac wiping their mail when it arrives? My OH working from home has so far this week received two courier deliveries of docs and we are both in the vulnerable groups.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not sure if this is the right place to put this or even if there is a 'right place' but a friend has sent me a link to an article from The Korea Times related to Covid and blood groups.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2020/03/119_286376.html

Just realised that I have no idea what my own blood group is!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is anybody antibac wiping their mail when it arrives? My OH working from home has so far this week received two courier deliveries of docs and we are both in the vulnerable groups.

No.
We just open the packages, dispose of the packaging into the recycling, and then wash our hands - which is no different from what we have always done. Some of the packages are dirty.

I am, however, going to stop using the touch screen signature thingy. Can't believe that they are still using them.

Reactions: LucySW and Chook

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
More than half my online order being delivered today is unavailable and unreplaceable. Many items reduced in quantity. No loo roll requested I would add!

(No account made of size of household I note. We 5 adults get the same as a single person)

This is my first attempt at online shopping to avoid going in person as an at risk category. So do we keep waiting ever longer times for delivery only to find significant and maybe increasing amounts missing or risk going in person constantly to try and catch stock in place?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: urbanracer
M

Member496333

The more I read, the more I think that 'people who have diabetes' have all been included in one category without any differentiation between people who have diabetes and are otherwise healthy, and people who have diabetes with hypertension and or kidney problems etc.

Yeah this is my take on things at the current time. Basically anyone who is on the spectrum of hyperinsulinemia - ergo has one or more elements of metabolic syndrome - seems to be at a markedly higher risk of being affected by COVID-19. A diabetes label means little without context.

If there is any truth in the above hypothesis then metabolically wrecked countries such as the US, UK, New Zealand and Australia are going to be in for a rough ride :shy:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
More than half my online order being delivered today is unavailable and unreplaceable. Many items reduced in quantity. No loo roll requested I would add!

(No account made of size of household I note. We 5 adults get the same as a single person)

This is my first attempt at online shopping to avoid going in person as an at risk category. So do we keep waiting ever longer times for delivery only to find significant and maybe increasing amounts missing or risk going in person constantly to try and catch stock in place?

My parents, who online shop with Sainsbury's have rec'd a couple of emails about this from the head honcho.
Basically, they seem to be taking several measures to deal with this
- stores are going to restrict the first hour of opening to customers at risk (the elderly were specifically mentioned, but no idea about other groups)
- they are expanding their click and collect service
- they are 'working hard' to increase their supply lines
- they are restricting orders to 3 or 2 items for certain high demand lines
- they are 'working hard' to increase their home delivery capacity

Obviously this all takes time.

I should imagine that all the other supermarkets are either doing the same or will start looking at them rapidly
Our local large tescos is starting to close overnight, allowing more shelf filling time.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheers for that. :meh:Another tick in the at risk category and absolutely nothing I can do about this one.

Sorry HSSS. Have continued reading about blood groups (by typing 'diabetes and blood groups' into Google) and there seems to be some correlation between types A and AB in terms of the prevelance of T2 anyway, so it's a complicated picture and probably a bit of a red herring.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry HSSS. Have continued reading about blood groups (by typing 'diabetes and blood groups' into Google) and there seems to be some correlation between types A and AB in terms of the prevelance of T2 anyway, so it's a complicated picture and probably a bit of a red herring.
So I can blame my parents for giving me T2 then! A little smile on an otherwise tense day :)

Reactions: urbanracer

rossh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I spoke to my GP over the phone, for an unrelated diabetes or Covid question, but while I had her time I asked what the risk was for me personally, considering my age and my 'good' diabetes control. She said my risk is still slightly higher then other non-diabetics, but not significantly more considering my overall health, age and diabetes control.

I guess there are different levels of risk for all of us, based on our personal circumstances. Saying that, we know this virus can affect 'healthy' people in different ways too.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Tedrick69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
religious extremism
My husband and friend take these types of medications. My initial search turned up this last night.

In this video, pulmonologist Roger Seheult, MD discusses the hypothesis discussed in the Lancet Respir Med article published in the Correspondence section online 3-11-20...

Coronavirus Pandemic Update 37: The ACE-2 Receptor - The Doorway to COVID-19 (ACE Inhibitors & ARBs)

Also mentioned is an alternative medication. Not sure what my husband is going to do. He'll likely look into it today. He's been on this medication for years.

The doctor's conclusion: It's a hypothesis. Not sufficient evidence. Further study needed.
He and Dr John Campbell have very good and very helpful channels. I watch Dr John each night.