Ulcerative colitis and type two.

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Hi i can’t find the forum for Ulcerative Colitis and type two Diabetis.
I’ve been type two 16 yrs and had U/C 29 years.
In 2008 I had a very bad flare up of U/C and was in hospital for two months. they stopped the Metformin as it was blocking the U/C meds Mesalazine (Asacol) resulting in the flare up.
my colon and rectum were both terribly inflamed and ulcerated. It was very horrible time.
I got e-coli C diff while in hospital.
I was given a temporary loop illiostomy that leaked. Had that for nearly two years until it blocked four times in as many months resulting in two weeks in hospital to fix it.
Then it was reversed ( awful surgery)
After that I had infusions of Infliximab regularly for five years. As I couldn’t have Asacol.
So for the last six years or so. I take nothing for the U/C but careful what I eat.
and Gliclazide, Poiglitazol, insulin pen for diabetes. Metformin is a problem for most people.
take care xxxx

Reactions: annabell1

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In 2008 I had a very bad flare up of U/C and was in hospital for two months. they stopped the Metformin as it was blocking the U/C meds Mesalazine (Asacol) resulting in the flare up.
my colon and rectum were both terribly inflamed and ulcerated. It was very horrible time.
I was given a temporary loop illiostomy that leaked. Had that for nearly two years until it blocked four times in as many months resulting in two weeks in hospital to fix it.
After that I had infusions of Infliximab regularly for five years. As I couldn’t have Asacol.
So for the last six years or so. I take nothing for the U/C but careful what I eat.
and Gliclazide, Poiglitazol, insulin pen for diabetes. Metformin is a problem for most people.
take care xxxx

Forgive me if I mis remember, but I'm pretty sure @annabell1 has UC alongside her T2.

It's good you have a new thread for this, as I'm pretty certain there are others I'm not remembering.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Happy hippy

I am in a similar position to yourself. I have Type 1 and colitis. My colitis is not as severe as yours. I have never required surgery. Like you I have to watch what I eat.

I was initially thought to have Type 2 but further investigation revealed I have Type 1.
I am currently on steroids which is making things challenging.

I hope things are going ok for you just now.

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Hi Happy hippy

I am in a similar position to yourself. I have Type 1 and colitis. My colitis is not as severe as yours. I have never required surgery. Like you I have to watch what I eat.

I was initially thought to have Type 2 but further investigation revealed I have Type 1.
I am currently on steroids which is making things challenging.

I hope things are going ok for you just now.

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Hi h884 Thanks for the reply. I’m sorry to hear your on steroids. I’ve had them a few times and never liked them. I’m not to bad at the moment. Trying to loose some weight with Slimming World.
im supposed to eat lots of fruit and veg but there’s a lot of sugar in most fruit and veg!
11gms in an Apple. . It’s so hard. take care x

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
take care xxxx
Hello @Happy hippy

I meant to reply yesterday but got sidetracked I currently have moderate to severe left sided colitis. And trying my best following this WOE but it can be a challenge at times with ulcerative colitis.

I became a steroid Induced T2D had a sever flare up of pan ulcerative colitis in 2011 was in hospital for 8 weeks, severely aneamic malnourished and had lost 20 killos in 2 weeks I stayed on steroids for 2 years. But unfortunately stayed T2D after coming of the steroids. I used to eat lots of white carbs because it was what could only tolerated plus steroids made me eat a lot. And Dietitians I seen basically had me eating high carbs as pet guidelines. But since Dec 2018 I've been doing my best at eating LCHF/PALEO/KETO and have lost 10 killos since but this is a combination of flaring and eating this way. And found that it helps with my T2D BSL when I do and also helps sometimes with symptoms of my moderate/sever left sided UC. I do still have my colon though and recently was hospitalised due to a flare up caused by campylobacter jejuni infection and was back on steroids which didn't help my BSL plus my eating was not exactly good as my body at times only tolerated foods not recommended for T2D.

