Diabetics R Us

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, shoot, I just read your post, @Hotpepper20000 so I'm afraid I won't be able to meet you and Judith, @JohnEGreen .

Hotpepper, seriously, it sounds to me like your government is doing the right thing. I've been thinking we needed a hard freeze down here (SE US) to kill this bug, but you're probably right that warmer weather and exercise out in the fresh air are a better idea.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Hotpepper20000

Well, shoot, I just read your post, @Hotpepper20000 so I'm afraid I won't be able to meet you and Judith, @JohnEGreen .

Hotpepper, seriously, it sounds to me like your government is doing the right thing. I've been thinking we needed a hard freeze down here (SE US) to kill this bug, but you're probably right that warmer weather and exercise out in the fresh air are a better idea.
We had -27 over night this last weekend. Don’t think that helped.
I think the measure taken are good for those who have a weak immune system. Most healthy people will be ok.
It is hurting our local economy. We already where struggling in this province. I don’t think most small business will survive.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We had -27 over night this last weekend. Don’t think that helped.
I think the measure taken are good for those who have a weak immune system. Most healthy people will be ok.

That is the most encouraging thing I have heard all day, and I'd been feeling very discouraged. Thank you for posting that. :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is hurting our local economy. We already where struggling in this province. I don’t think most small business will survive.

That would be horrible. Can your PM do anything to assist small businesses? Our Prezzy and Veep were talking about that sort of help for them here, along with the Treasury Sec. Can y'all's Treasury/Exchequer help?

Hotpepper20000

That would be horrible. Can your PM do anything to assist small businesses? Our Prezzy and Veep were talking about that sort of help for them here, along with the Treasury Sec. Can y'all's Treasury/Exchequer help?
There might be some tax breaks and such down the road. But it doesn’t help those who where barely surviving before.
I do think this will change the way businesses function.
We have a number of food delivery apps for restaurants so that will help keep them afloat.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been to the bank to pay in cheque but it was closed because of virus ,I looked on line to see if I could pay it in at the post office I need a paying in slip which I have and an envelope which I can get from the bank ,which is closed because of the virus !!.Here we go round the mulberry bush:banghead:
Carol

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been to the bank to pay in cheque but it was closed because of virus ,I looked on line to see if I could pay it in at the post office I need a paying in slip which I have and an envelope which I can get from the bank ,which is closed because of the virus !!.Here we go round the mulberry bush:banghead:
Carol

Some of my friends take pictures of checks with their phones and then use the bank's app to deposit the check.
Can you put the check in any envelope you have and put it into the bank's night depository?
Can you call the bank's central automated phone service? Maybe it has recorded instructions for how it's handling deposits -- and withdrawals! -- while it's closed.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Carol

Other ideas:
Sometimes grocery stores will cash checks. They may charge for the service.
Are any other banks open? They might cash it for you. They might also charge to do so.
Then at least you would have the money.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Carol

Don't laugh at this but is there not another branch of the bank in the area that you can get to.

Melody was with TSB and there where two branches she could use admittedly one was 10 miles from here and the other 14 miles.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@JohnEGreen Didn't you once post about being from Liverpool, and about accents and dialects? I seem to remember a conversation here ...
If so, I have a question. :)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't laugh at this but is there not another branch of the bank in the area that you can get to.

Melody was with TSB and there where two branches she could use admittedly one was 10 miles from here and the other 14 miles.
No
Carol

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Other ideas:
Sometimes grocery stores will cash checks. They may charge for the service.
Are any other banks open? They might cash it for you. They might also charge to do so.
Then at least you would have the money.
it's not a lot of money but just annoying !! All part of lifes rich pattern:arghh:
Carol

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Read a funny posting on social media today saying how the poster had been in Morrison's supermarket and come across a guy with a trolley full of toilet rolls and other items that people are stockpiling so he laid into him berating him for his selfishness in taking all those items when old people and others can't get stuff telling him he was a selfish swine and should be ashamed of him self and so on.

The guy replied that's all well and good sir but I work here and am trying to stack the shelves so if you don't mind I'll just get on with my job now if that's OK with you.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I did and ask away can't promise a sensible or cogent answer though. :)

Thank you. :)
I was watching a TV program about Irish folk music. An American violinist was learning to play Irish folk fiddle music. He was visiting Clare and Galway.
One of the Irishmen he met with had what sounded to me like an Irish accent, but with a Liverpool intonation. To me he sounded like George Harrison if George had been an Irishman (his mother was Irish).
So I just wondered if his was just another regional Irish accent.

I know, weird question.
t1801.gif

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It may be but don't forget Liverpool was once termed the second capital of Ireland a lot of Liverpudlians are of Irish extraction or are actually Irish so the Liverpool accent and some Irish accents can seem to have a lot in common.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It may be but don't forget Liverpool was once termed the second capital of Ireland a lot of Liverpudlians are of Irish extraction or are actually Irish so the Liverpool accent and some Irish accents can seem to have a lot in common.

Thank you. :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a degree in library service, I was trained in how to find answers.

Now it seems there aren't any answers.

I know that there have been other coronaviruses. I know that there have been other epidemics that have killed people. What I don't know is why this one is causing such widespread panic. I cannot find any information online as to how this coronavirus differs from previous ones. All I can find out is how it differs from the flu.
I KNOW it is different from the flu. What I want to know is, how is it different from previous coronaviruses, and why is it causing such widespread panic?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I'm not sure but remember in the SARS outbreak there was only about 8,000 reported cases and only 4 here in the UK out of those reported cases globally about 770 died so it killed about 1 in ten

This virus as spread more quickly and further and infected far more people globally as it seems to be transmittable even before symptoms become apparent .

But I must admit the reaction to the outbreak does seem to border on hysteria.

And the measures taken by governments other than the UK so extreme that I wonder if there is something else about it we are just not being informed of.

I like you am a little puzzled.

By the way did find one little snippet it seems the damage done to the lungs by this virus may cause long term or even permanent respiratory problems and there are some people asking for long term monitoring of patients after they recover.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, @JohnEGreen .

And the measures taken by governments other than the UK so extreme that I wonder if there is something else about it we are just not being informed of.

I've been wondering the same thing. From the beginning of this, that has worried me almost more than the disease itself.

By the way did find one little snippet it seems the damage done to the lungs by this virus may cause long term or even permanent respiratory problems and there are some people asking for long term monitoring of patients after they recover.

I've read that too.

I remember, way back, in the 1960s, hearing something about the world having more need to fear "Red" China than Russia. I was young, and my memory is vague, but I do remember something about it.
40-45 years does seem a long time for such a threat to be made manifest, though ...