By reading your post was wondering do you have a Stoma or J-pouch?
happy to chat with you about how I'm traveling doing my best following this WOE if you like let me know. All the best and cheers

I'm T2D and currently on januvia 100mg and was on 60mg of diamicron MR but before my recent flare got down to 30mg.

Im Currently on xeljanz for my UC but my last blood test my CRP is back up to 50 so my GI wants me to try another biological drug called Stelara, ustekinumab so waiting for GI to arrange approval for it.

Last edited:

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Happy hippy,

Thanks for your reply. I am hoping to get off steroids soon. I am now on a much lower dose.

Weight loss is a problem for me not weight gain. Not sure which is worse. It is not easy to gain weight.

If you can tolerate them raspberries and strawberries do not seem to cause my levels to rise as much as something like pineapple

Pleased things are going ok for you at the minute

Reactions: Happy hippy

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Hello @Happy hippy

I meant to reply yesterday but got sidetracked I currently have moderate to severe left sided colitis. And trying my best following this WOE but it can be a challenge at times with ulcerative colitis.

I became a steroid Induced T2D had a sever flare up of pan ulcerative colitis in 2011 was in hospital for 8 weeks, severely aneamic malnourished and had lost 20 killos in 2 weeks I stayed on steroids for 2 years. But unfortunately stayed T2D after coming of the steroids. I used to eat lots of white carbs because it was what could only tolerated plus steroids made me eat a lot. And Dietitians I seen basically had me eating high carbs as pet guidelines. But since Dec 2018 I've been doing my best at eating LCHF/PALEO/KETO and have lost 10 killos since but this is a combination of flaring and eating this way. And found that it helps with my T2D BSL when I do and also helps sometimes with symptoms of my moderate/sever left sided UC. I do still have my colon though and recently was hospitalised due to a flare up caused by campylobacter jejuni infection and was back on steroids which didn't help my BSL plus my eating was not exactly good as my body at times only tolerated foods not recommended for T2D.

By reading your post was wondering do you have a Stoma or J-pouch?
happy to chat with you about how I'm traveling doing my best following this WOE if you like let me know. All the best and cheers

I'm T2D and currently on januvia 100mg and was on 60mg of diamicron MR but before my recent flare got down to 30mg.

Im Currently on xeljanz for my UC but my last blood test my CRP is back up to 50 so my GI wants me to try another biological drug called Stelara, ustekinumab so waiting for GI to arrange approval for it.

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Hi Annabell1
Nice to hear from you. Sound like you’ve been through a bad time too.
ive looked into Keto type diets.
I had an illiostomy bag for couple of years. It was reversed after my colon had healed.
it’s a big operation and put me in HDU for five days.
the got E Coli C Diff. So was put in isolation.
I was told by diabetic dieticians to eat wholemeal everything.
but Gastrology consultant tells me not to have too much wholemeal.
it’s so annoying. I know I can’t cope with lots of salad stuff. And my bowel likes bread n chips lol
The Stelara drug you mentioned, I read it’s mainly to help Cronns disease and Psoriasis.
I haven’t heard of any of the drugs you mentioned.
For diabetes I take Gliclazide, Pioglitazone and inject Lantus insulin.
For the UC....I had 5 years of Infliximab infusions after the stoma reversal. I don’t take anything for my UC right now.
I try to eat for both UC and diabetes. BUT I’m afraid I look after my bowel more.
Which is why my blood sugar hbc1a was 90 last test.
Bye for now . Happy hippy.

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Hi Happy hippy,

Thanks for your reply. I am hoping to get off steroids soon. I am now on a much lower dose.

Weight loss is a problem for me not weight gain. Not sure which is worse. It is not easy to gain weight.

If you can tolerate them raspberries and strawberries do not seem to cause my levels to rise as much as something like pineapple

Pleased things are going ok for you at the minute

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
h884
Hi glad your gradually getting off the steroids. I found Predisalone a real pain. I hated taking them and weaning off them.
I can tolerate raspberry and strawberry. thanks
I’m a bit addicted to peanut butter and sliced banana on toast lol. That’s not helping my slimming world diet.
I gained half a pound last week
Have you tried the powdered drinks you can get to help with weight gain. I don’t know much about them, but I know people under weight use it.
Take care . Happy hippy

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Hi All.
My daughter called an ambulance for me last week at midnight as my bowel was blocked and I was vomiting.
it was awful.
After 4 1/2 hours in A & E I was admitted.
The consultant was very good and managed to massage the bowel inside my hernia. So I didn’t need surgery.
Loads of anti biotics/ paracetamol/ sliding scale and finger pricks every two hours.
I got out after 5 days
Being very careful what I eat now. xx

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All.
My daughter called an ambulance for me last week at midnight as my bowel was blocked and I was vomiting.
it was awful.
After 4 1/2 hours in A & E I was admitted.
The consultant was very good and managed to massage the bowel inside my hernia. So I didn’t need surgery.
Loads of anti biotics/ paracetamol/ sliding scale and finger pricks every two hours.
I got out after 5 days
Being very careful what I eat now. xx

Oh dear, Happy Hippy. I do hope you'll feel better soon.

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Thankyou MOD. I’m better now but I’m still aware that it could happen again. I saw consultant yesterday and I’ve refused elective surgery as I know my bloods are much to high for an anaesthetic.
I was told I really must loose weight but it’s so hard. if I eat salads and raw veg all the time I’ll be back in hospital
Stay well xx

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou MOD. I’m better now but I’m still aware that it could happen again. I saw consultant yesterday and I’ve refused elective surgery as I know my bloods are much to high for an anaesthetic.
I was told I really must loose weight but it’s so hard. if I eat salads and raw veg all the time I’ll be back in hospital
Stay well xx

Happy hippy, there is no reason to structure a diet around raw vegetables or salad - especially if it makes you poorly.

Whilst my colleague @Brunneria doesn't have unlcerative colitis, she does have some issues with her innards which have driven her to turn her back on vegetables.

I appreciate things are rarely as simple as a binary decision, but have you considered trying a carnivore diet for a while? Now, I have to say, you would almost certainly need an almost immediate review of the medication you are taking - unless your blood glucose numbers are very high at present - but it could be worth it, even for a while. Even as a tool to reduce your HbA1c to help enabling any surgery you might need?

Whilst my digestive issues are absolutely nothing like your own, I'm trying to get my head around trying dairy/lacto-free for a while, on top of my low carb and gluten free way of eating. I'm quite clear about the getting my head around it, because I (and anyone else making a big change) need to be in the right place to embrace it properly, and give it a decent trial.

I stress again, your medication would need to be reviewed.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Happy hippy

I've been following this thread since you started it, but haven't chipped in because my issue was rather different.
However, I can confirm that for me, going carnivore was the single best thing I did to settle my gut stuff down.
Please don't take that as any kind of suggestion that you will find the same thing.

Long story short:
Got Ghiardia, got rather ill, for a long time (basically irritable bowel), got gut permeability, felt v rough, malnutrition through malabsorption, couldn't tolerate any fibre at all, leaving me with meat, fish, eggs, cheese that worked. Also white carbs, but obviously couldn't tolerate them as a T2. Most people are over Ghiardia in weeks, but it took 2+ years for me to recover. Am now, still, rather scared of fibre in any veg form, but (strangely) can tolerate nuts.

Never for a moment in the past 50 years did I contemplate giving up veg - they were an endlessly interesting and varied part of my diet. However, following over 3 months in the loo, I embraced carnivore with a feeling of delighted liberation, and have been happy eating it since. There was a weird period of transition though, while my poor digestive tract emerged from its shocked and traumatised state and actually began to digest what I was eating.

Problem foods for me are most (all) veg, and any gluten, also FODMAP foods.